Thread: Keystone XL Pipeline

Keystone XL Pipeline

I am very interested in the outcome of this pipeline...and am curious to know what Ronnie P would say?

Generally Nebraskans oppose building the pipeline over the Ogallala Aquifer because the risk of contamination is too great...and according to the constitution, the individuals of Nebraska should have the final say in whether or not the US government can make the final decision. I know that their is national interest for energy security and jobs....but should the government be able to make that call since it violates the liberty of Nebraskans?

I do not want to hear lobbying for or against the pipeline....as the risk of contamination is really unknown. I am interested in liberty vs national interests and the principle of the issue. I personally think Nebraska should have the final say as they are the sole stakeholders concerning their health and water availability. WWRPD? What would ron paul do?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm pretty sure he would be for the private property rights of those who own the land.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

I agree. He would probably say, leave it to the private sector. However, I'm not sure of the details of this particular deal. I wouldn't be surprised if the government at some level (like the states involved) was heavily involved in pushing for this, potentially subsidizing it, etc. I don't know that, however.

Obama Administration has rejected the Keystone XL pipeline today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1213136.html
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

I just watched a 40min video about the Keystone XL pipeline, particularly the Nebraska land owners' objections to it, and how TransCanada has been threatening them if they do not sign over to allow their property to be used for the pipeline. This is a perfect scenario to help environmental-minded individuals warm up to Ron Paul's theory that strong property rights can actually enforce stronger environmental protection. The property owners do not want this pipeline on their property and TransCanada is threatening eminent domain. I believe Obama is for the pipeline but has delayed the decision until after the election to do anything.

By the way, arguing that trampling a few land owner's property rights for the "good of the many" (aka. more jobs, cheaper oil for Americans) is the right thing to do in this situation has the moral equivalence of all the entitlement programs that many Liberals espouse. It's situations like this why I believe Ron Paul is so right, and why you have to be philosophically consistent on all these issues.

I hope Ron does comment on this issue. Haven't found too much from him about this. Rand did make news because he opposed safety inspections for the pipeline.

All in all...the pipeline is bad news. It's corporate welfare in which the US government will practice eminent domain to take property from private land owners in the US to help NW Canadian oil companies sell oil to the highpaying European market (through the Gulf of Mexico)...with token branch pipelines to the US market. It's a joke. Plus the shale oil drilling is VERY bad on the environment...they will seriously destroy their groundwater in Canada which should be viewed almost as a property rights issue (perhaps on a larger scale). The thing with oil pipelines is that they ALWAYS leak...it's not a matter of if but how often because the oil eats through the pipeline. The pipelines in Alaska are leaking left and right. Given this pipeline will be constructed across the heart of the US where groundwater issues are such a hot topic and we don't have permafrost covering to protect the groundwater...the oil leaks will cause major contamination to Middle America's well-water. This is the 'Trans-Texas Corridor' all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by d991 View Post
    By the way, arguing that trampling a few land owner's property rights for the "good of the many" (aka. more jobs, cheaper oil for Americans) is the right thing to do in this situation has the moral equivalence of all the entitlement programs that many Liberals espouse.
    Private Property rights and eminent domain issue. The owners of the land have the rights, and recent uses of Eminent Domain is just a power grab by the Corporatocracy.

As for cheaper Oil and gasoline for Americans, that is a load of crap. It's about getting oil to Houston so the Oil Oligopoly can export oil and gasoline out of the US.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.