Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evangelicals turn to Ron Paul (Doug Wead)

Evangelicals turn to Ron Paul (Doug Wead)

Evangelicals turn to Ron Paul

In the wake of Senator Rick Santorum’s departure from the presidential race there are signs that some evangelical leaders are refusing to jump on board the Mitt Romney bandwagon and are turning to Congressman Ron Paul instead. The Texas congressman spoke to several thousand people last night at the Will Rogers Auditorium in downtown Fort Worth but met quietly afterward with evangelical leaders.

Why Ron Paul? And why now, when the race is being declared “done” by the main stream media?

“Because you don’t give away your support without getting something in return,” says a former congressman who has been at the heart of the Christian right movement since its beginning. The longer that Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich stay in the race, the more likely that Romney will be forced to take a evangelical conservative as his vice presidential nominee.

Why not turn to Speaker Newt Gingrich, a Catholic who is a former Southern Baptist, with views that resonate with evangelicals?

“If we had to do it over again, we should have gone with Gingrich,” one of Santorum’s supporters told me today. But if we switch to Gingrich now we risk another drop out.” The former Speaker reportedly has debts of $ 4.2 million and has asked the Romney campaign for help in retiring them. Romney reportedly declined.

Meanwhile, the Ron Paul campaign, with cash on hand, has begun airing television ads in Texas and launches another moneybomb this weekend.

“I have one question for you,” one of the ministers reportedly said in the private meeting last night with Dr. Ron Paul, “Are you going to drop out? Or will you stay in all the way to Tampa?”

“I’m in,” the Texan replied.

“That’s all I need to know,” the minister said.

The evangelical community began reaching out to Dr. Paul almost immediately after Senator Rick Santorum dropped out of the presidential race. Yesterday, Pastor Steven Andrew of USA Christian Ministries announced his support of the congressman, calling for a day of prayer and fasting. Andrew released a statement saying that, “After Santorum, Ron Paul is the most God-fearing Presidential candidate [and] the Republican party should endorse him.” Andrew said that “If Republicans don’t give a Christian candidate, Christians should look elsewhere – even to a third party.”

The Christian Wire service ran an article yesterday saying that Christians like the fact that Ron Paul “opposes tyranny, would cut the deficit and is prolife.”

A prominent television evangelist , speaking on the promise of anonymity, says that there was great disappointment in Rick Santorum’s withdrawal from the race. “No one faults a man for being a good father, and dropping out to take care of a child, but it hurts many of us very deeply. We were counting on him to lead our cause.”

Foster Freiss, the Wyoming billionaire who financed the Santorum Super Pac, has publicly said he will now help Mitt Romney.

Meanwhile, evangelical leaders are skeptical of any of their brethren who are now pledging to Romney. “They are trotting out the same old bought and paid for names, Richard Land and Jay Sekulow, and acting like they are new.” A Gingrich supporter who is quite vocal about his disappointment with the Santorum campaign suspects that evangelical leaders who supported Santorum, did so in return for donations to their nonprofit organizations. “They will now try to repeat the same thing with Romney and are already in the news laying the foundation for their appeal. It is appalling.”

But the rank and file evangelicals are not for sale and many seeking an end to the corruption in Washington see Ron Paul, a born again Christian, as their best voice of protest and the best way to force
    Romney to deal with them.

Steve Scheffler, president of the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition and a GOP national committeeman, is dumbfounded that the Romney’s campaign had so far made no effort to reach out to evangelicals.

“The presidential race is likely to be truly competitive,” Mr. Scheffler said, “in about a dozen states, including Iowa, and the Republicans will need to motivate people to volunteer at calling centers and put up signs. I don’t think there’s much room for error.”

Meanwhile, the Ron Paul people continue to fill the vacuum. In Iowa they are helping Scheffler and other Santorum people get re-elected to their positions. They can afford to be generous, they have everything else.

Says Brian Jacobs, a former consultant to Billy Graham and to evangelical leaders such as Kenneth Copeland, “Ron Paul is a born again Christian who is untainted by this corruption that has engulfed Washington. It should be no big surprise that evangelicals are discovering him.”
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And rightfully so.

Pastor Brian Jacobs is the big one though, I think he needs to have a larger voice now
    Last edited by PaulSoHard; 04-11-2012 at 08:19 PM.

“I have one question for you,” one of the ministers reportedly said in the private meeting last night with Dr. Ron Paul, “Are you going to drop out? Or will you stay in all the way to Tampa?”

“I’m in,” the Texan replied.

“That’s all I need to know,” the minister said.
    Thoughts on this convo?

Ron Paul is a Christian, confirmed as a teen, but I don't know that 'born again' is precisely correct. Whatever. I don't care, either. I look at how he lives.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 04-11-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSoHard View Post
    Thoughts on this convo?
    Only that as usual Doug jumped the gun with other things he has said. If they commit after that, it will take a pliers to pull Ron from the race.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

With Santorum support, we could really do well again Romney, actually!

This is the best news I've heard in a while.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It would be great if the Santorum people got into the http://www.intowin2012.com/ Moneybomb!

THIS IS GREAT NEWS, KEEP UP THE HUSTLE EVERYBODY. WE HAVE AN ELECTION TO WIN.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

It's no surprise that Christians are now coming Dr. Paul's way. I was more surprised that they didn't come his way in the first place, but better late than never.

