Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart to keep $25,000 in a checking account?

Wouldn't it be best to shun the banking system altogether?
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Old School

Buy a 100$ vacuum sealer from Walmart. They come with bags, well at least enough to seal 25k with. Vacuum seal your money and $#@!ing bury it. Seriously, go to the bank and tell them you want your 25k in cash...and watch them delay you....or grab a shovel and get it as fast as your physical ability will allow.
    "There's no problem with living a double life, it is the triple and quadruple lives that get you in the end. " -Yuri Orlov

"You wanna be a dead hero, or a live coward?" -John Dillinger

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Buy a 100$ vacuum sealer from Walmart. They come with bags, well at least enough to seal 25k with. Vacuum seal your money and $#@!ing bury it. Seriously, go to the bank and tell them you want your 25k in cash...and watch them delay you....or grab a shovel and get it as fast as your physical ability will allow.
    Vacuum seal it and bury it? So you think it will be worth the same or more in the distant future?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    I've experimented some with stashing things around. First you've got to remember where you buried it. Then nature would have had to of missed it. Critters have a way of gnawing things up and carrying things off. You may want to experiment yourself with something your not to keen on anymore.

Maybe take a photo of the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by emazur View Post
    If they needed to have a lot of cash then they could use multiple banks and put $250k in each one
    Merril Lynch used to have a system which would automatically dispense funds to multi banks and accounts so you were always insured but was always reachable under a single ML account. I assume there are other financial services that do this.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Careful guys... The government has what are called "Suspicious Activity Reports" and "Currency Transaction Reports"

So say you want to pull your cash out because you're opposed to fractional banking...the government may see this as a sign that your trying to avoid taxes or make off-radar illicit transactions.

Very big-brotherish...and it could result in an audit.

Anybody know more about these and what the thresholds are for getting flagged?

Quote Originally Posted by rpwi View Post
    Careful guys... The government has what are called "Suspicious Activity Reports" and "Currency Transaction Reports"

So say you want to pull your cash out because you're opposed to fractional banking...the government may see this as a sign that your trying to avoid taxes or make off-radar illicit transactions.

I know all to well about these. You will never know if your account has flagged for SAR. NEVER ask them that will be an automatic flag. But it goes beyond the SARs and the like. The Patriot Act has a "know your customer" clause. What is that? That is where the government forces the bank spy on every single one of your transactions. What can get your account flagged? Well in my case it was me paying my bills on time.

I got a letter from my bank saying if I did not contact them within 24 hours that my accounts would be frozen. They wanted to know why I was paying my bills on time on the same date every month. (I send international wires to pay for advertising). Then they wanted to know about tiny transactions of $100 here and there. Basically I had to give away trade secrets in order to not have my accounts frozen and handed over to the government.

Edit: I also believe that Rand Paul said that 100s of thousands of SAR's get reported every year. So my guess is the littlest of things can set them off.
    Last edited by ItsTime; 04-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.

LibForestPaul

From what I know, $2500, plus having more than $10k on hand requires "license"...

$500 per day w/d * 300 days = boat load of money...no?

Hey, I've got an idea.

If you have this much in a checking account and haven't done so then max out your donation to Ron Paul today.

I only donated $25, and that leaves me with about the same amount left in my checking account.

The only other wealth I could tap to donate doesn't really belong to me, but if it did I'd be maxing out today myself.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

What about off shore bank accounts?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    What about off shore bank accounts?
    Think that is even more apt to trigger a SAR than a cash withdrawal.

Think that is even more apt to trigger a SAR than a cash withdrawal.
    all news media reporting Romney has many millions there ... if it is good enough for the bankster owned Obama and Romney, why can't the real Americans do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I've experimented some with stashing things around. First you've got to remember where you buried it. Then nature would have had to of missed it. Critters have a way of gnawing things up and carrying things off. You may want to experiment yourself with something your not to keen on anymore.

Maybe take a photo of the spot.
    btw, for those taking the "bury it" route, I suggest putting the cash in a cast iron safe of some sort first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    btw, for those taking the "bury it" route, I suggest putting the cash in a cast iron safe of some sort first.
    Seems to me that you'd have a pile of rust within a few years if you buried cast iron.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.

Damn ya'll all this talk of burying money in the back yard sure gets the country boy in me excited!

Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

Haven't read much of the thread, but wouldn't it make more sense to take the $25k, convert it into gold, and then bury it if you were to go that route? Paper dollars would continue to lose value and not hold up well if there was a breakdown of whatever vessel you chose to bury them in.

I am picturing the scene in National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation where Eddie (Randy Quaid) and Chevy Chase are digging all over the yard to try to find coffee cans of money Eddie burried because he didn't trust banks.

Arklatex

With 25K, I'd take a loan for 24,000 minus 6K down for 20% payment on farmland next to river

Buy some Gold, Goats(cheap), Chickens($2 each), Canoe, Fruit Trees, Pecans, Greenhouse,

That's what I'd do with 25K. Your primary investment is in excellent land with Riparian Water Rights.

that leaves you with 19k and 5 acres of land

That's a potential road to a made man.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    With 25K, I'd take a loan for 24,000 minus 6K down for 20% payment on farmland next to river

Buy some Gold, Goats(cheap), Chickens($2 each), Canoe, Fruit Trees, Pecans, Greenhouse,

That's what I'd do with 25K. Your primary investment is in excellent land with Riparian Water Rights.

that leaves you with 19k and 5 acres of land

That's a potential road to a made man.
    What concerns me is that property rights are under attack in America. People are being foreclosed on by the banksters illegally, in the largest land grab ever; then sold to foreign investors.

I think I would take the money and buy land in Nicaragua instead. This is becoming a popular destination for ex pats, which is driving up the cost of property. But still far cheaper than the U.S. imo .

If Romney or Obama win, here is where I suggest we go ... The Liberty Island

http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listings/details/1/3/91

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    The money you deposit in a bank is no longer yours. Look up the agreement that accompanies the signature card.
    Do you have a link for one of these online? I can't find anyting on it.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Didn't the FOMC state they intend to depreciate the dollar by 33% by 2020? My numbers might be off, but the fact is if you don't want to lose a big portion of that due to inflation then you're better off spending those dollars on alcohol, guns, ammo, and/or gold that can be resold at a later date.
    "Time is catching up with me." -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Do you have a link for one of these online? I can't find anyting on it.
    I know it from a court case I witnessed were a guy had money taken from his bank account without a court order. The bank's attorney used the signature card agreement to show that the bank had the right to hand over "his" deposits to a third party.
    Last edited by Danke; 04-17-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I know it from a court case I witnessed were a guy had money taken from his bank account without a court order. The bank's attorney used the signature care agreement to show that the bank had the right to hand over "his" deposits to a third party.
    Well...I will definately try to find mine and read this. I don't keep anything in any large corporate banks like Chase or BOA....but still need to verify my credit union agreement.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I would rather stuff it in a mattress than leave it in the bank. Fractional reserve banking is corrupt and allows the bank to loan hundreds of thousands out from your original 25k. Buy silver or gold and hide it or put in a safe.

Not safe at all. You better just send it to me. I will take care of it.

Arklatex

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    What concerns me is that property rights are under attack in America. People are being foreclosed on by the banksters illegally, in the largest land grab ever; then sold to foreign investors.

I think I would take the money and buy land in Nicaragua instead. This is becoming a popular destination for ex pats, which is driving up the cost of property. But still far cheaper than the U.S. imo .

If Romney or Obama win, here is where I suggest we go ... The Liberty Island

http://www.nicaraguarealty.com/listings/details/1/3/91
    Central America - been their 5 times. Not to Nicaragua but I was surprised when I asked a pineapple scientist which country he'd relocate to in Central America if given the chance, I was expecting Costa Rica or Panama but was surprised when he answered Nicaragua.

I'd love to have farmland in the tropics, I could replace those Pecan trees with Mango and Coconut Palms, and have wild banana, plantain and papaya not taking into consideration a plethora of spectacular plants that thrive in the tropics, many wild such as Noni, Almond, and more we've never heard of here in the States.

The problem would be practicality, local rift raft mafia and crime. Much poverty who see opportunity in a foreigner. The United States is still the premier country in the world to live, especially when compared to Central America at this time. Down there say the local sheriff doesn't like you, someone pays him off a little more than you, say someone he's know his whole life and his granddaddy was his granddaddy's barber - well you're screwed. It's pretty much like the wild west. Living in a 3rd world country is very different than the USA. I've spent months down there, love the nature, scared by the social situations. Driving down there is like a bunch of animals, there is no courtesy. An American will often be horrified to see how people drive down there, there is no order, just a bunch of wild maniacs who drive like a bunch of crazed animals. No one will let you in, you have to inch in and force yourself into the flow - it's madness. That's an microcosm of the entire society there. Once that changes, the countries are safe, I'd be there right now.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Money markets and short term Treasuries offer very low rates of return. One year Treasuries are only yielding 0.18% and according to BankRate, Money Market funds are about one half of a percent so you won't gain much by moving money into them. There are better returning safe investments available such as dividend paying stocks. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/mmmf_home.asp I note that Harry Brown's advice came in 2003 when you could get 1.2% on short term Treasuries (seven times more than today) http://www.infoplease.com/business/m...ates-2006.html Money markets were only slightly better at 0.64%. Browne advocated an allocation of 25% gold, 25% stocks, 25% bonds, and 25% cash.
    Yes, because of course Mr. Browne was recommending short-term Treasuries for their high yield.

Treasuries are for your cash. Cash is a pretty useful thing to have. It has some pretty valuable characteristics. High yield is not one of them, but other characteristics are. For instance, it can buy stuff. For another instance, it's very stable.

But heaven forbid that anyone ever own anything with a low rate of return, as defined by Zippy!

Two year old thread bump?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Two year old thread bump?
    Also heaven forbid anyone might write something in a thread that has exceeded Zippy's maximum attention span!

Quote Originally Posted by BFranklin View Post
    We all know the story with banks...do you think its smart/safe to keep $25,000 in one checking account?
    Negative .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast