Thread: dial 911 and die

Unhappy dial 911 and die

Not sure what part of the city this happened in, but it happened in my hometown. Thought it merits its own thread.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2009/0...r_Shooting.htm

PHOENIX (CN) - A homeowner says a Phoenix police officer shot him six times in the back during a 911 home-invasion call, and the 911 tape recorded the officer's partner saying, "That's all right. Don't worry about it. I got your back. ... We clear?" The family says the officers were not aware that the 911 call was still recording as they spoke about covering up the shooting.
    In their complaint in Maricopa County Court, Anthony and Lesley Arambula say an armed intruder "crashed through the front window" of their home on Sept. 17, 2008 and ran into one of their son's bedrooms.
    Anthony, worried about his son who was still in his bedroom, says he "held the intruder calmly at gunpoint" and called 911.
    Phoenix Police officers already in the neighborhood heard the crash of the Arambulas' window. When they approached the house, Lesley says, she told Sgt. Sean Coutts that her husband was inside holding the intruder at gunpoint. Lesley says Coutts failed to pass on that information to the two other officers.
    Inside the house, the Arambulas say, Officer Brian Lilly shot Anthony six times in the back while he was still on the phone with the 911 operator - twice when he was on the ground.
    The officers ran into the bedroom after Anthony told them, "You just killed ... you just killed the homeowner. The bad guy is in there."
    The complaint states that Officer Lilly "admitted that it was only after Tony was laying, bullet-ridden, on the ground that he assessed the situation. The 911 tape continued to record what happened even after Officer Lilly unloaded his weapon into Tony, including Officer Lilly's post-shooting, one-word 'assessment': '$#@!.'
    "Tony believed he was going to die; the 911 tape records his plaintive goodbye to his family: '... I love you ... I love you.' Then Tony made what he believed was a dying request to the officers; he did not want his young family to see him shot and bloodied. Officers callously ignored his request and painfully dragged Tony by his injured leg, through the home and out to his backyard patio, where they left him bloodied and shot right in front of Lesley, Matthew and Zachary."
    The Arambulas say the officers later dragged Anthony onto gravel, then put him on top of the hot hood of a squad car, and "drove the squad car down the street with Tony lying on top, writhing in pain."
    According to the complaint, Lilly can be heard on the 911 tape telling Coutts, "We $#@!ed up."
    Lilly says on the tape that he did not know where Anthony's gun was when he shot him and that he "opened fire because he heard loud noises and saw someone who looked like he might be the 'Hispanic' male they were pursuing" before getting to the Arambulas' house, according to the complaint.
    The complaint states: "Sgt. Coutts knew that officers has just shot up and likely killed an innocent homeowner and the husband of Lesley, with whom he had spoken before entering the home, instead of the armed intruder. Sgt. Coutts was quick to commence the cover-up of their terrible mistake. Sgt. Coutts asked Office Lilly where Tony's gun was at the time Officer Lilly had opened fire on Tony. Officer Lilly admitted that he did not know where Tony's gun was: 'I don't know. I heard screaming and I fired.'"
    Lilly later told a police internal affairs investigator that Anthony had pointed his gun in his direction, "in the 'ready' position," the complaint states. But Anthony Arambula says he was facing away from the officers, who could not have even seen his gun.
    The complaint continues: "Still not knowing that he is being recorded n the 911 tape, Sgt. Coutts interrupted Officer Lilly's admission and apology with his assurance that the cover-up would commence: 'That's all right. Don't worry about it. I got your back. ... We clear?'"
    After the shooting, the Arambulas say, the Phoenix Police Department treated them "like suspects in a drug bust," denying Lesley, Michael and Zachary information about Anthony's condition and denying friends and family members access to him at the hospital.
    Anthony Arambula survived, but continues to suffer pain, which he expects will last for the rest of his life.
    The City of Phoenix and Officer Dzenan Ahmetovic also are named as defendants.
    The Arambulas seek punitive damages for gross negligence, civil rights violations, failure to supervise, excessive force, deliberate indifference to medical needs, false arrest, and emotional distress. They are represented by Michael Manning with Stinson Morrison Hecker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, I remember when that happened.

Didn't our resident BillyBad Ass comment that it was the family's fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Yeah, I remember when that happened.

Didn't our resident BillyBad Ass comment that it was the family's fault?
    IIRC, yes.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

A Phoenix police officer who mistakenly shot an armed homeowner during a search for an intruder was cleared of wrongdoing this week by a committee that reviews such shootings.

The ruling by the Phoenix Use of Force Board determined Officer Brian Lilly acted within police policy in the incident, in which he fired six shots at the homeowner amid the confusion of a home invasion last September.

The shooting hospitalized homeowner Tony Arambula, who earlier this year sought a $5.75 million settlement in the case.

Lilly and Phoenix Sgt. Sean Coutts were named in a lawsuit filed last week in Maricopa County Superior Court.

Arambula, 36, was armed and holding a suspect at bay when he suffered gunshot wounds to his back and arm, according to the complaint.

Arambula claimed Lilly shot him twice as he lay bleeding on the floor of his living room, his wife and two young sons nearby.

The suspect, Angel Anastacio Canales, had broken into Arambula's home near 32nd Street and Thomas Road as officers tracked him from a "shots-fired" call in the area.

Arambula had the gunman cornered in his 12-year-old son's room when the officer opened fire.

"This is the type of thing that so severely demeans the credibility of these (police) review boards," said Michael Manning, the attorney representing Arambula.

"Physically, it would have been impossible for (Lilly) to see Tony's face or the gun," he said. "They admit on the 911 call that they didn't warn him."

Officer Jerry Gannon, Lilly's representative from the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association, said it took less than one minute from when officers entered the home searching for a Hispanic male suspect to the when Lilly reacted to seeing Arambula holding a gun.

Gannon and other members of the organization's board said the shooting was difficult to avoid, considering the fluidity of the emergency scene.

"If Brian would have known there was a homeowner in there, he probably would have hesitated," Gannon said, "but if he had hesitated, and it was the (suspect), the outcome could have been tragic."

Phoenix Public Safety Manager Jack Harris will review the Use of Force Board's ruling and make an official determination on Lilly's shooting.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...#ixzz1rJczTEop
    This cop didn't even get fired?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    This cop didn't even get fired?
    Oh wait that's right. Doing that would admit fault and open them up to a 5.75 million dollar lawsuit.

Still searching for the result of that suit. I have a good guess but just want to make sure.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

I suppose the same people who say don't dial 911, are upset because this family did, rather than protect self from an intruder.
    But can't fathom someone blaming the family, because they did make that call

The double standard knows no bounds, it seems.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by azxd View Post
    I suppose the same people who say don't dial 911, are upset because this family did, rather than protect self from an intruder.
    The father had it taken care of.

I blame the man who shot the innocent person. That's just me though.

Though the people of this country are starting to share in this blame. They let this continue. (secession please)
    Last edited by TheTexan; 04-06-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    - Kim Kardashian

Quote Originally Posted by azxd View Post

Noone's blaming the family. I'm not. The problem is the presumption that the police are there to protect anyone. They're not. It's not a double standard-just pointing out a fact.

The courts at every level have ruled that cops have no obligation to protect anyone.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    The courts at every level have ruled that cops have no obligation to protect anyone.
    And not just once.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Noone's blaming the family. I'm not. The problem is the presumption that the police are there to protect anyone. They're not. It's not a double standard-just pointing out a fact.

YEP, and that is why in the thread you originally posted this in, I called it a tactical error on the part of the family ... IMO, the guy should have shot, or left the perp in the house, alone.
    But don't get me wrong ... I'm not blaming the family, just pointing out that making a phone call, is worthless, but also won't automatically get you shot.

Because you are 100% correct, it is not the job of LE to protect citizens ... The court has said this is so.
    Therefore protect self and family.

IMO and in my philosophy,
    Drawing a weapon means you intend to use it ... Not hold someone until LE arrives.
    Hero's do that kind of thing, and many of them end up dead for their efforts.

STOP the threat !!!
    Last edited by azxd; 04-06-2012 at 08:38 PM.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

The court system that advocates this BS is not representative of this taxpayer.

Those cops need to be held to the same standards as any other citizen.......financially and criminally liable for their actions.

"...the outcome could have been tragic."

What the $#@! do they think the outcome was?