ABO?

Ah-Boh!

Anyone but Obama includes Ron Paul!

its about time....too bad it wasnt sooner.

Dr Paul revolution + Evangelicals could well win states in the deep south. Texas here we come!

They should have been from the beginning, but now is better than never, we'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lishy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Santorum's departure affects the upcoming states. Just how many Santorum people will switch to Ron Paul? It looks like Gingrich's money issues are working to our advantage. Imagine our support doubling overnight, lol!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelrv View Post
    Imagine our support doubling overnight, lol!
    We won't know until states vote later this month. Nobody is going to poll the primary anymore. The msm declared it over.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    We won't know until states vote later this month. Nobody is going to poll the primary anymore. The msm declared it over.
    excellent! We do far better without the polls. Look at Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    excellent! We do far better without the polls. Look at Maine.
    Maine is a Paul friendly state. I knew from all the time I've spent there that is true. I expected him to do that well.

I think PA is going to go well too. Somebody got most of the intersections in my town and the next one over with revolution stickers the other day. I was impressed.

WOW it would be great if all the evangelicals would start supporting Ron Paul. It's about time they wake up.
    ‎"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." -Einstein

sounds encouraging. i wont mind the kind of surge Santorum had in Iowa because of this !
    Ron Paul 2012: Liberty, Peace and Prosperity for America !

Ron Paul: Predictions of 24 April 2002 - see how many came true
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

Vote On Principles, Defend Our Constitution, Follow the Path shown by the Founders !

Quote Originally Posted by Salvial View Post
    Phil's an interesting guy. There are moments when you think he's going to put it all together and then he blows it. One minute he's talking about habeas, Bill of Rights, Constitution, and the next he's lamenting that we don't have a single payer system and a government that "will take care of you." He complains we don't have jobs where 17 year olds can get summer jobs in steel mills, with sooty air and hard work, but fails to connect the dots to the EPA and OSHA that have regulated those jobs out of existance.

if we got 90% of the evangelicals it could be a game changer. if we get 55% its irrelevant. if we got 25% it would suck

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lishy View Post
    Yes. Last summer people were talking about the anti Romney. They weren't talking about the anti Paul. They do want an anti Romney. Paul wasn't liked, he was dismissed, but the talk was finding someone to stop Romney. Romney does not have the majority, it's just that he's had the establishment wing vote solid since Huntsman left the race. And the "tea party" vote has been split 3 ways, with Santorum taking most of it until he left the race. Having more evangelicals on our side is great.

Yet the Washington Times today he saying the exact opposite. Social conservatives are moving to Romney. They are also repeating the pushed system template that the game is on between Obama and Romney.

So unless the money from these evangelicals start pouring into Ron's campaign, I'm hesitant to believe Weade. We shall see reality very soon.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by floridasun1983 View Post
    Phil's an interesting guy. There are moments when you think he's going to put it all together and then he blows it. One minute he's talking about habeas, Bill of Rights, Constitution, and the next he's lamenting that we don't have a single payer system and a government that "will take care of you." He complains we don't have jobs where 17 year olds can get summer jobs in steel mills, with sooty air and hard work, but fails to connect the dots to the EPA and OSHA that have regulated those jobs out of existance.
    Please, Phil is a commie douche bag. He believes that all income over $200K should be taxed at 100%, hence belongs to the govt.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

Politico disagrees:

Duggars: If not Rick, we'll settle for Mitt
    By CAITLIN MCDEVITT |
    4/11/12 1:38 PM EDT

If Mitt Romney secures the Republican presidential nomination, he’s got the Duggars’ support.

“We will vote for Gov. Romney over our current president,” Jim Bob Duggar, the dad on TLC’s “19 Kids and Counting,” told POLITICO via e-mail on Wednesday. “Gov. Romney has stated he is conservative, if elected we will ask voters to hold him accountable for his conservative promises and assurances he made during the campaign."

The Duggars were dedicated supporters of former Sen. Rick Santorum, who announced the end to his presidential bid on Tuesday.

“The past several months as we have volunteered with Rick's campaign, we have experienced joy in winning as well as the disappointment of coming in behind by a few points," Duggar said, adding that they would happily “do it all over again.”

Since January, the Duggars have appeared at numerous campaign stops across the country with Santorum, often arriving in a bus emblazoned with his name. The former senator thanked them personally for the support during his announcement yesterday.
    xttp://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/04/duggars-if-not-rick-well-settle-for-mitt-120237.html
    Last edited by randomname; 04-12-2012 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Politico disagrees:

xttp://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/04/duggars-if-not-rick-well-settle-for-mitt-120237.html
    All I see from that quote is that the duggars will vote for Romney if Romney wins the nomination. You forget that all republicans (Other than the die hard Ron Paulers) will vote for whomever wins to get Obama out. Besides, it the duggars, they are famous for popping babies (You think they would support Dr. Paul for considering) thats about it. Not exactly game changers in the political realm.

Wow, could you imagine if Ron got a large portion of Santorum delegates (75%) in the second round of voting? This could be huge.. Might have to start sending mailers to known delegates. I can't imagine Santorum publicly coming out and endorseing Ron so making it known to Santorum delegates who the Christian leaders are backing is vital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast