Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ron Paul says he won't quit race

Ron Paul says he won't quit race

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics

More of the same... EXCEPT this little gem...

Paul also left open the door - at least a crack - to declare himself an independent presidential candidate. Asked if he had ruled it out, Paul said, "I have my hands full right now." He added: "I'm in the middle of a process and I want to find out how many delegates we have and whether there's going to be a brokered convention."
    Don't want this to turn into a he should/should not go for a third party run.

But if Ron goes, needless to say I go with him. Who else?
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    wouldnt he not be allowed to be on alot of ballots even if he did try to run third party ,because of sore loser laws which i think some states have,where you cant run independent if you lose in another parties primary?

Quote Originally Posted by robert9712000 View Post
    wouldnt he not be allowed to be on alot of ballots even if he did try to run third party ,because of sore loser laws which i think some states have,where you cant run independent if you lose in another parties primary?
    I think it's been determined that they don't apply to Presidential races? Or something... not sure.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

I'm not going to make an arguemnt for or against a third party run in this post.
    But IF he were to do it, he would have to make the decision SOON, like within the next month.
    The Libertarian Party will have their convention in the beginning of May. If they nominate Ron Paul, it would be the first time they ever broke into double digits in the general, and, based on all the polls we have seen, RP WOULD make it into the debates.
    If the LP nominates ANYONE ELSE, they will get the usual less than 1%.

If Ron Paul waits until AFTER the convention, the minor parties will have already nominated someone else. He will not be ABLE to go third party that late.
    Both the pro and con side to the third party debate need to understand this. The idea that he can go to tampa and then do a 3rd party as a plan B cannot happen.
    Last edited by Karsten; 04-06-2012 at 05:14 PM.

I'm with him whatever he decides to do.

Where is there to go?

I won't speculate or cry out for Ron Paul going 3rd party, but if he does, I am there.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Keep running,

after the convention, if he isn't the nominee...

RUN THIRD!
    "I am, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand

I am with him regardless whether he runs third party or not. He has my vote in November. Sorry Johnson, Ron Paul will be my choice for president of the USA.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Same here voting for Paul no matter what come November.

I like that LP-Ron Paul idea (if it flies with everyone involved). I wonder if the LP vote could specify their final nomination choice "conditional" on events happening after the convention?

Wouldn't that be the same as a last minute LP candidate withdrawl? What about replacing NOTA with NOBP?

If this is possible, winning >5% of the vote would be very helpful to the LP for the next election cycle. It would make their next ballot access drive a whole lot easier and less expensive. I'd like to see Gary Johnson VP and Ron Paul POTUS as their nomination.

Florida's GOP convention must still select Ron Paul as the Republican nominee (if they want any chance of beating Obama in his re-election bid).

Seeing TWO Ron Paul names choices on the November ballot would be a lot better than ONLY having a "write-in option of last resort", IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    I'm not going to make an arguemnt for or against a third party run in this post.
    But IF he were to do it, he would have to make the decision SOON, like within the next month.
    The Libertarian Party will have their convention in the beginning of May. If they nominate Ron Paul, it would be the first time they ever broke into double digits in the general, and, based on all the polls we have seen, RP WOULD make it into the debates.
    If the LP nominates ANYONE ELSE, they will get the usual less than 1%.

If Ron Paul waits until AFTER the convention, the minor parties will have already nominated someone else. He will not be ABLE to go third party that late.
    Both the pro and con side to the third party debate need to understand this. The idea that he can go to tampa and then do a 3rd party as a plan B cannot happen.

Something else to consider. He might be able to get both the Libertarian and the Constitution as well as the Independent and the Reformed parties nominations. He might also get the endorsement of Nader and Kucinich as well as a host of conservative people. This could turn out to be a real revolution!!!!
    edit. No matter what he does or doesn't do I for one am going to write his name on my ballot
    Last edited by Captain Shays; 04-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Of course i'd support him but for reasons which i've stated over and over I think it would be fatally detrimental to the movement to do it.

I also think based on this quote he certainly isn't saying anything differently than he has been for the last 5 months. I think the odds of him doing it are 100 to 1.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post
    I like that LP-Ron Paul idea (if it flies with everyone involved). I wonder if the LP vote could specify their final nomination choice "conditional" on events happening after the convention?

Wouldn't that be the same as a last minute LP candidate withdrawl? What about replacing NOTA with NOBP?

If this is possible, winning >5% of the vote would be very helpful to the LP for the next election cycle. It would make their next ballot access drive a whole lot easier and less expensive. I'd like to see Gary Johnson VP and Ron Paul POTUS as their nomination.

Florida's GOP convention must still select Ron Paul as the Republican nominee (if they want any chance of beating Obama in his re-election bid).

Seeing TWO Ron Paul names choices on the November ballot would be a lot better than ONLY having a "write-in option of last resort", IMO.
    Read the article I just posted called "An open letter to Ron Paul" best arguments for a third party bid (LP) that I've heard yet, and I've been very opposed to it.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Shays View Post
    Something else to consider. He might be able to get both the Libertarian and the Constitution as well as the Independent and the Reformed parties nominations. He might also get the endorsement of Nader and Kucinich as well as a host of conservative people. This could turn out to be a real revolution!!!!
    edit. No matter what he does or doesn't do I for one am going to write his name on my ballot
    Indeed. Can you imagine 5 spots with Ron's name. LMAO. That would be the ultimate in your face to the neocons.
    —Charles Mackay

-Anonymous

No One But Paul!! Ron Paul this go around.

I think it is important to keep in mind that we are doing much more than electing Ron Paul president. As fantastic as that is, what we are really talking about here is fundamental paradigm revolution in the GOP. Personally, I want a lot more than Ron Paul as president; I want freedom minded people in congress, the senate, supreme court, governors, state houses, county court houses, the RNC, the state Republican parties, the whole enchilada.

The reason we are encountering so much resistance at every turn is that we are so close to this. The GOP went through similar machinations in 1976 - 1980 trying to keep the pro-lifers down and out. My advice is stay the course and don't let up!

Also, come to conventions prepared; RONR, snacks, water, adult diapers, camera, etc.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The quote in the op is the most open ive heard him to a third party run.

Do it Ron! You're in a class by yourself and America needs you!

Quote Originally Posted by robert9712000 View Post
    could not apply to president, as no one votes for president but for electors. it is possible to split your ticket of electors by using a paper ballot.
    and if any state would not allow Ron on the ballot there would be a slate of unpledged electors which everyone would know its for Paul

If Paul runs third party, then we all but guarantee Obama his second term. That means that Paul will have officially given up trying to salvage what was left of the Republican party, which is good. I'd love to stick it to those $#@!s. Count me in.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I'm with him whatever he decides to do.

Me too. No one but Paul.

What worries me about a 3rd party run is nobody voting. It's going to kill the movement if he runs 3rd party and he ends up with only 5% of the vote. I really don't think he's going to do that though.

I read last week that Ron Paul is on all 50 state ballots (the first candidate to do so I might add). Does anyone have insight as to how he is listed on the ballots? Would he be listed as a Republican? If he chooses to run 3rd party, would this have any impact as to the fact he will already be on all 50 ballots? I'm very curious as to how this would affect his running as a Republican vs Independent. I assume the fact he is on all 50 state ballots is common knowledge. If not, I wil start finding sources.

If Ron Paul runs as a Republican or a Libertarian, he has my full support.

Otherwise, I'll vote for Gary Johnson.

I'm for damned sure not voting for Romney.

Where ever the good Dr. goes, I'm there!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That quote could be a huge invitation to the constitution and libertarian parties to nominate him. He basically said hes busy working on the republican nomination but IF theres no chance of a brokered convention he might might might give it more thought.

Ron is a one of a kind. I know people around here like Rand and rightfully so, but Rand is playing the game (again, I'm fine with it). Ron is taking the political game head on and saying it needs to change. A 3rd party run by Ron could unite all (most) the disgruntled voters and angry 3rd parties. Its time to make a statement that business as usual won't work. America needs Ron Paul. This is our only chance for real change.

Email the CP and LP or get involved and help draft Ron Paul. This needs to happen or itll be business as usual and nothing will ever really change.

Ron Paul says he won't quit race
    Duh.

Would I vote for him if he ran as a third party candidate or an Independent? Sure.

Would I sacrifice time and money to make phone calls, knock on doors, work the polls, etc? No.

The most important part of a 3rd party run would be gaining entrance to the debates. He'd paint both Obama and Romney as being part of the status quo in front of millions of people! Many times more people will be awakened to the revolution because of his run, no matter if he wins or not.
    Last edited by Sentinelrv; 04-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinelrv View Post
    The most important part of a 3rd party run would be gaining entrance to the debates. He'd paint both Obama and Romney as being part of the status quo in front of millions of people! Many times more people will be awakened to the revolution because of his run, no matter if he wins or not.
    CPD rules state that a candidate must be on enough ballots to win the electoral college and have a support level of 15% in five polls at the time the debate invitations are made. As of today neither the LP, CP or AE are on the ballot in 50 states (source, source) which would greatly hamper Paul's ability to get a 15% support level.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone717 View Post
    CPD rules state that a candidate must be on enough ballots to win the electoral college and have a support level of 15% in five polls at the time the debate invitations are made. As of today neither the LP, CP or AE are on the ballot in 50 states (source, source) which would greatly hamper Paul's ability to get a 15% support level.
    If he did decide on a run, wouldn't the RP grassroots be able to help the LP get on more state ballots? They probably just don't have the organization we do.
    Last edited by Sentinelrv; 04-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast