Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you prepare for bad economic times with no money?

How do you prepare for bad economic times with no money?
    With skills.

I know its pretty much whats been said already but I wanted to add a simple catchy answer.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by JebSanderson View Post
    This. Don't worry too much about being able to afford gold and silver, if you can't get clean water and food, you're dead. Learn to grow food in your yard. Oh and learn to shoot!
    How do you secure water long term if you live in an apartment with little storage space?
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    How do you secure water long term if you live in an apartment with little storage space?
    That is a good question. One I do not have an answer to. I live in 30 acres with 2 wells.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Your future is far more likely to look like Japan or Argentina, than some modified Mad Max scenario. Plan appropriately.
    I believe it will be similar to the high unemployment and hyperinflation in Argentina. That's why everyone should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Modern-Sur...5310877&sr=8-1

It was written by Fernando Ferfal Aguirre who lived through the hyperinflation and economic collapse they experienced in 2001. He talks about some inexpensive things to stock up on, but he also spends a lot of time talking about the best jobs to have, the best places to live, and the best skills to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    Just thought about this.

Store a few 1 gallon water bottles in your pantry, set up a rainwater collection system on the building roof, buy a good filter for your tap water (that probably will still work, but will likely be contaminated) and have a really clean toilet bowl if it gets that bad!

Quote Originally Posted by JebSanderson View Post
    Just thought about this.

Store a few 1 gallon water bottles in your pantry, set up a rainwater collection system on the building roof, buy a good filter for your tap water (that probably will still work, but will likely be contaminated) and have a really clean toilet bowl if it gets that bad!
    I can stock up on a few gallons of water but I'm not sure about the rainwater collection system. Instead maybe I'll locate a clean, fresh water source in the area.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBulldog View Post
    Save enough money for a plane ticket and a passport.
    May be overkill, but nonetheless an option.

If you have no money for oil, do you want to freeze like the elderly bulgarians? Perhaps moving to Florida might be nice. If 'civil' unrest hits the US, why not take a stroll over to Canada (get some family and friends there now).
    adapt or perish.

all this about farming, read about WW2. The cities were hit hard, BUT tons of food was 'allocated' to the cities. Do you think DC, NY, St Louis Boston are going to be left to rot vs the entire of state of Arkansas when money becomes tight? Do you want to be the last person to leave Detroit? Because you have no family elsewhere, no real skills?
    Last edited by LibForestPaul; 04-24-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post

If you have no money for oil, do you want to freeze like the elderly bulgarians? Perhaps moving to Florida might be nice. If 'civil' unrest hits the US, why not take a stroll over to Canada (get some family and friends there now).
    adapt or perish.

all this about farming, read about WW2. The cities were hit hard, BUT tons of food was 'allocated' to the cities. Do you think DC, NY, St Louis Boston are going to be left to rot vs the entire of state of Arkansas when money becomes tight? Do you want to be the last person to leave Detroit? Because you have no family elsewhere, no real skills?
    I'll just canoe across from northern Minnesota,
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by ZzzImAsleep View Post
    There are many people here talking about preparing for another crash, but my question is how do you prepare when you have no money? I can barely afford food right now, so gold and silver seem to be out of the question.
    Lots of good advice in this thread, but let's get down and dirty, simple and primal, shall we? Imagine you're in catastrophic deflationary depression-like times already. Like the Great Depression, with shortages, bread and soup lines, and signs everywhere telling people to take a hike and move on, as there's no work and no extra food available.

The position you are in right now is akin to one of the more fortunate people of the future. You can "barely afford food right now", but many around you can't even afford food. You'd be surprised what you can do working just within your present means.

If I was in your position right now my strategy would be very simple: Change my eating and food-buying habits NOW - because food prices are going up anyway. Way up. That includes non-perishable foods down the road - which is like buying silver and gold - a store of food value and hedge against food price inflation. When everything else skyrockets everyone else will start making serious food substitutions. You already have to spend money on food, so you have a budget for it. You can save yourself a lot of money and a lot of grief RIGHT NOW by staying WAY ahead of that wave - knowing which substitutions will be made and allocating resources to make those substitutions RIGHT NOW - while you have those foods are available, let alone cheap, and while you have the means to acquire them. Two of those - critical:

RICE AND BEANS: When combined the amino acids between them form a complete protein. Not a perfect protein, mind you, and not a perfect substitute for meat protein, but certainly good for sustaining life. You really can't have too much. Those are two cheap staples you can buy a lot of now IN BULK ONLY. You already know what you can get for $25 at a grocery store, and already know too well that it's not much. Ask yourself EVERY TIME you look at what you're buying at the checkout stand: will $25 worth of this crap last me as long as a HUGE 25 POUND BAG OF RICE? The answer will be no just about every time.

Get food storage buckets and put them in it. If you can't afford those, start collecting and hoarding used 5 gallon paint buckets. The idea is NOT to "save money on groceries", or to buy yourself "a little time". The idea is to invest in futures - future groceries TODAY. So be a fanatic about it and start stockpiling and hoarding. Be the idiot buying 25 lbs. of rice and 25 lbs. of beans that you don't even need today, tomorrow or next month - every time you turn around. Every time you do that, it's that much less dependence you will have on future food prices AND availability when it comes down to that.

I would immediately lose the bread, and count it a luxury item. It's too expensive at any price. Substitute rice instead, and start learning to love it and figure out a zillion ways to prepare it. Likewise, pinto beans as well as a variety of others, like kidney and white.

PASTA - there's your bread, your concentrated wheat source with a long shelf-life that won't mold or go stale. Buy it on sale, buy it in bulk, the competition in the pasta market is fierce. Elbow macaroni, spaghetti, all your favorite varieties, STOCK THE HELL UP. It is NOT difficult to get a year's supply of that in no time at all. For now, anyway. Not tomorrow.

Those are your cheap, plentiful foundation foods. That foundational rug can be yanked out from under you in the future, so stock up now. With the money you save, stock up on more - and you can give yourself a food budget buffer that will enable you to buy other things -- with what was once your grocery money.

GROW SAN MARZANO TOMATOES. The sauciest cooking tomato on Earth. Unlike pasty bland Romas, which are only good for cooking, San Marzanos are bigger and delicious straight off the vine, and pretty much anyone can grow them. Indeterminate (not a bush - you stake and prune the plant to size) one plant will give you a great vegetable source for eating, storing and combining with those rice and beans. I don't care if it's just one plant grown on a tiny patio, it can yield a ton, and unlike determinate varieties which yield a finite amount and die, indeterminates will yield for as long as growing conditions are right. The surplus tomatoes can be canned in used mayo jars (EASY). Just buy the seals, they're cheap. Get jars from friends for FREE. If you don't have the seals, or the lemon juice needed to preserve canned tomatoes, can them anyway in just clean used jars (many used lids will seal), and refrigerate to be safe. They don't have to keep forever, it's just to save money and make sure the surplus tomatoes aren't wasted.

Look for those kinds of substitutions - be in the future now.
    Last edited by Steven Douglas; 04-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Exactly what is it that do you want to protect yourself from?

For me, it's the police state. The nation is going to bankrupt. The problem with that is its going to try to bankrupt US to prevent itself from going bankrupt.

But what if you're already broke?

Can you accumulate savings in a nation that's trying to bankrupt us?

The question is, how can you survive the police state? Part of the reason the police state is needed is to take our money.

you'd be surprised how little interest the state has in you once you're broke

if an alien came to Earth tomorrow morning, he could be excused for thinking that the purpose of government was to locate money for its masters to steal.

Labour was the first price, the original purchase - money that was paid for all things. It was not by gold or by silver, but by labour, that all wealth of the world was originally purchased.”

Adam Smith
    Last edited by presence; 04-28-2012 at 09:29 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

boil vegetables and put it in a jar. Leverage on food that you can keep for long time without going bad. Buy silver and get a truck that runs on vegetable oil.

You should grow tobacco and roll your own cigars to sell...legally...of course... Tobacco seeds cost next to nothing and i've heard they are easy to grow. I've been thinking of doing it myself next year.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12