Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spies from China, Russia and Iran infect American universities to steal government and cor

Spies from China, Russia and Iran infect American universities to steal government and cor

American universities have become infected with foreign spies posing as humble students and researchers, who are working to steal government secrets and new technologies to take back to their own countries.

Untold numbers of foreign agents are hidden among the thousands of legitimate international students who are studying science, technology and engineering in the US.

China, Russia and Iran are among the nations who are attempting to exploit the culture of openness and transparency in American higher education.

Attempts by China and other East Asian countries to use academic channels to get their hands on classified information or corporate secrets rose eight-fold between 2009 and 2010, alone, Bloomberg reports

Similar attempts by Middle Eastern governments rose by two-fold last year.

'We have intelligence and cases indicating that U.S. universities are indeed a target of foreign intelligence services,' Frank Figliuzzi, the assistant director for counterintelligence for the FBI, told Bloomberg.

Several recent arrests and discoveries illustrate the point. Even the high-profile network of Russian sleeper agents that was dismantled in 2010 had ties to spying at American universities.

Lidiya Guryeva aka Cynthia Murphy, who lived a suburban life in Montclair, New Jersey, held multiple degrees from prestigious colleges like Columbia University and NYU.

According to Bloomberg, Guryeva received instructions from her Russian handlers to form 'ties w. classmates on daily basis incl. professors who can help in job search and who will have (or already have) access to secret info.' She was also told the look for potential targets 'to be recruited by Service.'

Iran also plays a role in academic spying. Michigan State University was struggling to keep its campus in Dubai open in 2009 when an Arab company stepped forward and promised to provide students and funding.

However, when MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon reached out to the CIA, agents said there was a possibility the company, which had Iranian investors, was really a front for the Iranian government.

Simon killed the deal and shut down part of the Dubai campus, costing the university $3.7 million.

However, on the academic spying front, China seems to be the biggest player of them all.

China employs up to 3,000 shell companies that it uses to try to acquire us technology secrets, Bloomberg reports.

It also has an army of student spies. Some of them are merely students who are coerced into spying. Others are plants posing as students -- trained foreign operatives with ulterior motives.

Professor Daniel J. Scheeres, who studies aerospace engineering, took on a student named Yu Xiaohong to study with him at the University of Michigan.

Scheeres, who studies the movement and control of spacecraft and objects in space, told Bloomberg Xiaohong listed a Chinese civilian university as her research background.

He never suspected she had ties to the Chinese military. However, on her American university documents, she listed her home as the Academy of Equipment Command & Technology -- a college for young Chinese military officers and cadets.

She had also written a lengthy article on upgrading the accuracy of Chinese anti-satellite weapons.

As Yu pressured him to reveal secrets about his research, Scheeres soon realized that her interests who not merely of a civilian nature.

'It was pretty clear to me that the stuff she was interested in probably had some military satellite-orbit applications,' he told Bloomberg.

Foreign intelligence services, especially the ones in China, are also looking to exploit American study-abroad programs as an opportunity to find and turn American students.

Such is the case of Glenn Duffie Shriver, a former student at Grand Valley State University in Allendale, Michigan, who studied at East China Normal University in Shanghai.

After he graduated, Chinese intelligence service agents hooked up with him and paid him, more than $70,000 and sent him back to the US, where he applied to work for the CIA.

If accepted for a job, he admitted in 2011, he planned to sell secrets to the Chinese. He was sentenced to four years in federal prison.

'Study-abroad programs are an attractive target. Foreign security services find young, bright U.S. kids in science or politics, it’s worth winning them over,' Figliuzzi, the FBI counterintelligence director, told Bloomberg.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1reZvp1f5

How long will it take this to make hot topics like the NASA spy caught spying for Israel did in less than a day?

Read it here: NASA Scientist Guilty Of Spying For Israel
    Last edited by RickyJ; 04-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's a better question: WHY are there government secrets in our universities? Is there an experiment I don't know about being done on students???

What is the government trying to hide?

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    What is the government trying to hide?
    Whatever they are tying to hide, they don't seem to be too good at it. At least that is the way they present themselves. I am sure there are agencies of our government that can actually keep secrets, they are of course secret agencies.

Psychic spies from China try to steal your mind's elation...

I think Ricky is running a test to see of this spies thread stays here or gets moved to hot topics lol

Don't worry Bill Clinton already gave a ton of R&D and Nuclear technology information to China in 1993. Not too mention a trade agreement that ruined our economy even more.

Liberals = Ruining our country since FDR

NEWSFLASH: WHITES STEAL GUNPOWDER FROM THE CHINESE .BORING.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsylexic View Post
    NEWSFLASH: WHITES STEAL GUNPOWDER FROM THE CHINESE .BORING.
    That must explain kung fu, the chinese couldn't invent the gun. haha

Last edited by csu1987; 04-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by csu1987 View Post
    That must explain kung fu, the chinese couldn't invent the gun. haha
    Yea, some people just automatically think, "How can I kill even more people with this", every time there is new technology.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Universities by their very nature are open institutions where transparency and the free sharing of knowledge are supposed to be normal.

Get governments out of education and this won't be a problem.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Yea, some people just automatically think, "How can I kill even more people with this", every time there is new technology.
    Yeeeeah..... and some libtarded people want to go back to the stone-age when it comes to protecting yourself and your home with a.... *gasp*...gun.

The dailymail is basically our version of the National Inquirer. I'm highly skeptical.

1. There isn't that much to steal in a university that a foreign government would value.

2. The article has no facts. Just speculation.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    The dailymail is basically our version of the National Inquirer. I'm highly skeptical.

1. There isn't that much to steal in a university that a foreign government would value.

This^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post

What is it with you and reading comprehension?

Facts from the article:
    We have intelligence and cases indicating that U.S. universities are indeed a target of foreign intelligence services,' Frank Figliuzzi, the assistant director for counterintelligence for the FBI, told Bloomberg.

Several recent arrests and discoveries illustrate the point. Even the high-profile network of Russian sleeper agents that was dismantled in 2010 had ties to spying at American universities.

Is anyone aware of the quality of research being done at universities? The research they do is usually pretty pathetic, and just a poor excuse to waste money. If anything these spies will be stealing our secrets on how not to do things.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tttppp View Post
    Is anyone aware of the quality of research being done at universities? The research they do is usually pretty pathetic, and just a poor excuse to waste money. If anything these spies will be stealing our secrets on how not to do things.
    I beg to differ.

On a side note, why in the world would they want to spy at Michigan State? They don't even know how to tie their shoes over in East Lansing

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    I beg to differ.

On a side note, why in the world would they want to spy at Michigan State? They don't even know how to tie their shoes over in East Lansing
    Please explain how these universities are not wasting money. In my experience, I saw them building new building after new building they don't need, then jacking up the tuition rates. I've never spoken to a professor who had done any interesting research. Its always total bs.

Please explain how these universities are not wasting money. In my experience, I saw them building new building after new building they don't need, then jacking up the tuition rates. I've never spoken to a professor who had done any interesting research. Its always total bs.
    This has been my experience as well. They keep charging more and providing less. College, for the most part, is more an "experience" than "higher learning" nowadays.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    What is it with you and reading comprehension?

Facts from the article:
    Those aren't facts. Those are the opinion of someone named Frank Figliuzzi.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

My school has produced the EKG, gastroscope, polio vaccine, the insulin pump, the genetic mapping for sickle cell anemia, the discovery of the genes that cause cystic fibrosis, the gene that marks the deadliest form of prostate cancer, the creation of the machine that screens for diabetic neuropathy, etc.

That's only from the medical school.

Last year the university announced that research at the university produced 322 new inventions that fiscal year, and filed for 122 patents.

Need I go on?

My school has produced the EKG, gastroscope, polio vaccine, the insulin pump, the genetic mapping for sickle cell anemia, the discovery of the genes that cause cystic fibrosis, the gene that marks the deadliest form of prostate cancer, the creation of the machine that screens for diabetic neuropathy, etc.

That's only from the medical school.

Last year the university announced that research at the university produced 322 new inventions that fiscal year, and filed for 122 patents.

Need I go on?
    Tell me how many cures the medical school has developed. You can add in all the cures from all the universities if you like.

Also, patents are worthless. What matters is what you do in the market. Developing invention after invention which just ends up sitting in someones lab, does not help anyone.
    Last edited by tttppp; 04-11-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    This has been my experience as well. They keep charging more and providing less. College, for the most part, is more an "experience" than "higher learning" nowadays.
    Its incredibly stupid of them considering they could be putting most of these classes online. Instead their spending millions of dollars on new schools which only service a few.

Not to mention their online Master program for accounting somehow costs more than what it costs for in person classes. I don't know how they made online classes cost more than in person classes, but somehow they figure out how to $#@! up.

Back when I was a computer science student encryption was not allowed for export. Yet the government's own DES algorithm was detailed in my operating systems text (right along with the "illegal for export" warning). At the university most of the computer science grad students were Chinese, Indian or Pakistani. I often thought "So the government thinks these top students couldn't just memorize this and take it out with them the next time they go home?" I have no idea what kind of "not for export" technology nuclear physics or electrical engineering students might get exposed to. I don't stay up at night worrying about this. I just think it's funny. (I might worry a little about Chinese hackers apparently now knowing how to take over U.S. military drones. But then again, I don't like drones.)
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tell me how many cures the medical school has developed. You can add in all the cures from all the universities if you like.
    If you want you can do it yourself, I have a research paper of my own to do.

By the way, diagnostics are just as important as "cures". You can't cure a disease if you can't find out how the disease manifests itself.

This sounds like just a conspiracy to me.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Its incredibly stupid of them considering they could be putting most of these classes online. Instead their spending millions of dollars on new schools which only service a few.

Not to mention their online Master program for accounting somehow costs more than what it costs for in person classes. I don't know how they made online classes cost more than in person classes, but somehow they figure out how to $#@! up.
    Indeed! Also, a whole lot of classes required for a BA (perhaps even higher, not sure about that) can be taken at a community college/junior college for a fraction of the price of a 4-year school. These 2-year schools are VASTLY underrated-almost criminally so. The instruction quality is the same (or better) as what universities offer (often better, since many profs in uni's hand off lecture work to TA's-which isn't done at community colleges AFAIK. Class sizes are also much smaller than at uni's). 2 year schools also commonly offer teachers with real world experience. I think it would be awesome if community colleges could branch out and offer some 4 year degree programs (the MCCD has flirted with the idea in recent years).

Another cool thing-community colleges typically do little to no suckling at the government teat.

If you want you can do it yourself, I have a research paper of my own to do.

By the way, diagnostics are just as important as "cures". You can't cure a disease if you can't find out how the disease manifests itself.
    You're the one telling me there are benefits to research done in universities. You tell me what cures there are. I'm not going to do even more research on something I know that doesn't exist.

Diagnostics are a waste of time. The chinese have been able to diagnose patients just by looking at their tongue (which only takes minutes if that) for thousands of years. Please tell me why we need to spend billions of dollars looking for new diagnostic techniques that are not even as good as what the chinese already have.

Just by being a patient of an acupuncturist I've discovered better diagnostic techniques than all the universities in the U.S. ever have.

I'm a little surprised you chose to use the U.S. health industry to back up your argument, considering its one of the most pathetic industries of all time.
    Last edited by tttppp; 04-11-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Indeed! Also, a whole lot of classes required for a BA (perhaps even higher, not sure about that) can be taken at a community college/junior college for a fraction of the price of a 4-year school. These 2-year schools are VASTLY underrated-almost criminally so. The instruction quality is the same (or better) as what universities offer (often better, since many profs in uni's hand off lecture work to TA's-which isn't done at community colleges AFAIK. Class sizes are also much smaller than at uni's). 2 year schools also commonly offer teachers with real world experience. I think it would be awesome if community colleges could branch out and offer some 4 year degree programs (the MCCD has flirted with the idea in recent years).

Another cool thing-community colleges typically do little to no suckling at the government teat.
    Better yet, why can't we have this done at high school, or have kids graduate from college before they are even 18? The colleges are very inefficient, but the public schools and even most private schools are a complete waste of time. They are 99% day care.

Again, what could be soooo secret about a university class, that a spy is a threat? Seems like a waste of money China and Pals are doing here. They should be using that money to help their own damn citizens instead of obsessing this war bull$#@!! They constantly complain about America, so why don't they show a better example!? BAH!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast