Thread: Google fined $25,000 for street data collection

Google fined $25,000 for street data collection

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Google Inc faces a $25,000 fine for impeding a U.S. investigation into the Web search leader's data collection for its Street View project, which allows users to see street level images when they map a location.

The Federal Communications Commission said the company had collected personal information without permission, and cited evidence that Google had "deliberately" refused to cooperate with the agency.

"Google refused to identify any employees or produce any e-mails. The company could not supply compliant declarations without identifying employees it preferred not to identify," according to an FCC order dated April 13.

"Misconduct of this nature threatens to compromise the commission's ability to effectively investigate possible violations of the Communications Act and the commission's rules."

Google could not be reached for comment.

Between May 2007 and May 2010, Google collected data from wifi networks throughout the United States and throughout the world as part of the Street View project, which gives users of Google Map and Google Earth the ability to view street level images of structures and land adjacent to roads and highways.

However, Google collected passwords, Internet usage history and other highly sensitive personal data that was not needed for its location database project, the FCC said.

Google publicly acknowledged in May 2010 that it had collected the so-called payload data, leading to an FCC investigation on whether it had violated the Communications Act.

Sounds like google been up to no good, o no's =/ and you tell them FCC with that hardcore 25k fine, that will show um!

Article here.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/google...234133914.html
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Posted by forum Member:

Obviously you've all heard that starting 03/01/12, Google is going to start releasing all of it's info to the Government. That's a big no-no in my book.

Bing said it's doing the complete opposite. They don't hold any records for more than 24 hrs (correct me if I'm wrong).

Apple is also switching to Bing for their "Maps".

Bing is also quicker with loading Maps and loading pics on a computer.

Does this mean the slow fall of Google?

google just made 25k from the time it took me to read this thread and post this
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

I was just thinking of this, and how to sue google to "pixel" out my property.