Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TX - Austin police chief complains of "vile threats" in wake of dog killing by APD cop.

Exclamation TX - Austin police chief complains of "vile threats" in wake of dog killing by APD cop.

At least he admits that APD is on a hyper footing.

Acevedo: 'Vile' threats aimed at APD
    Warns that 'mob mentality' is fueling outrage

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/a...s-aimed-at-apd

Updated: Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 11:31 AM CDT
    Published : Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012, 4:59 PM CDT

John Moritz

AUSTIN (KXAN) - Police Chief Art Acevedo said in an open email to Austinites on Wednesday that his department has been subjected to "vile" and "serious threats" in the wake of the weekend shooting of a resident's dog by an officer.

He also suggested that a "mob mentality" may be feeding the public outrage.

In the message, the chief pleads with those who are offended that an officer who was sent to the wrong address and fired on the barking dog to give his department the time it needs to thoroughly examine all aspects of the incident.

"I am one person, with a department to run, a city to protect, and a family to love," the chief wrote. "I assure you that we will have some positive outcomes out of this incident, but we have to conduct our review in accordance with the law and our own policies, regardless of public sentiment."

The message, which comes one day after Acevedo apologized to Michael Paxton, the owner of a blue heeler named Cisco, was attached to an equally emotional response to a resident who accused the department of "ignoring" the outrage over the dog's death.

"We aren't ignoring the tragic death of Cisco the dog," he said. "We are conducting a comprehensive review of the incident to include the officer's actions, as well as our protocols/training and will report our findings to Mr. Paxton and the community we serve."

Acevedo also pointed out that his department is still reeling from the April 6 shooting death of Senior Officer Jaime Padron during an otherwise routine call.

"This death had a profound impact on our officers, and part of our current on-going review is what impact, if any, did this recent tragedy have on our officer in terms of how he approached this incident and how he responded," the chief wrote.

"Did hyper-vigilance play a role, are our training, response protocols and policy best practices, what did the responding officer do right, what did he do wrong, what corrective action, if any is warranted, and what are the lessons learned. These are a lot of questions that have to be thoroughly explored and we can not allow a mob mentality to influence our follow-up in this matter."

Text of Acevedo's emails
    Chief Acevedo's response to the death of Cisco

We are receiving thousands of e-mails and telephone calls on this matter. Many of the written and telephonic contacts with members of our department have been vile, and included serious threats, including threats to shoot our officer(s). I personally crafted the following response and I apologize in advance if you are offended by this fact. I am one person, with a department to run, a city to protect, and a family to love. I assure you that we will have some positive outcomes out of this incident, but we have to conduct our review in accordance with the law and our own policies, regardless of public sentiment. After meeting with and personally speaking with Officer Griffin (who is part of a household that includes family dogs, like most of our police department families), I know he feels badly for Mr. Paxton and Cisco. Officer Griffin has requested to personally meet with Mr. Paxton to extend his condolences. I have extended this offer to Mr. Paxton and he has indicated he will contact me when he is ready to meet with Officer Griffin.

The hyper-vigilance issue I refer to below is something that we will have to consider and monitor closely throughout our department and it has to be part of our review. As to the mob mentality I reference below, sorry, but when people are calling us and directing profanity laced insults and threats toward our employee(s) in writing and on telephone calls, I can’t think of how else to describe it. While I expect to be subjected to public scrutiny, I don’t expect people in this department to be subjected to the treatment they are receiving. Finally, please share this e-mail with whomever you would like, I stand by every word.

Original Message:

Thank you for your e-mail. We aren't ignoring the tragic death of Cisco the dog. We are conducting a comprehensive review of the incident to include the officer's actions, as well as our protocols/training and will report our findings to Mr. Paxton and the community we serve. On April 6, 2012, Good Friday, an Austin Police Officer who was gunned down and murdered when he responded to a call of a “disturbance” at a Wal-Mart. This death had a profound impact on our officers, and part of our current on-going review is what impact, if any, did this recent tragedy have on our officer in terms of how he approached this incident and how he responded: Did hyper-vigilance play a role, are our training, response protocols and policy best practices, what did the responding officer do right, what did he do wrong, what corrective action, if any is warranted, and what are the lessons learned. These are a lot of questions that have to be thoroughly explored and we can not allow a mob mentality to influence our follow-up in this matter.

Again, all of these issues are being reviewed and our findings will be released. I am confident that as a result of Cisco’s death, some positive outcomes will result which will make it safer for our officers, the community we serve, and the pets we all love.

I have personally spoken to Mr. Paxton on more than one occasion and I publicly and privately expressed my condolences and apologized to him for the loss of his companion.

Please give us time to conduct a thorough and thoughtful review.

Sincerely,

ART ACEVEDO

Chief of Police

Austin Police Department
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The issue is that it wasn't very long ago that another Austin policeman killed someone else's dog. Art "can't turn down any freebie from Homeland Security" Acevedo promised that changes would be made then in the training of officers. It never happened. People are pissed and rightly so.

Austinites love their dogs. It's getting a lot of coverage from the local news. You can tell they think this shooting was flat out wrong.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 04-19-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Dog Lovers Are Now Enemies of the State

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewr...es/110242.html

Posted by Christopher Manion on April 19, 2012 10:07 AM

Clueless police seem to like intimidating the public by shooting the dogs belonging to the innocent citizens they're supposed to be protecting. In Tennessee, it took a federal jury to force the Tennessee Highway Patrol, kicking and screaming, to admit wrongdoing (the Cookeville, Tennessee police had already settled for $75,000) when a family's dog was shot "by mistake."

In the latest intimidation installment, "officer" (how he demeans the term) Thomas Griffin shot Michael Paxton's dog on Good Friday after Griffin trespassed on Mr. Paxton's property "by mistake," pulled a gun on Mr. Paxton, and then shot and killed Mr. Paxton's dog, Cisco.

Business as usual for Austin's finest, but the public didn't roll over and play dead. After 90,000 people expressed their outrage on Facebook, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo was finally forced to pretend to apologize, but he didn't let his contempt for the public to stay hidden for long. He now blames a "mob mentality" for the massive wave of criticism of his department. That calumny, of course, gives Acevedo an excuse to call Janet Napolitano's black helicopters (now circling Chicago) and their heavily-armed thugs, undoubtedly trained in Nisoor Square, to Austin to put the uppity masses in their place.

Here we see the Orwellian dialectic at work: a rogue policeman trespasses and kills, but those who protest are at fault! They are the criminals! Therefore they must be taught a lesson! Anyone who complains is now subject to harassment and arrest as an enemy of the state, and can be indefinitely jailed without charge. Moreover, the NSA and Homeland Security will undoubtedly i.d. every one of those ninety thousand contemptible upstarts and target them. And, when Mr. Paxton sues Acevedo and Griffin, the government lawyers will undoubtedly demand that anyone who loves dogs — or liberty — be excused from the jury.

UPDATE from A.N. in Austin: "Watch the video. Acevedo will never discipline Griffin. In Austin, Affirmative Action rules, and the cops always cover for one another anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    The issue is that it wasn't very long ago that another Austin policeman killed someone else's dog. Art "can't turn down any freebie from Homeland Security" Acevedo promised that changes would be made then in the training of officers. It never happened. People are pissed and rightly so.

Austinites love their dogs.
    I was hoping you'd comment on this.

I'm sure I must have come across that.

That was before the cop got shot at the Wal Marx correct?

So being hyped up over that isn't an excuse, is it?
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-19-2012 at 01:54 PM.

SO DONT SHOOT PEOPLES DOGS AZZHOLE!

I wonder how much longer it will be before a cop gets shot by a dog owner who just witnessed his dog getting killed by said cop....
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 04-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Denial and cover-up are human nature, and there is no doubt that is what this "Chief" is doing.

"I am one person, with a department to run, a city to protect, and a family to love," the chief wrote. "I assure you that we will have some positive outcomes out of this incident, but we have to conduct our review in accordance with the law and our own policies, regardless of public sentiment."
    Translation: Protecting and serving are at the very bottom of the list of priorities. It's like the manager of a McDonald's saying "I have a lot of things to do other than serve hamburgers to customers".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Denial and cover-up are human nature, and there is no doubt that is what this "Chief" is doing.

Translation: Protecting and serving are at the very bottom of the list of priorities. It's like the manager of a McDonald's saying "I have a lot of things to do other than serve hamburgers to customers".
    I got 99 problems...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Police Chief Art Acevedo said in an open email to Austinites on Wednesday that his department has been subjected to "vile" and "serious threats" in the wake of the weekend shooting of a resident's dog by an officer.
    Bull. $#@!.
    Put your money where your mouth is, $#@!vedo.
    I want to see what these "threats" are.
    If there's anything you've taught us over the last decade, it's that any threat to the thin blue line will be thoroughly and utterly crushed.
    Unless they produce proof that credible threats happened, I'm going to assume (with 99% certainty) that these "threats" are nothing more than polite expressions of disapproval, which, in our not-yet-complete police state, you're still, thankfully, incapable of stopping in the manner we know you'd try first if it didn't cause an armed revolt.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Police Chief Art Acevedo listens to Alex Jones and has been on his show.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

In the message, the chief pleads with those who are offended that an officer who was sent to the wrong address and fired on the barking dog to give his department the time it needs to thoroughly examine all aspects of the incident.
    Translation - "We need just a bit more time for you to forget all about this, so we can move on the the next outrage we are going to commit."
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Translation - "We need just a bit more time for you to forget all about this, so we can move on the the next outrage we are going to commit."
    this my friend is the effing truth.

People in austin are probably still pissed about the police shutting down the highways during rush hour for the cop that got killed.

Maybe the reality that police aren't their for the people will start sinking in in Austin.

"mob mentality" may be feeding the public outrage.
    When it comes to police abuse, theft, murder and violation of civil liberties, "mob mentality" is something we need more of.

The dashboard video indicated that the cop blew the dog away mere seconds after he left his car. A gross overreaction, at best. No one needs cops who are that trigger happy roaming the streets- next time he loses his cool, it might be a kid that gets shot.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    I wonder how much longer it will be before a cop gets shot by a dog owner who just witnessed his dog getting killed by said cop....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    When it comes to police abuse, theft, murder and violation of civil liberties, "mob mentality" is something we need more of.

Eventually he will say this. “I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in him a terrible resolve!”

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Police Chief Art Acevedo listens to Alex Jones and has been on his show.
    I judge someone by their actions, not whether they listen to Alex Jones.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

I was hoping you'd comment on this.

I'm sure I must have come across that.

That was before the cop got shot at the Wal Marx correct?

So being hyped up over that isn't an excuse, is it?
    The policeman was killed at WalMart on April 6. The dog was killed on April 16.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    That would be when it happens to MY dog.

I judge someone by their actions, not whether they listen to Alex Jones.
    A good Christian woman doesn't judge people.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

The policeman was killed at WalMart on April 6. The dog was killed on April 16.
    I was thinking of the first of the two recent dog killings by APD.

The issue is that it wasn't very long ago that another Austin policeman killed someone else's dog.
    That dog was killed before the Wal Marx shooting, correct? (for the life of me I can't recall the details of that story, although I know I read it)

I know Cisco the dog was killed after.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    A good Christian woman doesn't judge people.
    I never claimed that I was a good Christian. Plus, Danke, do you honestly believe that God wants us to put our brains on hold with regard to public officials? I think not.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 04-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian4321 View Post
    The dashboard video indicated that the cop blew the dog away mere seconds after he left his car. A gross overreaction, at best. No one needs cops who are that trigger happy roaming the streets- next time he loses his cool, it might be a kid that gets shot.

00:14 "SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!"
    00:16 "GET YOUR DOG!"
    00:17 BANG!!!

One minute later, after the dog is dead.

"Why didn't you get your dog when I told you to!"

"I didn't know you were here, you pulled a gun on me and told me to put my hands up, what was I supposed to do?!!"
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.

police chief complains of "vile threats"

I do not make threats.
    I don't live in Austin either.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

00:14 "SHOW ME YOUR HANDS!"
    00:16 "GET YOUR DOG!"
    00:17 BANG!!!

One minute later, after the dog is dead.

"Why didn't you get your dog when I told you to!"

"I didn't know you were here, you pulled a gun on me and told me to put my hands up, what was I supposed to do?!!"

Then around 8:55, the cop lies about how it happened.

That video about made me cry.
    We have allies many of you are not aware of. Watch the tube. Show this to your 30 and under friends. Listen to it. Even if you don't like rap, it has 2.7 million views.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmBnvajSfWU#t=0m16s

Cut off one min early to avoid war porn.

To all of you who are upset about this, and all government intrusion into your lives:

"Go in the house!"

Last edited by Philhelm; 04-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm View Post
    To all of you who are upset about this, and all government intrusion into your lives:

"Go in the house!"

And this will continue to happen until neighbors become neighbors and communities become communities and stand arm and arm.

Would there be this amount of outrage if the cop had shot a human?
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Would there be this amount of outrage if the cop had shot a human?
    It depends upon the situation. But yes, there has been outrage when it was believed someone was wrongly shot. With pets, it's much easier, as it is very difficult for the policeman to make the case that killing the pet was warranted.
    ================

I eagerly await the day the first American town or city votes to de-fund its police department, citing incidents like this and the seeming 500 others from 2012 as the reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast