Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 94

Thread: Eliminating minimum wage would help the very poor!

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    Many carpool.

    In 1970, minimum wage was $1.60 & gold was $36. One hour at minimum bought you 0.044444 oz of gold. Today, if you were paid 0.044444 oz of gold per hour, that would be worth $71 (at $1600/oz). By one measure, a 1970 minimum wage job is worth ~$142,000 annually today.

    Anybody thinking minimum wage is designed to compensate for inflation ought realize the horrible failure it is.
    Of course it's a horrible failure. It hasn't kept up with inflation. But out-rightly getting rid of it isn't going to keep up with inflation, either. How does reducing minimum wage from $7.25 to $5.00 an hour make the Fed stop printing the dollar into oblivion? It doesn't.

    No one seems to be able to answer that.

    Whether you get paid $50.00/hr or $0.50/hr, the dollar is still losing value. Abolishing the minimum wage at this point would be like spitting in the wind.

    EDIT: Though, as I said, if they did abolish it, the one silver lining I could see is that people would quickly discover how much the dollar is losing value, and might do something about it. However, would they ask for an increase in the minimum wage (put on a bandaid)? or would they abolish the Fed so we have a stronger dollar (cure the disease)?
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-13-2012 at 06:57 AM.
    If something bad happens, we will be blamed. If something good happens, we will get no credit. If nothing happens, we will be forgotten.

    The Principles that Govern Social Interaction



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts View Post
    I think a big misconception is that minimum wage helps the very poor because it forces businesses to pay a minimum wage per hour for employees. I guess the way that some people see it, it is to keep the way employees are treated fair and ensure that the very poor aren't being paid $1.00/hour.

    Well I'm here to argue that eliminating the minimum wage altogether would help the very poor. At the very least it would cause the unemployment rate to drop. Companies would be able to hire employees for let's say $5/hour to do a job that brings them in approximately the same amount of money. Instead, with a minimum wage, they are paying employees $7.25/hour for work that is worth $5/hour. This forces businesses to make cuts to their workforce because they can't afford to hire enough people at $7.25/hour when they're only bringing in about $5/hour for every employee they have hired at that wage.

    Now, in our country there is a federal minimum wage and states set their own minimum wage as well. I'm not looking at this from a political perspective, moreo from an economic perspective.

    From an economic perspective, eliminating the minimum wage allows businesses to hire more employees and overall helps the very poor stay employed. Keeping the minimum wage causes the unemployment rate to rise and is detrimental to the very poor. True or false? Agree or disagree?
    I assume virtually everyone here already holds this position. It might have been a bombshell somewhere else, but not on Ron Paul Forums.

  4. #63

    Default

    Well, I thought about it some more. If you guys want to end the miminum wage, I say let's try it.

    However, I'm not getting my hopes up that the dollar will suddenly stop free-falling once we do. Gas will still be going up. Groceries will still go up. People will undoubtedly have to work more hours, for less compensation. Employers will be able to hire more workers (which, I agree, is good), but that simply means they will pay more workers with less amounts of increasingly-worthless paper (so nothing really changes).

    I really think that is the critical issue in 'helping the poor':to have a stronger dollar.

    The minimum wage isn't that big of an issue. Bailing out banks in Europe to the tune of trillions of newly-created fiat dollars is what hurts the poor (and everybody who isn't a bailout beneficiary)

    I wouldn't hesitate to work for $1/hr if the dollar was still worth what it was 50 years ago. But, I really doubt you could get people to go for that in today's economy.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-13-2012 at 07:33 AM.
    If something bad happens, we will be blamed. If something good happens, we will get no credit. If nothing happens, we will be forgotten.

