0 0%
  • Maybe

2 15.38%
  • Lemon Curry

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Moneybomb analysis, how to improve

Moneybomb analysis, how to improve

This money-bomb has come and soon it will be over. I want to thank all people who worked on this project. Now it is time to analyze and learn from mistakes that were made and prepare for next money-bomb. This is not pointing finger at anyone and I hope that posters in this thread will talk about how to improve and not how someone "screwed up". I will not name names for good or bad.

-Lack of organization;
    -Lack of leader/s;
    -too few people are involved;
    -lack of coordination;
    -preparations not done on time;
    -money-bomb website problems;

- Lack of organization.
    I noticed this problem in first few weeks when I joined this movement (I even wrote few threads about it trying to correct this but...). Everything is done "ad hoc". There is no system, no clear plan how to "get there", no clear distribution of responsibilities...

-Lack of leader/s.
    There is no 1 person that will manage resources and people. Someone who will tell: You x person are responsible for Facebook promotion and for contacting every group on facebook. You y person are responsible for Twitter etc. Everyone is on their own. We have situation that people work on same thing and waste 50% of time and resources. Some get "hurt/insulted(little)" because they worked so hard just to find out that their work was already done by someone else.
    Suggestion: Have 1 person who will manage money-bomb project. Someone who will tell people what to do, when to do it and tell them what their responsibility is.

-too few people are involved

This is simple. More people need to work on money-bombs. We didnt have all graphic, avatars, widgets, facebook time-line etc. done until few days before money-bomb.
    Suggestion: Involve more people. I know that there are people who are willing to help. They just need to be called and pointed in right direction (see "Lack of leader"). Give them clear objective and responsibility and not just some vague "promote" pointer.

-lack of coordination
    This money-bomb had 3 names. Most contacted Ron Paul websites didnt respond when they were contacted (multiple times) to help promote money-bomb. I got answer from 1: Thank you for contacting but we are not interested at this time. They earn money from selling Ron Paul products but are not willing to promote money-bomb.
    Suggestion:
    Contact official campaign and ask that manager (leader) of money-bomb project gets official campaign email (example moneybmanager@ronpaulcampaign.com or whatever it is) This will get him some credibility, respect, authority when contacting people. I noticed this difference when I used my personal email and when I used inittowinit2012moneybomb@gmail.com email. This is at least a start. If they still dont help... well... we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

-preparations not done on time

This (like most of errors regarding money-bomb are) is related with lack of people involved, lack of organization and so on. Like I already mentioned all money-bomb promotional material wasnt finished on time (even if people gave their best). Latest were added yesterday. Preparation for next one need to start within a week from end of this one. And I dont mean lets take 2 weeks to figure out the name and then squeeze everything else in 10 days. Get in touch with campaign= agree on name= start working on important things (marketing).

-money-bomb website problems
    Creating and hosting money-bomb website is not cheap. This one got less than 7500 visits(most of whom are us who organize money-bomb). To create new website just for few thousand it is not worth of money and resources. For future we should ask official campaign to host it on their server as part of their official website. We would ask them to post videos, avatars, banners and widgets right there. They would do it if someone asked it. They would also promote it on facebook and twitter if they were only asked. Get in touch with them and stay in touch. This would save us a lot of expenses and time. That resources we could use to promote money-bomb on facebook, twitter, youtube, reddit,meetup, stumbleupon, walls in public toillets, letter to the editor, articles, comments, infojam, everywhere.

We got talented people from every field. We got web designers, graphic artist, software developers, video creators,internet junkies, pessimists, optimists, people who name every activity "action lemon curry I", II, III etc. People who are willing and ready to do what it needs to be done. They need just a little structure and incentive.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I say for the next moneybomb we do an old fashioned MAILING. We are only reaching internet donors. I would be willing to organize for my County, get the registration lists, and put some Paul lit and a donor form and envelope (stamped) from the campaign in it as well as organize the fundraising to pay for it. I just do not know what is/is not allowed as far as FEC rules, etc... If I paid for the mailing would that count as a campaign contribution? If we could get one Paul supporter in every COUNTY to do the same it could be absolutely HUGE.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

I'll go one step further and volunteer to organize the whole damn mailing, if I can get one person from each county to help fundraise/mail in their area. If it's even doable with rules, would people be willing to chip in for the mailing costs? Is this legal? That's a pretty damn good 5000th post if I do say so myself
    Last edited by kathy88; 04-15-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

The main reason this money bomb was a failure (relative to others) is that most people do not think Ron Paul has any chance at winning anymore. They do not want to donate their money for what they feel is a futile effort.

While some things could have been done better, that would have only marginally increased the total.

If we want to do better, either Ron Paul has to do better and communicate that he has a chance, or we have to convince people that it is a good use of their funds despite Ron not having a good shot at victory.

Just let me say this for the record:
    Moving this thread in hot topic is something I dont agree with. How are we going to improve if there is no allowed discussion about it? I didnt spit in anyones face. I didnt flame. I didnt insult anyone.

This was constructive and not inflammatory thread.

I tried to find mistakes that were made and correct them. I tried to lay foundation for next money-bomb. These things need to be done if we want to make next money-bomb success.

I truly and honestly dont understand this. I never bump my own threads so I will let this on die too...

I hope that moderator that moved my thread will take the responsibility on him self and start new thread and make sure that mistakes and flaws that were made in this money-bomb are not repeated on next one.

Dont know what to say.

I wanted to post how money-bomb should be officially few days event (already is); how we should spend money donated for creation of money-bomb site for ads; how we should ask in advance Doug Wead, Jack Hunter, Ron Paul to make video promotion money-bomb and release them in intervals; how we should do this and that but now it all seems pointless....

Can I at least know what sentence or part of this thread was inappropriate? PM if you dont want to write it in public.

If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Set up donation booths at the rallies, or at least hand out moneybomb and donation information?

How many new donors were there this time? That is almost as important as how much money is raised.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

Hey Barrex,

I didn't see your thread until just now, someone sent me a link through PM but I wanted to clarify a few things so you have
    some more information on a couple of points you made that I disagree with. Although I agree with most of what you wrote
    there are a couple of things that are not completely accurate:

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    We didnt have all graphic, avatars, widgets, facebook time-line etc. done until few days before money-bomb.
    Okay the first thing I should mention is that features on a site can continue to be added even after the initial aspects of
    site is completed, we worked on adding as much as we could to the site prior and up to the MB date, a lot of this stuff
    goes above and beyond what was done for any previous MB. For example BTO/TP11 did not have Avatars, had limited widgets/banners,
    did not have a facebook time-line and did not have nearly the amount of graphics created as NOBP or II2WI. You make it seem
    like stating this that we were behind some sort of schedule and that the work agreed upon by parties involved was not complete
    in a timely fashion. You may not mean to say this when you talk about needing more people to be involved to create these
    things which okay I can agree that there should be more people doing things but the truth is there wasn't, although people
    may mention in emails or on posts that they can help out my exp. having worked in grassroots for the last five years is that
    90%+ of people who say they are willing to volunteer on a project never follow through for one reason or another, people are
    not as dependable as some may think.

As far as the timeline this is the breakdown:

3-26: Okie RP fan creates initial planning thread "April Money Bomb: Planning and Promotion Thread", date is chosen 4-15
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...pril+moneybomb

3-26: sailingaway creates poll for theme
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ril-15-2012%29

3-29: the poll is completed and theme is chosen

3-29: DonovanJames creates initial April 15th brainstorming thread

3-30: Dave and I start to work on the site and domains are purchased
    InToWin2012.com
    InItToWinIt2012.com
    InItToWin2012.com

3-30: I setup Facebook event and "like" page and we begin initial steps to invite and spread the message about the FB event while site is
    being worked on

3-31: Site logo proposed
    4-1: site logo and theme finalized
    4-2: planning and promotion thread created and promotion graphics begin to be provided
    4-3: site goes live
    4-3: facebook paid ad and fb status message ad provided so people can continue to promote the facebook event
    4-3: pledge widget banner provided
    4-3: facebook avatars added
    4-3: facebook timeline added
    4-3: flyer added
    4-4: countdown widget banner added (based on request)
    4-4: countdown on front page of site
    4-5: twitter avatars as well as other additional styled avatars added
    4-5: video added
    4-5: static banners (CJPrinter)
    4-5: static banners (Dave)

Essentially at this point the site is completed and we have already done more work than all previous MBs have done on their
    sites. It took us one week from receiving a theme and date that the forums was going to promote and having a functioning
    website that we were using to promote the even as well as providing the social networking tools for those that were interested
    in doing promotion work.

Now initially when asked how long would it take I said it would be a week and a half so this was turned around in a shorter time frame than the estimate, this gave us extra time now to start working on other approaches to promoting the money bomb, considering the start date where we started as on 3-30 and the site was completed on 4-5 even though we had a rolling launch and in fact when live on 4-3 I think this is pretty damn fast. Even if you take in the date 4-5 and the money bomb is 4-15 that gave everyone 10 days to promote the MB, agreed that is a short amount of time to promote an event to reach hundreds of thousands of users, but it's what we had to work with. Of course the more time you have to promote the event the better off you are, but neither Dave or I chose the date or the theme or anything we went with what the community had decided, in fact we didn't even vote on theme in the poll, we didn't care we just wanted to do this work as fast as possible.

Like I already mentioned all money-bomb promotional material wasnt finished on time (even if people gave their best). Latest were added yesterday.

Date/Theme that was decided and given to Dave and I to work on, site core was completed on even prior to 4-05 the MB was 4-15 that gave everyone at least 10 days for promotion if not more as mentioned the site went live on 4-03. If there was a faster way to complete all the work we did and pull this off given the start date, I would be interested in hearing about it.

Creating and hosting money-bomb website is not cheap. This one got less than 7500 visits(most of whom are us who organize money-bomb). To create new website just for few thousand it is not worth of money and resources.
    The website visits isn't accurate, google analytics had a problem with their reporting numbers and you'll notice that number hasn't changed, because I did not want the site to be impacted by the visits counter causing errors on the page, PM if you want the actual visits number and I can look it up, but it was far beyond 7500 I can tell you. If there is a cheaper approach to doing this I would say go for it! For future if you would like to ask the campaign for them to work directly with the grassroots you are more than welcome, but because of various different legal issues I can tell you that suggestion will most likely not work, but who knows I could be wrong. My understanding is that this would have happened already if it was possible, there are legal limits to how much coordination we can have with the campaign, unfortunately.

I'll go into all of this in more detail, but I wanted to get this information to you so that you do not jump to conclusions on some of the items you listed.

Thanks

edit: ...

edit2: I just talked with Dave, it's probably better if you guys start looking for someone else to work on the next MB, not sure we'll be able to work on the next one.
    Last edited by orenbus; 04-16-2012 at 09:46 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Hi
    I couldnt answer you sooner I had some time sensitive work to do....

I am sorry to hear about his father. I hope he gets better.

