Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Did Ron Paul Convince you on Abortion?

He actually did not. It took my best friend telling me he chose life and his partner did not. And my other friend giving birth to his first daughter this morning. I was only looking at it conceptually when Ron Paul spoke of it, it effected me a lot more as I began to put myself in my friends shoes for some reason. Looking at how it effected my friend who currently isn't a father, and the one who became one today is what moved me away from being completely for abortion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Amash (R) MI-3rd
    "Young people want a Republican Party that believes in limited government and economic freedom and individual liberty, but they want a party that also acts on it.”

THE FUTURE OF THE GOP = R[∃vo˩]ution 2.0: Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by NOVALibertarian View Post
    First they ignore you= Ron Paul, 2007-2008
    Then they laugh at you= Ron Paul, 2012
    Then they fight you= Rand Paul, 2014-2015
    And then you win= Rand Paul, November 8th, 2016

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amartin315 View Post
    Consider a Jehova's witness on my yard. He has a right to life. I have a right to property. The reasonable thing to do is to kick the JW off my property if I dont want him there. I don't have a right to shoot him in order to get him off my property. If he refuses to leave peacefully, then I have the right to shoot him in order to make him leave, even though he has a right to life. We are balancing the rights of the two people. We apply a reasonableness standard based on the circumstances.

If I had invited the JW to my property and promised his father he could stay there for 9 months, then that changes the circumstances. I voluntarily waived certain rights to my property. Now it is not only unreasonable to ask the JW to leave, it is certainly also more unreasonable to shoot him if he doesnt comply.

EDIT: Now consider again the JW in my yard with no 9 month agreement. I don't have to decide, right as soon as the JW comes on my property, whether or not I want to hear more from him. I can wait and let him say a few words, or I can let him talk to me for hours, and I can still have the right to say GTFO. And then, if he doesn't comply, his right to life becomes moot.
    Not a good analogy as the JW voluntarily got on your property and could leave without violence. Here is a correct analogy.

You own a boat. You are in middle of the ocean. It's a 9 month journey until you get to port. There are no life rafts on your boat. There are two people on your boat that you decide you no longer want on. One is someone you invited on. The other was kidnapped by someone else and forced on your boat. Do you have more of a right to put the one who was kidnapped and forced on your boat off in the middle of the ocean to certain death than the one you invited on your boat?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by philipped View Post
    He actually did not. It took my best friend telling me he chose life and his partner did not. And my other friend giving birth to his first daughter this morning. I was only looking at it conceptually when Ron Paul spoke of it, it effected me a lot more as I began to put myself in my friends shoes for some reason. Looking at how it effected my friend who currently isn't a father, and the one who became one today is what moved me away from being completely for abortion.
    Very moving story. Thank you for sharing.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Not a good analogy as the JW voluntarily got on your property and could leave without violence. Here is a correct analogy.

You own a boat. You are in middle of the ocean. It's a 9 month journey until you get to port. There are no life rafts on your boat. There are two people on your boat that you decide you no longer want on. One is someone you invited on. The other was kidnapped by someone else and forced on your boat. Do you have more of a right to put the one who was kidnapped and forced on your boat off in the middle of the ocean to certain death than the one you invited on your boat?

Yes

No, but he made the position sound a lot more reasonable.

However I don't see any difference between a very early term abortion and pulling the fire alarm at a honey moon retreat.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by amartin315 View Post
    Yes
    You might feel that way, but any court of law would convict you of murder just the same. Not so if you threw the kidnapper himself overboard.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    No, but he made the position sound a lot more reasonable.

However I don't see any difference between a very early term abortion and pulling the fire alarm at a honey moon retreat.
    And that's why the morning after pill argument is so compelling. Most likely at this point we there hasn't even been fertilization. It is irresponsible for a woman who might not want to carry a rapists baby to say "Well....let me think about this for 5 months and get back with you."

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    You might feel that way, but any court of law would convict you of murder just the same. Not so if you threw the kidnapper himself overboard.
    One certainly has less of a right than the other to the ship captain's food and his toilet for the next 9 month voyage.

I believe late term abortions should absolutely be illegal, but I wouldn't call myself "pro-life". I'll just leave it at that.

No. My own personal experience in medicine and emergency services dealing with the underserved and uninsured flipped me from being vehemently pro-life to pro-choice.

I can only control my own choices and what I do with my own body. I don't feel it's within my right to impose my morality on anybody, and I want politics and politicians as far from the reproductive rights spectrum as they can possibly get.
    Last edited by Nirvikalpa; 04-14-2015 at 09:47 AM.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Ron Paul isn't pro abortion--he's anti-government sanctioned/funded by the taxpayers for abortion. He believes in the right for people kill their unborn, but at their own peril, cost and consequence and not others who don't believe in it. Let them answer to God and let God be their only judge and jury.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234