    The Principles that Govern Social Interaction

  5. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Which is one of the many reasons why it is worthwhile not to have a job on the bottom of the totem pole. Isn't this why our parents encouraged us to do well in school, so that we could get better jobs?
    I think this is where we have to be careful too because a LOT of minimum wage jobs around here now are ones that you require varying amounts of secondary education or further training for. In fact, in my city, people who work in fast food restaurants and gas stations have starting wages above min wage because in this day and age, young people don't want to work 'for so little'. I was offered a job about 3 years ago at an A&W restaurant by one of our daycare parents because she found out I was getting paid $11/hr at the time and she starts people at $14/hr. I need extra classes, continuing Professional Development in various child development courses etc to keep my job. I love my job or I would be looking around for something higher paying but the funny thing is, the crappy jobs are the higher paying around here for those who do not have an education. I could go work at my kids' school once the littlest one starts, as an Education Assistant, because I have the experience and education for it already - but I would be making between $12 and $16 an hour and it's tough work sometimes (and I feel very important, working will little humans every day), but I could go make the same or more at a local fast food joint. It's bizarre. I don't know if it's because min wage has gone so high, lots of places that have work that is not 'desireable' have had to pay even more (but chains and larger businesses that have a bigger profit margin) and other places that rely on govt handouts or regulations like my workplace, rely on people to work for lower pay because they like the work and think it's important, or what. I have no real idea. It's just something I've noticed over the years. In 1991 I made $5.25 an hour after 2 years of working at KFC, and we had people applying allllll the time - now they start at over $12/hr and have trouble finding people to fill the positions. There are 'now hiring' signs in these FF places a lot despite the wages actually being above minimum wage. I don't get it!

  6. #65

    Default

    many small business owners hire someone at min wage , they get no bennies for 90 days , before 90 days the owner gets rid of them , hires new people , keeps repeating .

  7. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Well, I thought about it some more. If you guys want to end the miminum wage, I say let's try it.

    However, I'm not getting my hopes up that the dollar will suddenly stop free-falling once we do. Gas will still be going up. Groceries will still go up. People will undoubtedly have to work more hours, for less compensation. Employers will be able to hire more workers (which, I agree, is good), but that simply means they will pay more workers with less amounts of increasingly-worthless paper (so nothing really changes).

    I really think that is the critical issue in 'helping the poor':to have a stronger dollar.

    The minimum wage isn't that big of an issue. Bailing out banks in Europe to the tune of trillions of newly-created fiat dollars is what hurts the poor (and everybody who isn't a bailout beneficiary)

    I wouldn't hesitate to work for $1/hr if the dollar was still worth what it was 50 years ago. But, I really doubt you could get people to go for that in today's economy.
    I agree that the dollar needs stronger purchasing power before we scrap the minimum wage. You need the right economic environment to abolish the minimum wage. There's no way anybody could live off less than the minimum wage now with gas prices being as high as they are.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016
    TBD

  8. #67

    Default

    You should be good to go for another 2 years with such low interest rates guaranteed. Get busy. Btw if people got summer jobs at 15 they could do the same thing by 19 almost. the housing market won't be going way up until at least 3 years. No earlier.

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    If you save it, you'll get robbed, lol.

    No one in his right mind (or at least, paying attentiong to the dollar's declining purchasing power) is going to work for $1000/mo and hold on to it for 3 years, given the rate of inflation. That down payment is going to increase by the time they are ready to buy a home. The military might be a good bet from an economic standpoint, since you will be taken care of (somewhat) so long as you are in the service.

  9. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Most of the people who make minimum wage are either part time workers or high school students just trying to make a little extra money. Very few adults actually work full time at minimum wage jobs.
    That's not true at all anymore. A lot of adults make min wage and the ones that don't = welfare.

  10. #69

    Default

    I would like to add my perspective on this,

    Here's the deal,

    I know a lot of people are in love with the idea of minimum wage because it supposedly helps the poor, but it does no such thing, what it does is as the OP has pointed out, is restrict the amount of people an employer can hire. Ok how does this effect everything else?

    Less employees equals less productivity, equals less products equals higher prices, inflation and many other economic ills.

    Ok, lets look at the other side of the coin,

    If you have no minimum wage, what will happen is businesses will be able to hire as they need, more products will be created and prices will fall.
    More people will be employed and guess what, more products will be purchased, this will start a new cycle of increased production, again prices will fall.

    So the overall net effect is that more people will be employed, while they make less money, prices will be lower, the economy will surge with new jobs.

    This doesn't mean that more experienced workers will get lower pay, in fact they might get more, as the needs of a company reflect the needs of the economy more higher skilled workers will be needed and guess what they will be in demand, employees will be in the drivers seat of the economy.

    So there will be jobs that are low paying, and these will be filled by younger people just starting out or other people who have different needs.
    But there will be also higher paying jobs that will go to higher skilled workers, younger less skilled workers will have more incentive to learn skills, thus opening up their old job to another youngster.

    That my friends is the dirty little secret they don't want you to know, you can't tell me for a second, college grads don't see this.
    This is one wrench in the machine that is slowing our economic growth, Ron Paul please notice this, and talk about it.
    Remember humans are people too.

  11. #70

    Default

    Can someone debunk this intelligently? Please watch the video carefully.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHpYUO4u5g

    "k Well, someones gotta push the fuckin broom. And if thats what they do 40 hrs a week, then they deserve a decent living. Your time is your time, period. And I dont believe that businesses cant afford to pay employees more. They are just too greedy. How bout they try taking a pay cut, rather than take it from us...the ones that actually do the work that makes them their money."

  12. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liberty4life View Post
    Ok, lets look at the other side of the coin,

    If you have no minimum wage, what will happen is businesses will be able to hire as they need, more products will be created and prices will fall.
    More people will be employed and guess what, more products will be purchased, this will start a new cycle of increased production, again prices will fall.

    So the overall net effect is that more people will be employed, while they make less money, prices will be lower, the economy will surge with new jobs.
    You make this sound nice and simple but you don't provide any evidence of this happening so nicely. In fact people would probably spend LESS as they are holding onto their money to pay for gas and anything important. Btw you won't be making jack shit if you're making less than the min wage. You'll also have to work more like a slave and work ridiculously longer hours while trying to get by.

    The economy won't improve until we are off the fed reserve system and that is the reality. No way in hell people are going to work for less than peanuts with a fed reserve system still going. They will hang out and use the welfare system like they do every day in California.

    Prove me wrong.

  13. #72

    Default

    it has always been my belief that there is only 2 forms of goverment in the world .

    fascist and socialist , dems and repub's are just names , they are somewhere in the middle of f/s systems and at time start going a little toward the fascist of socialist sides .

    the way things are going now it is my 2c that overall we are going toward the fascist side , mainly because we are losing our middle class at a very high rate because of losing out mfr base .

    i am afraid we will start swinging toward the socialist side if things get much worse for the lower/middle class.

    that will get a big bump with lowering the min wage.

  14. #73

    Default

    Ron Paul: Abolish minimum wage to ‘help poor people’

    http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/20...p-poor-people/
    Last edited by Traditional Conservative; 04-13-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    1 Peter 1: 24-25

    For, "All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord endures forever."

  15. #74

    Default

    If they keep printing money then people will suffer whether or not there is a minimum wage. Eliminating the minimum wage just allows more people to get jobs. Sound money allows them to make a living on those lower paying jobs.

  16. #75

    Default

    Following up on my previous comment, as it stands now, employers have to be very discriminating when they hire because they are investing quite a bit of confidence in their new hire, with a lower wage, they can hire quicker and easier, see if the new guy works out and go from there.

    With increased productivity all products will be more abundant, even gas, there will be a tendency to save of course, this money will also help as it gains interest in a bank, now banks will have more money to invest in businesses, and businesses will have more capital to hire new employees at higher wages.

    Just because you make less money doesn't mean more work hours, as I said prices will plummet as more products line the shelves, markets will have to lower prices to get people to buy them, more people buying products will increase need for more products.

    While he is correct a true fix will be related to the elimination of fiat money and going back to a true value based dollar, this doesn't mean its the only solution.

    There will always be slackers, but as they see their peers doing well in life they will soon decide they are missing out on something.
    Remember humans are people too.

  17. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csu1987 View Post
    You should be good to go for another 2 years with such low interest rates guaranteed. Get busy. Btw if people got summer jobs at 15 they could do the same thing by 19 almost. the housing market won't be going way up until at least 3 years. No earlier.
    But isn't that basically just, a "rat race", with folks trying desperately to out-run inflation? I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather not spend my life slaving away for some idiots at the Federal Reserve who keep moving the goal-posts whenever I get close to my goal.

    Maybe that's why so many people are starting to say, "screw it, I'll just stop working." (of course, welfare/unemployment does play a role in their ability to do that, eventually though, it will run out, or the dollar will collapse; I suppose if those 'crutches' didn't exist, some folks would have started a French revolution by now, and this debate here would be rather moot).

