Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prepare for bad economic times with no money?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How do you prepare for bad economic times with no money?

There are many people here talking about preparing for another crash, but my question is how do you prepare when you have no money? I can barely afford food right now, so gold and silver seem to be out of the question.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the cash strapped? I want to be prepared, not just for bad economics times, but because it is smart to do so.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I recommend learning how to farm, fix cars, fix motorcycles, fix bicycles, and/or other trades. Perhaps build raised beds and a greenhouse. If possible, plant berry bushes on your property. If possible get some chickens.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Basically, this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I recommend learning how to farm, fix cars, fix motorcycles, fix bicycles, and/or other trades. Perhaps build raised beds and a greenhouse. If possible, plant berry bushes on your property. If possible get some chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    All good ideas. I would add learning the common welding methods so you can fix various damage around the house resulting from SHTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The only thing you need to survive is food and water. Learn how to garden and buy a few chickens. Garden provides plenty of good food. Chickens lay eggs (good for protein) plus the chickens multiply to provide further food source.

Figure out how to provide as many people with as much value in circumstances likely to arise in the future.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

Less is more. be creative.Everyone will be clinging to their useless possessions that can't fit in 1 briefcase...dont be that person clinging to more than a briefcase worth of items.

Exercise regularly. Cut out the junk food, cigarettes, and only drink booze occasionally.

Your health is one of the best investments you can make, and it doesn't cost anything to make improvements.

Being fit in times of turmoil is something you can't put a price on.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    Exercise regularly. Cut out the junk food, cigarettes, and only drink booze occasionally.

Your health is one of the best investments you can make, and it doesn't cost anything to make improvements.

Being fit in times of turmoil is something you can't put a price on.
    Very insightful and wise.

Your biggest concern will be keeping your domicile. If you cant make rent, you're out. If you cant make your mortgage payment, you're out. If you can't pay your property taxes, you're out. That means any gardening, ranching, or tradesmanship offered at the aforementioned residence will be toast as well. If you cannot get your pad secured by the time the SHTF, I would suggest moving in with a solid family member or close friend. Offer to help out in exchange.

My personal goal is to have only property taxes to pay. That should buy enough time for any temporary SHTF scenario to ease over.
    Last edited by tfurrh; 04-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

I have the ability to run off to the middle of nowhere and live off my grandfathers old farm...

But I live in Chicago instead, and as much as I want to run away I feel as though it's my duty as an American to keep fighting.

My advice to you is make sure you have at least 1 gun you really like (that's easy to reload) and buy a lot of ammo, the rest really doesn't matter imo.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Move to a liberal neighborhood that shuns gun ownership. It will be a turkey shoot when the SHTF.

Of course, I'm just kidding, I wouldn't do that...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Move to a liberal neighborhood that shuns gun ownership. It will be a turkey shoot when the SHTF.

Of course, I'm just kidding, I wouldn't do that...
    Of course you wouldn't, you don't have to move.

Seriously though, I'm with tfurrh--that's the goal whether tshtf or not. A secondary goal would be to produce enough from the land to cover the taxes and the firewood (30 acres, lots of woods, and it's heated by an outdoor wood boiler.) Heck, it'd be nifty to be able to cover the propane & electric strictly from production off the land too. Of course, all of that is dependent on selling my house, then buying the new one.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Heck, it'd be nifty to be able to cover the propane & electric strictly from production off the land too.
    Get Kludge on of these:
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

LibForestPaul

1. Health, as stated previously.
    2. Shelter is less important. From previous reading material, you may be forced to relocate, quickly.
    3. Connections, especially those in government.
    4. Government employment if possible.
    5. Fixing things, everyone will be fixing things. Doubtful fixing bikes will be helpful. Now, learning light trades (sheet rock, plumbing, electrical, automotive) to do your own repairs might be helpful.
    6. Planning, if required to move, where will you go? Family, friends...walk, hitch a ride?

http://jcharper.net/index.php?option...pens&Itemid=12
    http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...p?f=32&t=16627

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/search?up...-paginate=true

http://www.grabtheapple.com/forum/ge...your-haiti-bag

www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness
    /Preparedness.pdf

Note: Take the above in slowly...

people seem to be preparing for nuclear war... that's not how it's going to go down

To prepare for the future, acquire skills, not things. Things can (and likely will) be taken from you, skills cannot. People who think that having money will protect them are wrong; no asset will be safe from this government's ravenous craving to deny the simple requirement of responsible financial behavior - a balanced budget.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am hopeful that we have 10 more years.

My main goal is to buy a home with 1-2 acres for less than $40k, which is reasonable in east TN. I think I can have that paid off in ten years.

In the mean time I plan to be cultivating the 1-2 acres with garden vegetables and some chickens. We will be canning the vegetables.

I would like to have a natural gas well on my property along with an emergency generator that runs on NG and is hooked up directly.

Hunting and fishing will be essential too. I would prefer to have my land adjacent to a large area of woods such as a state forest.

These are some of my thoughts about the next ten years.
    In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

What countries will be hit? I would think with this global economy most countries should fall like dominoes.

So what currencies may be strong after the fall besides gold? I know this thread is about if you don't have money but figured I would ask anyways.

"no asset will be safe from this government" you probably are right. When the SHTF the government may confinscate your assets and redistrube or just use them for their own welfare. If you got a good food storage the government probably knows about it if you paid with plastic or debit/credit. I have heard that if they think you are stock piling that they may keep track of you. Of course these are rumors. You will have troubles moving money out of the country if SHTF.

You are probably right about having skills that will be needed. Just what will they be. I hear that farming will be one. Since there will be a food shortage more than likely. The trades like plumbing, mechanic, welder, etc... But what others do you think will be important.

I hear having land that is good for farming may be more valuable in the future.
    Last edited by rockerrockstar; 04-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.

3 most important future commodities are adaptability, endurance and luck.

You're a titan of insight. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    Lol , I am good then , LOL

Wow I appreciate all the insight. I'm hoping we don't get into a SHTF type scenario for another year or two at least. Any earlier than that and I am screwed.

I'm actually actively trying to downsize my possessions as I have too many useless things lying around that I haven't looked at or used in years.

When I was younger and my most inquisitive daughter would point to scars on me and asked what happened , I would tell her , and usually started out with ' I was lucky " , she would look at me , like she was not so sure I was lucky . I think she gets it now , I should have been dead .

Save enough money for a plane ticket and a passport.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBulldog View Post
    Save enough money for a plane ticket and a passport.
    May be overkill, but nonetheless an option.

If you have no money for oil, do you want to freeze like the elderly bulgarians? Perhaps moving to Florida might be nice. If 'civil' unrest hits the US, why not take a stroll over to Canada (get some family and friends there now).
    adapt or perish.

all this about farming, read about WW2. The cities were hit hard, BUT tons of food was 'allocated' to the cities. Do you think DC, NY, St Louis Boston are going to be left to rot vs the entire of state of Arkansas when money becomes tight? Do you want to be the last person to leave Detroit? Because you have no family elsewhere, no real skills?
    Last edited by LibForestPaul; 04-24-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post

If you have no money for oil, do you want to freeze like the elderly bulgarians? Perhaps moving to Florida might be nice. If 'civil' unrest hits the US, why not take a stroll over to Canada (get some family and friends there now).
    adapt or perish.

all this about farming, read about WW2. The cities were hit hard, BUT tons of food was 'allocated' to the cities. Do you think DC, NY, St Louis Boston are going to be left to rot vs the entire of state of Arkansas when money becomes tight? Do you want to be the last person to leave Detroit? Because you have no family elsewhere, no real skills?
    I'll just canoe across from northern Minnesota,
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    Exactly what is it that do you want to protect yourself from?

For me, it's the police state. The nation is going to bankrupt. The problem with that is its going to try to bankrupt US to prevent itself from going bankrupt.

But what if you're already broke?

Can you accumulate savings in a nation that's trying to bankrupt us?

The question is, how can you survive the police state? Part of the reason the police state is needed is to take our money.

There won't be anywhere to go, not that a first-world American would want to live, anyway.

People, preparing for an end-of-civilization shock will impoverish you to no end. It's going to be a long, long slow grind downwards, marked by various local and regional wars - which a broke USA will not be able to keep under control - breaking out all over the globe.

Any disruption to civil order will likely be relatively brief, although a month or two of that with a rough barely-ordered equilibrium afterwards is not out of the question.

Your future is far more likely to look like Japan or Argentina, than some modified Mad Max scenario. Plan appropriately.

Buy a shotgun. Even if you have to sell something to get one, do it. Not only is it good for protection, it can feed you. They make shot to kill everything from small birds and rodents to large game. After that start stocking ammo and nonpersishable CHEAP foods (rice, canned goods, etc.). Do it as you can afford it, even if you only spend $10 to $20 a week. It's what I've been doing and I've got a nice supply now.
    Last edited by xFiFtyOnE; 04-24-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    Click here for a free copper round. Every three people you get signed up, you get another free round! NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

Sound personal relationships, barter skills, trade skills, nomadic mobility. You'll be just fine.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast