Thread: Understanding central banking

Understanding central banking

My interest in the fed and central banking has been growing and growing. And I don't like to form opinions on topics I do not completely understand.
    So if anybody could recommend me good books or long pdf's that explain the theory of central banking and the modern practice of central banking. (not interested in conspiracy or biased writings). I realy realy want to understand this subject in it's complete detail.

Thank you very much for your time and effort

Fortunecookie

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What Has Government Done to Our Money? - Murray Rothbard (PDF link).

There's plenty of other stuff on the topic at mises.org. Look around there and you'll find more than enough to satisfy your appetite.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Not sure where you're at. An introductory macroeconomic principles text would be OK. Then an "intermediate" macro text (undergraduate, upper division class). Just get something used for a couple of bucks on amazon. It might be drudgery but it might be worth the effort. Then maybe a "money and banking" economics text. Every economics department has at least one upper division course in "money and banking."

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post

There's plenty of other stuff on the topic at mises.org. Look around there and you'll find more than enough to satisfy your appetite.
    That title sounds kind of biased and I'm realy more looking for an objective explanation on central banking before I read the opinionated ones.

Not sure where you're at.
    Just looking for a basic but detailed explanation of central banking.

Quote Originally Posted by FortuneCookie View Post
    That title sounds kind of biased and I'm realy more looking for an objective explanation on central banking before I read the opinionated ones.

Just looking for a basic but detailed explanation of central banking.
    Well, given that the thing is entirely free, you could at least try reading it to see what you think rather than judging it merely by its title. But *shrug* it's your call.

If your looking for an "objective" treatment of the subject, well ... good luck with that.

The topic is a highly politicized one and I doubt there are any lengthy disquisitions upon the matter that will meet your standard. Even dry, technical treatises will operate under subjective decisions regarding what to include, what to omit, what to emphasize, what to pass over briefly, etc.

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."

Well, given that the thing is entirely free, you could at least try reading it to see what you think rather than judging it merely by its title. But *shrug* it's your call.

If your looking for an "objective" treatment of the subject, well ... good luck with that.

The topic is a highly politicized one and I doubt there are any lengthy disquisitions upon the matter that will meet your standard. Even dry, technical treatises will operate under subjective decisions regarding what to include, what to omit, what to emphasize, what to pass over briefly, etc.
    Allright I'll download it but I already have a Murray Rothbard pdf called 'Case against the fed'. Which critizes the fed for the rather obvious reasons (legal counterfeit, inflation, central planning with interest rate, the accompanied government growth, fractional reserve banking, the booms and bust because of artificial leverage and the Jekyll Island conspiracy regarding the profit booking for the insiders of the federal reserve system). I doubt there will be much different in ''What has the government done to our money''. But I still feel like I haven't got to the bottom of it and want to understand it completely.

Central Banking in theory is independant and not politicized and I'd like to learn more about the economic theories of central banking. So maybe you're right about that there always will be some subjectivity in writings but the more limited and the more dry the text is the better.

Thanks

Fortunecookie

Central Banking in theory is independant and not politicized and I'd like to learn more about the economic theories of central banking. So maybe you're right about that there always will be some subjectivity in writings but the more limited and the more dry the text is the better.
    You put your finger directly on the problem. Central banks don't exist "in theory" - they only exist in the "real world", and as such they'll never be "independent" or non-political in nature, no matter what any theory about them says. So anyone arguing for or against central banking (even if only on theoretical grounds) is either going to be "opinionated" or living in a fantasy never-never land.

Any "objective" treatment of central banking would have to be purely descriptive in nature, rather than prescriptive. That is, it would have to restrict itself solely to what central banks *actually* do (in the form of a non-normative technical description). It would also have to avoid or gloss over what central banks *ought* to do (in the form of theorizing).

Good luck in finding something, though. If you do find anything that fits your bill, please post about here. I'd like to check it out.

-- The Law (p. 54)
      -- Government (p. 99)

This is the best book by far.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Any title reccomendations would be welcomed

Any title reccomendations would be welcomed
    Here is Jesus Huerta de Soto's "Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles"

http://library.mises.org/books/Jesus...c%20Cycles.pdf

I'll also present you with a list of books that might interest you.

http://mises.org/Literature/search/?q=central%20banking
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day...

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamShrugged View Post

http://library.mises.org/books/Jesus...c%20Cycles.pdf

http://mises.org/Literature/search/?q=central%20banking
    Ah thanks That list contains some good reads on the feds history! But not too much on the theory of central banking (Money Bank and Economic Cycles is an critical analyze of central banking). I'll start reading Credit Policies of the Federal Reserve System but any more reccomendations that focusses purely on central banking theory and practice would be great.

Edit: A very good read I got out of that list is Credit Policies of the Federal Reserve System. I recommend it!
    Last edited by FortuneCookie; 09-25-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamShrugged View Post

http://library.mises.org/books/Jesus...mic Cycles.pdf

http://mises.org/Literature/search/?q=central banking
    This list pretty much covers everything. ^^ Nice job!
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The Case Against the Fed by Murry N. Rothbard http://mises.org/books/fed.pdf
    A History of Money and Banking in the United States The Colonial Era to World War 2 by Murry N. Rothbard http://mises.org/books/historyofmoney.pdf

Thanks all!
    Last edited by FortuneCookie; 09-28-2012 at 03:47 AM.