Thread: Any Psychology majors here?

Any Psychology majors here?

I've decided to change my major from Poli Sci to Psychology. The human mind fascinates me so much, and I feel I will be more intellectually stimulated by Psychology than Poli Sci.

Any psych courses that you loved that you would recommend? I would love to hear any general tips and experiences.

I tested out of Intro Psych through my AP test, and am currently in a Psychopathology course right now which I absolutely love. Thinking about taking biopsychology or cognitive psych next semester.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcgame View Post
    I took Intro Psych and Abnormal Psychology. I didn't enjoy abnormal psych much, I felt that a lot of it was pseudo science...telling people to take drugs. They had very little mention of psychotherapy or naturopathy for the severe disorders, only drugs was recommended. I enjoyed Introductory Psychology. It was very interesting.
    Interesting. CBT was the main approach my professors talked about (three professors taught the class). One thing I particularly appreciated was that they brought in actual patients of theirs to discuss their experiences with mental illness, what treatments worked, and how they were able to get through it all. Made the course feel more real world than just a classroom setting. I bet it was nervewracking for them to stand in front of 600 students in a giant lecture hall and answer questions about their personal sensitive issues.

Reproductive and Child Psychology (sex psychology / psychology and the fetus ➜ childhood)
    Parapsychology (psychology of the paranormal)
    Personality Psychology
    Psychology of Mental Disorders

I minored in psychology, simply because I feel the state of someone's mind directly affects the state of their body (I was a biology/pre-med student). I really loved it.

I would also recommend numerous sociology classes like The Family, Drug Addiction, etc etc, as well as Anthropology courses (Cultural anthropology especially).
    Last edited by Nirvikalpa; 04-11-2012 at 11:22 PM.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    I've decided to change my major from Poli Sci to Psychology. The human mind fascinates me so much, and I feel I will be more intellectually stimulated by Psychology than Poli Sci.

Any psych courses that you loved that you would recommend? I would love to hear any general tips and experiences.

I tested out of Intro Psych through my AP test, and am currently in a Psychopathology course right now which I absolutely love. Thinking about taking biopsychology or cognitive psych next semester.
    I have friends with Psych degrees. Be aware that you need a Ph.D to make a decent living in the field.

Need a Ph. D in just about every field to be able to earn a livable wage any more. Including Flipping Burgers at a McJob that requires a 4 year collage edjucashun.

(misspelled on porpise)
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

I have a BA in Psych. I probably got the most out of social psych and social learning theory. But my advice now would be to get some training in mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) and/or mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) AND neuro-psych with an emphasis on new technology for measuring brain activity (like FMRI).

Mindfulness is super hot in psychology nowadays.

But I am biased as a meditator and a member of the Board of this University group:

http://www.amrig.org/

From that site you can go to their youtube channel and view video of many very interesting presentations by psychologists studying meditation.

Another hot bed of academic study of the psychology of meditation is at Brown University:

http://www.brown.edu/Faculty/Contemp...resources.html

As a last word let me say that if the human mind fascinates you, make sure to make contemplation of the functioning of your OWN mind part of yout training. You won't regret it.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I have a BA in Psych. I probably got the most out of social psych and social learning theory. But my advice now would be to get some training in mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) and/or mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) AND neuro-psych with an emphasis on new technology for measuring brain activity (like FMRI).

Mindfulness is super hot in psychology nowadays.

But I am biased as a meditator and a member of the Board of this University group:

http://www.amrig.org/

From that site you can go to their youtube channel and view video of many very interesting presentations by psychologists studying meditation.

Another hot bed of academic study of the psychology of meditation is at Brown University:

http://www.brown.edu/Faculty/Contemp...resources.html

As a last word let me say that if the human mind fascinates you, make sure to make contemplation of the functioning of your OWN mind part of yout training. You won't regret it.
    Cool stuff, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Need a Ph. D in just about every field to be able to earn a livable wage any more. Including Flipping Burgers at a McJob that requires a 4 year collage edjucashun.

(misspelled on porpise)
    Learn a trade and a skill.

Got a buddy of mine that made over $150,000 last year as a lineman, stringing new and repairing damaged, power lines.

Got another buddy of mine that makes six figures as a plumber.

I make a six figure income and I'm a high school dropout.

The education racket is one of the biggest scams out there.

Learn a trade that is in demand, something that can't be easily outsourced.

It won't be pretty, it won't be glamorous, and you probably won't work in a climate controlled office, but you'll make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Got a buddy of mine that made over $150,000 last year as a lineman, stringing new and repairing damaged, power lines.

It won't be pretty, it won't be glamorous, and you probably won't work in a climate controlled office, but you'll make a living.
    Truth +rep

College is so overrated it is ridiculous

Did you guys ever wonder why the public school system indoctrinates you with the idea, since Kindergarten, that you need to go to college in order to be successful? Almost no one makes it through college without going into debt (student loans). By the time you have those paid off you are starting payments on your new car. Once you have that about paid off you are starting payments on your new house. They pull you into debt as soon as they can so you can be a slave to a 9-5 job; debt = slavery
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Not a one size fits all. People have different skills. Some people, such as myself, are terrible with their hands and manual labor. All the respect to guys that can do that sort of work, but that's not my strength so it would make no sense to pursue it. My strength is in academia.

I think it's bad advice to tell everyone to drop out and learn plumbing or carpentry. Pursue your strengths, pursue what you love.

On a side note relating to the thread, I realized my school offers a major called Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Science. I think that's a perfect fit for me, more hard science based.
    Last edited by Son of Detroit; 04-13-2012 at 08:42 PM.

or how about major in engineering?
    Chemical or petroleum engineering is hot stuff right now.