For example BTO/TP11 did not have Avatars, had limited widgets/banners,did not have a facebook time-line and did not have nearly the amount of graphics created as NOBP or II2WI. You make it seem like stating this that we were behind some sort of schedule and that the work agreed upon by parties involved was not complete in a timely fashion. You may not mean to say this when you talk about needing more people to be involved to create these things which okay I can agree that there should be more people doing things but the truth is there wasn't, although people may mention in emails or on posts that they can help out my exp. having worked in grassroots for the last five years is that 90%+ of people who say they are willing to volunteer on a project never follow through for one reason or another, people are not as dependable as some may think.
    Like OKIE RP fan said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    ...We really need to have it within the next one or two weeks. So, promotion will be short, again,...(emphasis mine)
    There is no disagreement on this. I agree that features on a site can continue to be added even after the initial aspects of site is completed etc...BTO was 21 Oct 2011 and TP11 was on 19 Dec 2011 when people were eager to donate. Now it is different. We need to dig deep and look everywhere to get donors.Regarding "some sort of schedule" thing: No There was no schedule: I never meant to imply that. Simple fact is that there is no way for so few people to do it in less than 2 weeks (time from money-bomb website went on-line and start of money-bomb). I know that you 2 did everything you could in such short time. We must now make sure that you dont get in same situation again! I know how much you guys invested in this and that you 2 lost a lot of money, nerves and time. For those who dont know: Chip-in reached only 892 out of 2.300 dollars (predicted expense of making money-bomb web page). There is no reason for him (or anyone else) to take this feedback very badly and be done with grassroots completely after reading this(If you think because of this:This is not pointing finger at anyone and I hope that posters in this thread will talk about how to improve and not how someone "screwed up". I will not name names for good or bad." I wrote this because I didnt wnated for people to turn on each other and start calling names. I want solutions and not name calling. ). There is nothing more that he could have done to make this MB success. We are facing big obstacles (MSM blackout, fatigue and exhaustion of RP fans and thousand more) but we need to find the way to overcome and neutralize them.
    Regarding website visit number: I would like to know (just curious) if it wouldnt take much of your time to find it out.
    there are limits to how much coordination we can have with the campaign, unfortunately.
    Are you sure? Do you mean co-ordination between official campaign and PAC-s? Or do you mean official campaign and volunteers?
    I know about PAC-s but I never heard that there is "limits to how much coordination" there can be with volunteers. Are you sure?
    I read laws there:
    http://www.fec.gov/
    I could contact campaign but I dont think that I got any seniority over you, Dave, Sailingaway etc. I am not even US citizen.... Better would be someone who is known to campaign and movement (or can be verified). I am not running away from work just saying.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My suggestion for next money-bomb planing thread "To do list":
    Ultra High Priority This should be done by 1 or few people with credibility and name recognition. Someone (or few) who will make sure that every aspect of money-bomb is covered and that everyone knows what their objective is:
    -Contact official campaign.
    -ask for official campaign email (this will greatly increase response from Ron Paul friendly web-sites that are going to be asked to promote money-bomb)
    -get a name for new money-bomb (1 name that all will use)
    -get a date
    -ask them to host money-bomb website as part of official campaign website (gives it official look and credibility. We will avoid people spamming "this is fraud and fake dont donate here")
    ASAP (as soon as possible)
    ---------------------------------
    Rest(still priority):
    -Create money-bomb accounts on:
    -Youtube
    -Facebook
    -Twitter
    -Digg
    -Stumbleupon
    -Redditt
    -Myspace
    -blogs
    -Meetups
    -LinkedIn
    -Squidoo
    -ezinearticles
    -http://botw.org/helpcenter/sponsor.aspx
    -http://technorati.com/
    - PRWeb
    -http://listings.local.yahoo.com/
    -anything else and everywhere else....
    -Set up a free listing for your business in search engine local directories at Google.com/local/; Bing.com/local/; and listings.local.yahoo.com/ Be sure to include your website link and business description.
    -Create: graphic, widgets, banners, avatars, flyers etc.
    -Creating youtube videos.
    -Old fashioned mailing (kathy88-s idea)
    -Donation booths at rallies
    -Spread flyers during rallies
    -Spread flyers during sign-wawing.
    -Writing and sending "Letter to the editor"
    -Get emails of all Tea Party groups, ex santorum sites, conservative sites etc and email them few articles about moneybomb....
    -????

We should focus on teaparty websites, conservative websites etc....
    I googled Rick Santorum fan websites and friendly ones (except official there is nothing there...)

-Since next one could be hosted on official web site we could use that combination of colors (not that relevant)

*volunteers needed to take responsibility for 1 part of this (1 for redditt, 1 for Myspace etc.) someone who will coordinate and get people involved in area that they area responsible for.

P.s.
    mport1: This money-bomb is not failiure. It is doing better than last one (last one was barely promoted)
    Last edited by Barrex; 04-17-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: In case that GODZILLA attackes again I need to warn people

Great Points Barrex:

Hopefully you can make the meeting tuesday night. We need to work a lot of what you said but I think we need to work mini money bombs with In It To Win It through the rallies he is having. We need to work something that after the rallie, they donate.

We could be pulling at least $250000 at each rally. If he did 5 per week with the number he is getting, he could pull close to 1.5 million per week.

Lets hope he pulls an upset next tuesday. That would really rally the troops. Pennsilvania would be a great win over romney. I think he can pull it off

We need to get the campaign to set up recurring payments. There are a lot of people asking for this
    Last edited by fred584; 04-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.
    RP Rocks

That is good idea. I tried to organize promotion of this money-bomb during his rallies but I dont know how that ended... there was little time to organize it.

I already have started a list of things to do but first we need to get this done....and done it fast. Within next few days would be optimal.

Edit:
    Crap... 8:00 in the morning and I am going to sleep....Work is done, posted stuff on RPF..... spilled juice over keyboard, started posting in wrong threads...sleep deprivation....good night good fight....
    Last edited by Barrex; 04-16-2012 at 11:01 PM.

First, applause to orenbus and the very few others who worked on this MB.

Second, it's this simple:

We find a date for the next one (more than likely the LAST money bomb), go with it, and come to a conclusion on the theme a.s.a.p. That was the intended goal of this current MB considering the slate of primaries on the 24th.

Not saying this to you Barrex, but way too many people complained about this money bomb who did little or nothing to help plan and promote. This MB drew in over $1 million in two days, that's more than "Give me Liberty" did, if I am not mistaken. So, it's not as if this MB was failure, because it wasn't.

Too many people on this site want to point fingers. The simple reason why we have lost momentum is due to the fact that we haven't won a single straw poll, thus eroding our soft support, second, people have lost faith in the campaign staff, and third, people are broke and here on RPF, we aren't that big of a community on the grand scale.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by fred584 View Post
    Great Points Barrex:

Hopefully you can make the meeting tuesday night. We need to work a lot of what you said but I think we need to work mini money bombs with In It To Win It through the rallies he is having. We need to work something that after the rallie, they donate.

We could be pulling at least $250000 at each rally. If he did 5 per week with the number he is getting, he could pull close to 1.5 million per week.

Lets hope he pulls an upset next tuesday. That would really rally the troops. Pennsilvania would be a great win over romney. I think he can pull it off

We need to get the campaign to set up recurring payments. There are a lot of people asking for this
    Last edited by Gradient; 04-16-2012 at 11:40 PM.

About the collection of cash at a rally:

When Dr. Paul came to Springfield, MO and did a stump speech, myself and our other grassroots leaders were very much involved (By that I mean we had to do damn near everything besides carry him to the stage) in setting up all aspects of the event. Swag tables, sign in booths, registering voter booths, logistics, traffic coordination, A/V setup, advertisement and promotion. We spent a lot of money out of pocket in doing so and asked if we could set up a donation bucket at the door.

We were told, and I am not sure if this applies here, that there were too many hoops to jump through in order to set up anything that has to do with a 3rd party, other than campaign, collecting money at an event where a campaign is at.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Not saying this to you Barrex, but way too many people complained about this money bomb who did little or nothing to help plan and promote. This MB drew in over $1 million in two days, that's more than "Give me Liberty" did, if I am not mistaken. So, it's not as if this MB was failure, because it wasn't.
    I agree.... Getting help was not easy and this money-bomb did better than "Give me Liberty". We are fighting against great problems...
    Next money-bomb will probably be last one. Now we must mobilize and act quickly and make sure everyone is contacted and everyone is on board (I and most of us had great problems with this). We can not allow that all work is done by few people.

Quote Originally Posted by DonovanJames View Post
    About the collection of cash at a rally:

When Dr. Paul came to Springfield, MO and did a stump speech, myself and our other grassroots leaders were very much involved (By that I mean we had to do damn near everything besides carry him to the stage) in setting up all aspects of the event. Swag tables, sign in booths, registering voter booths, logistics, traffic coordination, A/V setup, advertisement and promotion. We spent a lot of money out of pocket in doing so and asked if we could set up a donation bucket at the door.

We were told, and I am not sure if this applies here, that there were too many hoops to jump through in order to set up anything that has to do with a 3rd party, other than campaign, collecting money at an event where a campaign is at.
    If we get official campaign to put money-bomb as part of their website our costs would drop to zero (or close to it). So at those rallies speakers before Ron could ask people to donate to Rons official campaign.

Anyway tonight is a meeting and we will get all details and plan how to proceed.

EDDM: https://eddm.usps.com/eddm/

Postage is 14.5 cents, you can print the item yourself most likely. Only stipulation is that you must fill the entire carrier route. Great for any kind of marketing/advertising.
    How have you helped spread the message of Liberty, Peace, & Prosperity today?
    "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth." -George Washington

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Are you sure? Do you mean co-ordination between official campaign and PAC-s? Or do you mean official campaign and volunteers?
    I know about PAC-s but I never heard that there is "limits to how much coordination" there can be with volunteers. Are you sure?
    I read laws there:
    Yea in 2007 the official campaign sent a representative to train us on campaigning, canvassing, delegates, etc. She traveled across the United States and one of the things that was touched on (and I don't think I'm breaking NDA here) is that there is a difference between being an official volunteer and doing a grassroots activity. Legally the FEC in many cases consider them both the same even if someone is acting without the knowledge of the campaign as laws specifically applied to the individual. But what I'm talking about is how the campaign perceives this line between "volunteer" and "grassroots". Grassroots basically means you can do whatever you want, because in the end the official campaign has no knowledge and to a certain extent they are protected, they have no idea who you are and they never took on the responsibility to give you any direction, you are basically acting alone and unsanctioned. Now this gets into public perception as well as legal which in a case such as a presidential election perception is everything so of course they are going to be overall cautious in terms of who they bring in to their camp as both employees and volunteers.

One example is Ron Paul Revolution signs, in 2007 this was a big issue for some people in the official campaign because well for one a lot of times putting up signs in places was considered illegal, but also there was a perception issue that some were concerned about in the public. It was risky, the grassroots were willing and were able to take those risks when no official campaign regardless of who it was would never in a million years ever taken that risk. Being strictly grassroots allows you to take risks and make decisions on your own. Being a volunteer you fall now into a top down structure where every decision falls into a level of skepticism and red tape that we do not find at the grassroots level. At the grassroots if you have an idea you run with it if you think its good and others think its good as well. In the campaign everything moves much much slower and considering Ron Paul hasn't had the greatest track record trusting certain employees to act in a professional and mature manner (lets say) in the past this becomes even more an issue.

Anyway I think that is basically it in a nutshell, yes there is legal boundaries between the difference of a volunteer and grassroots, but there are much more important issues that the campaign considers when covering some of the topics your discussing. Again I may be wrong, but this is the perception.
    Last edited by orenbus; 04-18-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Yea. We discussed it last night... We missed you Few interesting stuff...we ill get update soon.

For those who are interested in this stuff:
    http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/volact.shtml#office
    http://www.fec.gov/law/feca/feca.pdf