Thread: 20 years ago we "liberated" Kuwait from tyranny. How's that working out?

Exclamation 20 years ago we "liberated" Kuwait from tyranny. How's that working out?

Not so well it seems.

Now, don't get me wrong, a sovereign nation can do whatever it wants, even if tyrannical.

Thus the ridiculousness of liberating tyrannical countries from tyranny using US blood and treasure.

Also, yet another cautionary tale against using your real name and personal information on "social networks".

Kuwait mulls death penalty for insulting God, Prophet

http://www.france24.com/en/20120412-...-death-penalty

Kuwaiti lawmakers voted on Thursday in favour of a legal amendment that would make insulting God and the Prophet Mohammed punishable by death, following a furore over a Shiite man who allegedly posted defamatory material on Twitter.
    By News Wires (text)

REUTERS - Kuwaiti lawmakers voted in favour of a legal amendment on Thursday which could make insulting God and the Prophet Mohammad punishable by death, after a case of suspected blasphemy on Twitter caused an uproar in the Gulf Arab state.

Members of Parliament must vote on the proposal again in a second session and it would need the approval of the country’s ruler before becoming law.

The amendment was backed by 46 votes, while four opposed it and others abstained. Those in favour included all 15 members of the cabinet.

Blasphemy is illegal in Kuwait under a 1961 publications law and at present carries a jail term, the length of which depends on the severity of the comments and their perceived effect on society, lawyers say.

Islamist MPs proposed toughening the law last month after authorities arrested a Kuwaiti man they said had defamed the Prophet, his companions and his wife on the Twitter messaging site.

The man, identified by his lawyer as Hamad al-Naqi, has told police his account was hacked and he did not post the comments. He is now in pre-trial detention.

Dozens of Sunni activists protested to condemn Naqi, who is from Kuwait’s Shi’ite Muslim minority. Some members of parliament have called for him to be executed.

Shi’ite parliamentarians voted against the amendment on Thursday.

Several of Kuwait’s main newspapers have run editorials condemning Naqi, while others have accused Sunni activists of over-reacting.

Kuwaiti MPs from across the political spectrum have voiced concern about sectarian tension. Shi’ites make up about 30 percent of Kuwait’s 1 million native citizens.

Naqi’s lawyer, Khaled al-Shatti, told Reuters on April 3 that if his client was found guilty of insulting the Prophet the penalty would be one year in jail. If he was also convicted of « sedition » - specifically inciting strife - the penalty would be a maximum of 10 years in jail.

Twitter is popular in Kuwait, where many politicians, journalists and other public figures use the micro-blogging site to debate current affairs and share gossip.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not cool. I have family over there. And theyre Muslim.

Well you see AF, this was done through the democratic process so it's all good. /sarcasm
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

You can't liberate folks from what they want. It's a fools errand. Folk want tyranny, tyranny they get.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

we didnt fight Sadaam to liberate kuwait, our Military could give a $#@! less about Kuwait. It was a favor to the Saudis to put a dent in Iraqs military
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st

you remind me or this, AF:
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12