Not a one size fits all. People have different skills. Some people, such as myself, are terrible with their hands and manual labor. All the respect to guys that can do that sort of work, but that's not my strength so it would make no sense to pursue it. My strength is in academia.

I think it's bad advice to tell everyone to drop out and learn plumbing or carpentry. Pursue your strengths, pursue what you love.
    I never told anybody to drop out. I said I did, and so far, thirty plus years into it, it's worked out OK.

By all means, pursue what you love and try to do that.

But keep in mind that I was specifically responding to the post from DamienTV that stated how hard it was for some PhDs to find work and compensation for their efforts.

I'm very, very lucky, I get to do what I enjoy, for the most part, and get paid for it.

Many people do not.

We all wish we could get paid for posting here, but that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Do not expect get paid well, or at all, if you train yourself with a skillset that is:

A - In great abundance and that,

B - The market does not want or need.

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

On a side note relating to the thread, I realized my school offers a major called Brain, Behavior, and Cognitive Science. I think that's a perfect fit for me, more hard science based.
    I think the point is that college is a waste of time and especially money, no matter what your strengths are. Most of the brilliant minds in our history did not receive any formal education (if you want to call it that ).
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

I'm about to change my major from IT to computer/electrical engineering.
    I think that might be a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingwes_8 View Post
    I think the point is that college is a waste of time and especially money, no matter what your strengths are. Most of the brilliant minds in our history did not receive any formal education (if you want to call it that ).
    Unfortunately, for most industry, college is just a barrier to entry. Professions just make ridiculous educational requirements designed to limit the number of people in the profession, and keep costs high.

There is definitely some value to college, but there is so much waste associated with it. There is no reason we cannot graduate from college with multiple majors by the time we are 18, and would not have to go for additional education after that.

Quote Originally Posted by tttppp View Post
    Unfortunately, for most industry, college is just a barrier to entry. Professions just make ridiculous educational requirements designed to limit the number of people in the profession, and keep costs high.

There is definitely some value to college, but there is so much waste associated with it. There is no reason we cannot graduate from college with multiple majors by the time we are 18, and would not have to go for additional education after that.
    True but I believe that a deeper issue exists here

Why would we want to be involved with these industries that require such outlandish requirements. The most notable ones that come to mind: healthcare, teaching, sciences (physics, biology, etc.), and the list goes on and on. Everything that is taught on these subject matters, and others as well, is nothing but lies built upon lies. We, as a society, have created our own hell; until we demand REAL change in the way knowledge is conveyed from one generation to the next, we will continue to see the degradation of our world.

It is not the idea of higher education which is the problem as much as it is the way they are being run. Academies and Universities are the centers of historic advancements in almost every imaginable field. Sadly, they have become much more government dependent and profit driven in the way they operate and why they remain open.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingwes_8 View Post
    True but I believe that a deeper issue exists here

Why would we want to be involved with these industries that require such outlandish requirements. The most notable ones that come to mind: healthcare, teaching, sciences (physics, biology, etc.), and the list goes on and on. Everything that is taught on these subject matters, and others as well, is nothing but lies built upon lies. We, as a society, have created our own hell; until we demand REAL change in the way knowledge is conveyed from one generation to the next, we will continue to see the degradation of our world.
    I believe we should get the government out of education and allow the private sector to be responsible for all education. Colleges and grade school. By putting things online, companies can dramatically reduce costs. Additionally, only teaching what is needed will also reduce costs. Competition will increase value and reduce costs. Also, competition will force companies to teach the truth, not a bunch of lies.

I'm not sure who creates the requirements for these professions, but they need to be eliminated as well. These provide no value to anyone.
    Last edited by tttppp; 04-14-2012 at 01:20 AM.

yes I'm going to learn a tradeskill that can easily be completed by robots in the next 50 years. /sarcasm how exactly does a robot give therapy to a human? and how exactly does an outsourced india person give therapy? Bottom line, if you are good at what you do you will find a job.

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 01:56 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Psychology is a very deep and wide field. However, at its core it is a science. If you are to "master" the field, you must be able to read the scholarly journals. Abnormal psych. is interesting etc...but you'll need to understand statistics, advanced statistics, and research methodologies etc...my suggestion is to take those three courses even if you are not good with math etc...also psychological assessment is an important course...you'll learn about the bulk of what a psychologist or para-professional does in that one. Lastly, make sure you take History of Psychology. It is very important for context, where the field started off and where it is headed etc...

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post

(misspelled on porpise)
    Not if you major in something useful like engineering, computer science, medical science, finance, or accounting.

Don't waste your time with a philosophy or poli sci degree.

pcgame

Last edited by pcgame; 05-21-2012 at 01:56 PM.

I took a Human Growth and Development class that was pretty interesting.

How about any psychedelic majors here?

I started college as a business major but towards the end of the program with just a year left I switched to Psychology. I had taken a few psych courses as electives and found them much more interesting than most business classes.

My favorite courses were biopsych and comparative animal behavior. I liked the fact that they were more rooted in science than many of the other courses.

As a four year degree, a degree in psych probably won't get you far on the job front. Most states require a license to practice which means you will need at least a Masters Degree, you can do a MSW (Masters of Social Work) or MFT (Marriage and Family Therapy). If you enjoying doing research, there are Masters programs for that as well. Be sure and check out what the state requirements are for where you plan on living to see what majors they will accept to be licensed. I believe the MSW is pretty widely accepted but the MFT is less so last time I checked. If you do plan on getting a PhD be sure and do a program that meets the requirements to get licensed to practice.

Best of luck with you new major!
    Last edited by Bodhi; 04-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.