Thread: LOL -- Pissing off liberals, I really don't mean to.

LOL -- Pissing off liberals, I really don't mean to.

The story is, I keep commenting on my girlfriend's sister's posts, on Facebook, and she keeps getting REALLY pissed off to the point that all she can do is just completely belittle my opinions and basically declare that my opinion is worth nothing to her. But the thing is, I really say nothing that absolutely requires the anger I get out of her. I try to keep the conversation decent and civil, but all she does is basically ignore what I actually say and point out things such as my paragraphs not being formed correctly or whatever. She's an English major and loves to use that prestigious accomplishment as her superiority blanket. She also likes to point out the fact that I have no job and that my "entire life is subsidized" and that I know nothing about the economy because of that. Just basically any and all things she can bring up to wiggle her way out of the actual argument, plenty of swear words included.

However, today I finally snapped. I noticed she had been taking it too far for too long and I finally attacked her attack at me. The topic was "CALL OUT TO THE GOP" and it featured some Alaskan Senator lady speaking about a battle for women's rights to choose for abortion. I commented on the post, discussing how the GOP doesn't account for every single conservative, and that the best way to solve this kind of issue is to leave it to the states to decide; as, centralizing the regulation on these kinds of issues causes more problems than they fix, and to make a federal law on it would, authoritatively, force many more people to abide by a law that they may not condone -- much more than it would if it were left to the states and local communities to handle. I also add that I would actually be in favor of choice in a more local setting, just because the people themselves would create a black market from it's criminalization and I recognize that it's best left in the hands of doctors who know what they are doing rather than some random guy with no medical knowledge from the street. Then, I also continue to say that I am opposed to any federal government regulation whatsoever, other than protecting states rights to decide on issues such as these. Finally, I state that I don't really want this to be an argument and that I'm just trying to point-out that there are other choices that are not commonly recognized as valid choices in the two-party system.

Her first reply was something along the lines of "Jesus F-ing Christ,______, learn to use a f-ing enter button and make some f-ing paragraphs!" yadda yadda yadda about a bunch of English information that should not even matter...AHA! a second reply to my actual post: "And if you think this is a social issue and should be left to the states, think again, because if abortion is illegal, then nobody will have a right to choose...or something along those lines." She added nothing substantial to the argument other than "if abortion is illegal, no one will have a choice", and I actually acknowledge that in my first post. This is all coming from a girl who claims to be an English major and she wears it high and proudly that she thinks she is smart because of that. I never normally say anything to belittle her, in fact this is the first time; this time I called her out by saying "Wow you're a total bitch! LOL" "I can't even properly discuss anything with you because any time I have an opinion that does not line-up with yours, I get bashed for it. Is that all you know how to do, is bash people for their opinions?" I reply again stating that "you cannot use the enter button to start a new paragraph, btw. It sends the reply as it stands." I also go on to say that "leaving a state is fairly easy, leaving an entire country is a completely different story. That's why this shouldn't be a federal issue." and that "democracy does not work well in centralized government." I provide an example by stating that "if 51% of a group wants to go rape a woman, the other 49% must comply. Does that make it right? That is what democracy is." She replies by stating that she didn't ask for an argument by posting that to her Facebook and that she wasn't, just a few seconds ago, bashing me. So I call her out again; "Bull$#@!,_______, you have consistently bashed me every single time for having a different opinion than you. If you don't want comments on your posts, disable the comments, but don't expect me to not reply when you post something that says "CALL OUT TO THE GOP" when I have an opinion on it and want to spread some information that I think may not be common knowledge." So, then I get some 'help' from one of her friends who butts-in and lets me know that "enter+shift" should do the trick for fixing paragraphs and he tells me to continue because "the conversation is getting good". So, I thank him for the information and then he disrespects my thanks and declares that he is on "her side". I reply with "somehow I knew that, but why? I would personally love a legitimate debate on this, where my views aren't just thrown in the garbage." And here I am now, posting this thread in the Ron Paul Forums.

Basically, my understanding is, the people my girlfriend's sister associates herself with, are die-hard liberals, so I'm expecting some heavy left-wing propaganda bombardment here shortly on how libertarian values don't work and all that. I may decide to post some of the stuff here if I feel I cannot personally argue against it. If anyone wants to lend a hand, it would be much appreciated, if not, sit back and enjoy what may be to come.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh facebook, I think you can use shift-enter to add a break.

Yeah, I didn't really know that myself, I'm not too handy with the keyboard. I know the letters and the numbers, that's about it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by revned View Post
    Yeah, I didn't really know that myself, I'm not too handy with the keyboard. I know the letters and the numbers, that's about it lol.
    Well, notice that I put "I think" in my statement. Every now and then I get a little help from their interface, but never when I need it. But if you need to do that to advance the conversation, now you can. I think.

With english majors you have to keep it simple: Subject, verb, direct object, indirect object. Beyond that, they lose the point of the sentence and start to break it down into a diagraming structure--which, to someone who has actually mastered the language, is a pointless exercise.
    Last edited by Isaac Bickerstaff; 04-07-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

Yeah, that's what I feel like I am getting with her. She just wants to use my posts as examples to point out what she knows about English. That's not what I'm trying to debate though and it's really frustrating to get the remarks I do from her, without her adding any substance to the actual argument. I could somewhat understand the point of view of someone who is angry and actually has something important to say, but with her, I get nothing.