    I mean, your income isn't actually yours if someone else can easily undermine the value of your earnings with the power of a printing press (or punching some numbers on a computer screen, which is how they do it now-a-days). Whatever compensation you get for your current work and effort shouldn't just magically devalue over time.

    That's what hurts poor people. That's why we're trapped at the bottom rung, and that's why the middle class is destined to join us, as the Fed puts its boot down on all of us. When I talk to people about monetary policy and Ron Paul, I try to get people to see that it isn't about class warfare.

    We're all getting screwed.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    If they keep printing money then people will suffer whether or not there is a minimum wage. Eliminating the minimum wage just allows more people to get jobs. Sound money allows them to make a living on those lower paying jobs.
    In fewer words than I used, you just summarized my position. Thank you.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-13-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    If something bad happens, we will be blamed. If something good happens, we will get no credit. If nothing happens, we will be forgotten.

    The Principles that Govern Social Interaction

  18. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by csu1987 View Post
    Can someone debunk this intelligently? Please watch the video carefully.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHpYUO4u5g

    "k Well, someones gotta push the fuckin broom. And if thats what they do 40 hrs a week, then they deserve a decent living. Your time is your time, period. And I dont believe that businesses cant afford to pay employees more. They are just too greedy. How bout they try taking a pay cut, rather than take it from us...the ones that actually do the work that makes them their money."
    If I may critique that link, by stating that raising the minimum wage (or subsidizing low-income earners) is no more of a solution than lowering (abolishing) the minimum wage. The issue of the level of wages is not the most important factor. The issue of the *value* of wages (paid in dollars) is critically important. We have to end the Fed or else the value of the dollar will continue to fall, regardless.

    I'm not a big fan of the youtube user "SchittReport", either. He's a big-time Keynesian economist who throws out a lot of babies with the bathwater when it comes to Peter Schiff's ideas.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    If something bad happens, we will be blamed. If something good happens, we will get no credit. If nothing happens, we will be forgotten.

    The Principles that Govern Social Interaction

  19. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Most of the people who make minimum wage are either part time workers or high school students just trying to make a little extra money. Very few adults actually work full time at minimum wage jobs.

    Also, why exactly do you support Ron Paul if you support massive government regulations like the minimum wage? Do you realize that Ron Paul wants to abolish the minimum wage?
    Obviously you've never been where I live. All jobs around here are minimum wage unless you have a job that requires a degree. And even entry-level positions with those are minimum wage. At the Wendy's I worked at, 3 employess were high school students. The other 25 were adults. This is their only job. A few have worked there for almost 20 years. Any of the fast food places have teenagers, but they all have more adults than teenagers at them. Any job you look for in this town, fast food, retail, dietary aides and custodial at the hospital... all of it is minimum wage. And basically every single person who works at them is on food stamps unless they have a spouse with a better job. Sure they could drive 1/2 hour to an hour out of town... and get a minimum wage job. The Ohio Valley in SE Ohio is not a very wealthy area. We never left the Depression really.
    Just giving some perspective. Less than minimum wage here and 80% of the population will be on government assistance. If we could get prices to go down, we definitely could get rid of it. Until that happens... And every place around here is always hiring. High turnover rates while people find a minimum wage job they can stand working at.

  20. #79

    Default

    Germany doesn't have a minimum wage, and they have a very successful economy. However, they have other laws that protect the poor like universal health care, housing subsidies, and rent control. They also have an aging + declining population, which almost guarantees high employment. Arguments for and against minimum wage would need to take into account demographics and other social programs.

    I have found that Americans who are against the minimum wage and whine hard about inflation are usually on some form of welfare themselves. They tend to be retired on social security or a government pensions or disability. That's what I have found. Employers I know are in favor of it because it eliminates incentives for their competitors to price them out by screwing their workers. Manufacturing that can't compete with countries like China has a host of problems in America, and wages are just one of them, probably a minor one at this point.
    Last edited by furface; 04-13-2012 at 01:57 PM.

  21. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Of course it's a horrible failure. It hasn't kept up with inflation. But out-rightly getting rid of it isn't going to keep up with inflation, either. How does reducing minimum wage from $7.25 to $5.00 an hour make the Fed stop printing the dollar into oblivion? It doesn't.

    No one seems to be able to answer that.
    "Eliminating minimum wage" is the issue. Not lowering it. Maybe you need your own thread to discuss why you love the minimum wage so long as the Fed exists. You came up with a complete fantasy that inflation or the Fed is the cause of the minimum wage. It isn't. Having been shown that the minimum wage doesn't keep pace with minimum wage, you have the gall to ask "How does reducing minimum wage from $7.25 to $5.00 an hour make the Fed stop printing the dollar into oblivion?". That's not the fucking issue!

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    If I may critique that link, by stating that raising the minimum wage (or subsidizing low-income earners) is no more of a solution than lowering (abolishing) the minimum wage. The issue of the level of wages is not the most important factor. The issue of the *value* of wages (paid in dollars) is critically important. We have to end the Fed or else the value of the dollar will continue to fall, regardless.
    You are Fed-trolling the issue and are secretly in love with minimum wage.

    Ending the minimum wage has jack-shit to do with debt, deficits, the fed, printing money, monetary expansion. The minimum wage does contribute to inflation, but you are blind to anything but the Fed as an inflationary cause. Nobody - heh - said, "I know what will piss off Bernanke - end the minimum wage! ROAR!!!".

    You made an unsubstantiated claim (Fed leads to minimum wage) and are now asking people to prove the reverse (ending minimum wage will stop the Fed). It is 100% unsubstantiated bullshit.

  22. #81

    Default

    its all easy to say , i doubt if very many this forum are on min wage , if there are i wonder if they would like a cut in min wages .

    min wage has nothing at all to do with the fed res .

    nothing would change for either if the fed or min wage were gone.

    i do think that employers would hire more people if the min wage was gone and they could hire people at $4-5/hr , they would need to as they would get less work out of the ones making $4-5/h.

  23. #82

    Default

    Wow, I haven't read this whole thread, but methinks some of you should read Dr. Paul's position and youtube Milton Freidman on Minimum Wage... Minimum wage hurts the disfortunate and underskilled, because employers won't take a chance on helping them obtain skills at that high of price (along with more potential for turnover, inneffeciency, etc.), when they can opt for better skilled workers who will now take the job at a higher wage...

    Also, to those that say that no minimum wage would mean they'd pay everyone next to nothing, then why are so few jobs minimum wage right now, since you assume that they'll just pay as little possible? Answer, companies have to compete against each other for resources/labor, and so if every company is only paying $5, the one who's paying $6 will get better employees, and the one paying $7 better, $8 better, up until it's not worth it ot pay them any more than that (and of course what wage people are willing to work for matters too)...

    Of course you can pay $3 an hour, but you're not going to get anyone but homeless people to work for that, and it's likely going to cost you in productivity adn turnover, efficiency, etc., that you save, unless the job is truly not worth any more than that..
    The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

  24. #83

    Default

    I was just saying in my town, unless you're a working professional (doctor, nurse, lawyer, accountant) or work in the mines, ALL jobs are minimum wage. I could go to every business in town and they all pay that... oh except bank tellers get .50 more. Even our fire department is volunteer and our police work for minimum wage. Yeah. I'm not kidding. I worked minimum wage at Wendy's as my second job. My other job is paid by my employers who are 2 hours away in Columbus and I get paid what they pay the people there who do my job (work for a sleep lab). After 5 years, I'm making $11.26 but am only allowed to work 24 hours a week else they'd have to offer benefits and give me paid vacation, etc. So I'm still at $12/yr. Thankfully because the area is so poor, it's also incredibly cheap to live in. My mortgage is only $300 so I'm good.

  25. #84

    Default

    After 5 years, I'm making $11.26 but am only allowed to work 24 hours a week else they'd have to offer benefits and give me paid vacation, etc.
    You appear to be one of the few people on this thread who actually has a job. I think a prerequisite for posting on such topics as this should be that you have a job (not State benefits like Social Security, disability, or pensions) and aren't living with or being supported by your parents.

  26. #85

    Default

    Let's pay everyone $0.10 an hour while the Federal Reserve gives Goldman Sachs et. al.
    $1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 .

    That' should really help poor people.

    And WTF is "Fed trolling"?,

    The Free Hornet,

    You do realize that 'ending the Fed' is one of Ron Paul's top issues, right?

    "Eliminating minimum wage" is the issue. Not lowering it. Maybe you need your own thread to discuss why you love the minimum wage so long as the Fed exists.
    I *never* said I loved the minimum wage. I said you guys are aiming at a minor target. As they say, "re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic".

    I don't guess it matters anyway. You've got about as good a chance of ending the minimum wage as I do of ending the Fed. So it looks like we're both just throwing empty punches.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 04-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    If something bad happens, we will be blamed. If something good happens, we will get no credit. If nothing happens, we will be forgotten.

    The Principles that Govern Social Interaction

  27. #86

    Default

    Minimum wage laws also drive up inflation as companies "know" people will have at least so much money. Wanting to get as much as possible, they raise their prices in order to get all the new "extra" money. Getting rid of minimum wages would allow the true costs of products and services to drop to what they are really worth i.e. what people would really pay for them. In fact it might even make most things cheaper than their "actual" worth as companies compete to have the lowest price for the best product as opposed to what they do now and charging you as much as they can for the minimum amount of work and product they can get away with.
    "The bird or the cage?"-The Lutece Twins

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

    "That every man may act... be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment. And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose"- Jesus Christ, Doctrine and Covenants 101:78-80

  28. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Let's pay everyone $0.10 an hour while the Federal Reserve gives Goldman Sachs et. al.
    $1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 .

    That' should really help poor people.

    And WTF is "Fed trolling"?,

    The Free Hornet,

    You do realize that 'ending the Fed' is one of Ron Paul's top issues, right?



    I *never* said I loved the minimum wage. I said you guys are aiming at a minor target. As they say, "re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic".

    I don't guess it matters anyway. You've got about as good a chance of ending the minimum wage as I do of ending the Fed. So it looks like we're both just throwing empty punches.
    Is your avatar the Rent Is Damn High Guy?
    "The bird or the cage?"-The Lutece Twins

    "A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan

    "There are three things the parasite hates: free markets, free will, and free men."-Andrew Ryan

    "That every man may act... be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment. And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose"- Jesus Christ, Doctrine and Covenants 101:78-80

  29. #88

    Default

    Let the free market work damnit! The free market!
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016
    TBD

  30. #89

    Default

    I *never* said I loved the minimum wage. I said you guys are aiming at a minor target. As they say, "re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic".
    It's a petty, mean spirited topic. I remember reading a letter to the editor in my local newspaper from a senior couple who said they were going to withhold tips from waiters because of a recent minimum wage increase. This is the group of people piss moaning about the minimum wage. Their Salisbury Steak Special goes up 25 cents and they think that every other problem in the world is irrelevant compared to their tiny extra expense. That and people being supported by their parents who get a fixed allowance.

    It's got to be those people because anybody who had real expenses like medical care and housing would know that the minimum wage has nothing at all to do with things that are really effecting wage earners. Things like medical insurance, housing, tuition for their kids, and fuel to a certain extent.

    And don't even start on the other things that are much bigger issues than the minimum wage. This Monday is "tax day." Anybody notice that? Probably not because they get money from the government and aren't worried so much that it comes from other people, and that other people's lives have been made miserable by being forced to comply to it all.

    Let the free market work damnit! The free market!
    The minimum wage's effect on the market is trivial. Study after study has shown this to be the case. A much bigger problem is professional monopolies like MD & Dentistry licensing.
    Last edited by furface; 04-13-2012 at 06:58 PM.

  31. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furface View Post
    You appear to be one of the few people on this thread who actually has a job. I think a prerequisite for posting on such topics as this should be that you have a job (not State benefits like Social Security, disability, or pensions) and aren't living with or being supported by your parents.
    I have a job I make over 25$ an hour as an electrician, the reason why people are on these benefits is because the liberals want voters, and they will vote for whoever gives them these benefits, sad but true, its conditioning, we were conditioned into it and we can be trained out of it.
    They got people addicted to free lunches and now people think they are entitled to them, they know what they are doing, it will be near impossible to fix.
    The best thing America can do now is start over, set the dollar to a real gold or something of value, the best would be a diverse value, that way it wont fluctuate much.
    Remember humans are people too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast





« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •