Thread: Rand sponsors bill congratulating college basketball players

Rand sponsors bill congratulating college basketball players

I like Rand but he sure isn't his dad. This is exactly the sort of thing that Ron votes AGAINST in the House.

http://www.wtvq.com/content/localnew....cspx?rss=3441
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    I like Rand but he sure isn't his dad. This is exactly the sort of thing that Ron votes AGAINST in the House.

http://www.wtvq.com/content/localnew....cspx?rss=3441
    Politics is tricky.
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

This is exactly the sort of thing that Ron votes AGAINST in the House.
    That's not true.

Here's Ron Paul voting for the resolution congratulating the UNC basketball team in 09:
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll236.xml

He votes against resolutions when they deal with foreign countries.

no.
    i luv rand,but a couple years ago when i was able to lay on my ass and watch cspan i used to HATE when they would waste OUR TIME talking about high school basketball teams all while they were destroying our country through "legislation"

NO!

bad rANd!

Ron might vote for it if there is no cost to the taxpayers.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    That's not true.

Here's Ron Paul voting for the resolution congratulating the UNC basketball team in 09:
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll236.xml

He votes against resolutions when they deal with foreign countries.
    Interesting and good catch. I stand corrected. Im thoroughly confused now though. Ron has always said that it's not the business of Congress to do this sort of stuff.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

I'll take legislation like this over the patriot act any day.. If bills like this were all government did I wouldn't mind..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting and good catch. I stand corrected. Im thoroughly confused now though. Ron has always said that it's not the business of Congress to do this sort of stuff.
    He says its not the business of Congress to interfere in the affairs of other countries. He doesn't see a problem voting on resolutions regarding issues within the US. He does vote against the Congressional Gold Medals though because those require spending taxpayer money.
    Last edited by tsai3904; 04-18-2012 at 01:57 PM.

The U.S. Senate decided to keep the celebrations going for UK Basketball...by passing a bill Wednesday.

The resolution congratulates the Wildcats on their 2012 NCAA Men's Basketball Championship Victory. Senators Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul introduced the bill.
    I wish all legislators would occupy more of their time with meaningless commendations and less of their time to tyranny
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 04-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Also, Rand is learning one thing about Bluegrass politics: honor basketball by any means necessary.

He has lost my vote and support by not congratulating UofL as well.

/sarcasm...or not

Quote Originally Posted by yatez112 View Post
    He has lost my vote and support by not congratulating UofL as well.

/sarcasm...or not
    Murray State!
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

Anything That's Peaceful is a free pdf book available from FEE (Foundation for Economic Education). This bill might qualify if it doesn't cost us any more money - what else are the legislators going to do if any meaningful legislation would get vetoed? Also, note how the number of bills a rep or senator pushes through - regardless of their worth - is somehow a metric for political success.

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    Anything That's Peaceful is a free pdf book available from FEE (Foundation for Economic Education). This bill might qualify if it doesn't cost us any more money - what else are the legislators going to do if any meaningful legislation would get vetoed? Also, note how the number of bills a rep or senator pushes through - regardless of their worth - is somehow a metric for political success.

Silly metric... but true.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    There's never no cost to the taxpayers when a bill is passed. There is a cost merely to duplicating it, and having federal employees file it in various databases.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

He says it isn't the business of Congress to posture on the internal affairs of foreign countries or use tax money for things like medals. He has no problem with something like issuing a policy-free statement about a non-governmental matter at no cost to the taxpayer.

Can someone explain this to me who actually understands it, and isn't just here to criticize Rand without reading it?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I read the whole thing and there was no cost to the taxpayers.

They just said "congratulations". Oh no

He represents a state where a huge number of his constituents are happy and celebrating so he throws them a small mention that probably took five minutes and didn't detract from anything else. Good for him.

By the way I said the same thing when this was done by candidates I didn't like.
    Last edited by BlackTerrel; 04-21-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Even if this thing cost a trivial amount of money. Oh no. Who cares, as long as he votes to only spend a small amount of money overall that's what's important. You have to do some token gesture things to please the stupid masses, let's be honest. It's the big things that count.

Quote Originally Posted by HigherVision View Post
    Even if this thing cost a trivial amount of money. Oh no. Who cares,
    I guess... election politics I suppose. I personally find this type of legislation less than professional. He could have posted his congrats on a facebook page or a tweet. There are bigger fish to be fried and I like to see my politicians sticking to the issues at hand; which we have plenty of.

It reminds me of a time I was in the ER and the Doctor on call took the time to check sports scores before treating me.

It rolls off my shoulder, but...

disappointed really,

presence

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You guys are ridiculous.

First of all Kentucky Basketball is religion.

When predicting that UK would win the national title, a well known blogger said here:

In Kentucky, we care more about basketball than you do. In fact, we care more about basketball than you probably care about anything. No program's fans in America are more committed, passionate, or crazy than those of the Big Blue Nation. In college basketball, only three programs consistently matter: North Carolina, Duke, and Kentucky. The two Triangle schools have the unfortunate burden of being located where the citizenry has the most college degrees per capita in the nation. We in Kentucky don't have that distraction. North Carolina's wine-and-cheese crowd (as Sam Cassell so aptly termed them) has the Panthers, the Hurricanes, NASCAR, and the best college town in America to divert their attention, while Duke's nerdy, elitist-chic student body is too focused on entering our nation's top tax bracket to truly replicate our obsession with one college basketball team. I don't care what ESPN, its announcers, or HBO documentarians try to tell you … we care more than they do, and it isn't even close.
    And that's all you need to know, this isn't policy, this isn't binding, this is lip-service to the success of a basketball program during non-regular voting hours, which will cost the taxpayers all of a stamp to have a copy mailed to the University out of the franking budget of Mitch McConnell.
    Words without actions are the assassins of idealism.
    Herbert Hoover

It would've been hilarious is Rand filibustered this bill and demanded that a resolution was attached to it to officially end the war in Iraq in order for it to pass.