Thread: I agree with Newt Gingrich's education policy only, hope Paul's could be better

I agree with Newt Gingrich's education policy only, hope Paul's could be better

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    REally? So education costs should soar ever more? He always ignores the debt, spiraling cost part of it.... the economics. He has big ideas, but no way to fund them and this nations problem is not lack of PROMISES.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

SO how is Ron's policy on education better, at least have the DOE collect and research data.

His education plan is bull$#@! too.

Here's what they should do:

1. Eliminate government involvement from education
    2. Allow private companies to take over education
    3. Private companies should make most classes online, which would dramatically reduce costs
    4. Competition would increase value as well. Instead of spending 20 years in school to get one degree, you could graduate by the time you are 15 with 3-4 majors.
    5. Also, eliminate monopolies on professions that make these bull$#@! educational requirement to join their profession. All they do is destroy our educational system and force kids to go to school the whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy949 View Post
    SO how is Ron's policy on education better, at least have the DOE collect and research data.
    why would we want more bureaucracy? We want local control of schools because that is how education is better. We had no DOE until the late 70s and education has cratered since then.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Similar to ObamaCare. We would be offering our very health, and existence, to the state.

Why would people want the same with their education?
    "For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

You make it sound like it's easy to do but I would say that's the most dramatic change I have seen

You make it sound like it's easy to do but I would say that's the most dramatic change I have seen
    Everyone who was around before the late 70s HAS seen it, and remembers when our schools were the envy of the world. (except Japan )

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    why would we want more bureaucracy? We want local control of schools because that is how education is better. We had no DOE until the late 70s and education has cratered since then.
    It's like a crackhead asking for money, and saying "Well, I'm sure this time he won't just spend it on crack"...
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

Well somebody should research and collect data. I want less bureaucracy too but how do we deal with the lazy teachers with tenure and change schools into a more exciting place to learn?

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    How are local controls any good? In my town they keep jacking up the property taxes to pay for new schools we don't need. Not only should the federal government be out of education, the local governments should be out of education too.

And would private companies provide education free of cost?

Well somebody should research and collect data. I want less bureaucracy too but how do we deal with the lazy teachers with tenure and change schools into a more exciting place to learn?
    The only real education is self-education. I learned more reading on my own terms, than I ever did through the public education system.
    "For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

[QUOTE=tttppp;4359607]How are local controls any good? In my town they keep jacking up the property taxes to pay for new schools we don't need. Not only should the federal government be out of education, the local governments should be out of education too.[/QUOTE
    Same here, they jack property taxes here for a new multi billion dollar performing arts center while we're going to cut extra curricular activities like 1 year or 2 later what a waste along with the fact that we have 3 empty useless schools that we cannot sell for money. It's the government int he city to provincial to fed level that continues to $#@! this up.

Hey TTTPPP you seem like you live in our city

They don't have to. My parents have been paying over $10,000 a year in property taxes and the vast majority of that goes to pay for our "free" schools. So there is no such thing as free.

But you could make companies tax rates based on how well they treat their community, and make giving affordable education to poor people one of those things. That would motivate the private sector to educate the poor people.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    [QUOTE=tommy949;4359612]
    Quote Originally Posted by tttppp View Post
    How are local controls any good? In my town they keep jacking up the property taxes to pay for new schools we don't need. Not only should the federal government be out of education, the local governments should be out of education too.[/QUOTE
    Same here, they jack property taxes here for a new multi billion dollar performing arts center while we're going to cut extra curricular activities like 1 year or 2 later what a waste along with the fact that we have 3 empty useless schools that we cannot sell for money. It's the government int he city to provincial to fed level that continues to $#@! this up.
    This does seem like my town. Where do you live?

Union City, California you too>?

Union City, California you too>?
    No. I live in Newtown, CT. We have at least one or two old schools that are no longer in use, that the city is doing nothing with. I remember when I was in high school, the baseball team was "pay to play" because they couldn't afford it, even though the just spent money on a multi-million dollar addition.

And now I hear they are building a new high school, about 13 years after they just got a brand new addition, and just a few years after they built a brand new middle school.

Point is, local governments are just as bad as the federal government. I heard there are plenty of conspiracy theories regarding the people running this town, just like the federal government.

Oh that's not bad as our superintendent spending our taxes on her car, she got fired though

I want less bureaucracy too but how do we deal with the lazy teachers with tenure and change schools into a more exciting place to learn?
    Would you as an employer give somebody "tenure"? Ever? I suspect it would be a rare occasion for someone who demands a greater level of intellectual freedom and could be snapped up by a rival employer. Someone who could right their own ticket. It would not be a $#@!ing grade school teacher.

Would you not fire a lazy teacher? Would you continue to use their services? Would that teacher learn that you decided to "go in a different direction"?

I am guessing you have all the right answers to these questions and as a parent or board member or trustee, you could easily implement your vision.

Now try doing the same while fighting DC and possibly the most powerful union in the nation. Neither the union nor DC gives a damn about your local school. Good luck.

Nothing is free, but competition will encourage efficiency as well as competitive pricing. I mean do kids really need 12/13 years to reach an equivalent to a High School education? It would also allow a lot more flexibility in teaching methods and what is actually taught.

There are many routes it could go, it could encourage more private education (not necessarily schools but home school or maybe a tutor sort of deal) another person mentioned online schooling. So there's more than 1 way of educating.

It wouldn't be free but they could certainly provide tax credits to help those that need it (I believe that was an idea from Ron Paul) or credits to those that want to donate their time and money to help educate those in their community.