Thread: The KY-CD4 Field

The KY-CD4 Field

So, how does the field look? Are we getting an idea of who are the also-rans and who are the main players? Here's the breakdown from politics1.com:

District 4:
    [ Geoff Davis (R)* - Retiring in 2012. ]
    Marc Carey (R) - Attorney, Farmer & Blogger
    Thomas Massie (R) - Lewis County Judge-Executive, Businessman, Rancher & Mechanical Engineer
    Gary Moore (R) - Boone County Judge-Executive
    Brian Oerther (R) - Teacher, Tea Party Activist & '10 LaGrange Mayor Candidate
    Walter Christian Schumm (R) - Building Contractor
    Alecia Webb-Edgington (R) - State Rep. & Ex-State Police Official
    Tom Wurtz (R) - Business Consultant
    Bill Adkins (D) - Grant County Democratic Chair & Attorney
    Greg Frank (D) - Veteran

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, the main players against Thomas have always been Alecia Webb-Edgington and Gary Moore. Probably Alecia more than Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    How does Carey affect the race

Slutter McAGee
    Not very much thankfully.

And where does Massie fall in the field? When the media talks about the race, are they talking about Massie/Moore/Edgington?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hale View Post
    And where does Massie fall in the field? When the media talks about the race, are they talking about Massie/Moore/Edgington?
    The local media definitely recognizes Massie as a formidable contender. Possibly the favorite. Comparisons are already starting to be made to the Rand/Greyson dynamic. It's the establishment vs. tea party all over again like it was in 2010. It's pretty exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    The local media definitely recognizes Massie as a formidable contender. Possibly the favorite. Comparisons are already starting to be made to the Rand/Greyson dynamic. It's the establishment vs. tea party all over again like it was in 2010. It's pretty exciting.
    That works - so long as he's considered. I have no experience in the district, so I didn't know if he had traction or if this was RPF hype.

That works - so long as he's considered. I have no experience in the district, so I didn't know if he had traction or if this was RPF hype.
    lol...actually it isn't hype this time. This is definitely for real. We have a real shot at this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaBuddha2010 View Post
    lol...actually it isn't hype this time. This is definitely for real. We have a real shot at this.
    Cool. That said, I think a lot of these candidates have real chances. It's a shame that so many of our best candidates are attempting primary challenges, but hey, primary defeats are all the rage these days (I'm pretty psyched about Dan O'Connor in NY12, mainly because he's a Dem whose part of the movement)
    Join the Free State Project - www.freestateproject.org

Now that Rand is out - Gary Johnson 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Yeah, the main players against Thomas have always been Alecia Webb-Edgington and Gary Moore. Probably Alecia more than Gary.
    Are both his opponents establishment? What I am getting at is if they are going to be splitting the establishment vote, or if one of them is going to be trying to split the conservative/libertarian/teaparty vote with Massie.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    Are both his opponents establishment? What I am getting at is if they are going to be splitting the establishment vote, or if one of them is going to be trying to split the conservative/libertarian/teaparty vote with Massie.
    That's a viable concern. Massie's triangulation against his primary opponents could make or break him.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    Yes, they are both establishment and will probably split the vote. Some minor candidates might also appeal to tea partiers, but I don't see them gaining any ground. The most well known candidate other than the main three is probably Marcus Carey. Another thread in this board discusses him.

Cool. That said, I think a lot of these candidates have real chances. It's a shame that so many of our best candidates are attempting primary challenges, but hey, primary defeats are all the rage these days (I'm pretty psyched about Dan O'Connor in NY12, mainly because he's a Dem whose part of the movement)

If Thomas can win the primary, we are pretty much assured a win in the general. District 4 is the most affluent and conservative part of KY. Much of the grassroots conservative activism in the state comes from this area. Rand talks about this in The Tea Party Goes To Washington in the last chapter. The Northern Kentucky Tea Party was instrumental in Rand's win and will come through for Thomas hopefully.

Awesome, AB!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Yes, they are both establishment and will probably split the vote. Some minor candidates might also appeal to tea partiers, but I don't see them gaining any ground. The most well known candidate other than the main three is probably Marcus Carey. Another thread in this board discusses him.
    Any idea where that Marcus Carey thread is located? Thanks!
    I was thrilled when I heard Marcus was running for Congress, as I've been following him and his blog since the early days of Rand's campaign. I was not so thrilled anymore when this thread made me realize he was running against Massie. I wish we could convince him (Carey) to run for something else this year, as I think his true calling is to become the Junior Senator for KY in 2014.
    "There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that I think, was the handle. That sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave." ~ HST

Any update on Massie's primary field? Do we have polling yet?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any update on Massie's primary field? Do we have polling yet?
    Not that I know of. The only candidates who will have a district-wide footprint are Thomas, Alecia, and Gary. Alecia is starting to have some missteps and getting some flack for it. She could still rally though. Gary Moore is strangely the perceived front-runner (mostly because at this point the only thing people can guage is money). At this point, I can see Moore being more formidable than Alecia...its hard to tell though.

Talking with the staff makes me feel pretty good about our chances...of course I can't talk about any of those conversations because of all the other candidate's goons who are studying the front-runners messageboard

I might be going to a meet and greet tomorrow in Ft. Mitchell. I'd like to meet him, even if he is running in Kentucky.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

We covered all the candidates on Kentuckiana GrassRoots Radio tonight: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ky-grassroots-radio

Quote Originally Posted by clint4liberty View Post
    We covered all the candidates on Kentuckiana GrassRoots Radio tonight: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ky-grassroots-radio
    Okay, I don't have time to listen right now. Any word from Massie's race?