Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIT researchers predict ‘global economic collapse’ by 2030. Thoughts on this?

Question MIT researchers predict ‘global economic collapse’ by 2030. Thoughts on this?

http://rt.com/usa/news/global-collapse-mit-predict-376/

Thoughts on the article? Would you put it at 20 years? Flaws with the conclusion/confirmations of the conclusion?
    Article is short and I'm trying to learn so I'd love as much detail about it as anyone would care to give so I can try to expand my knowledge.

Thanks
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

MIT researchers predict ‘global economic collapse’ by 2030

A new study from researchers at MIT and produced for an international think tank, says that the world could suffer from "global economic collapse" and "precipitous population decline" if people continue to consume the world's resources at the current pace.

Smithsonian Magazine writes that Australian physicist Graham Turner says "the world is on track for disaster" and that current evidence coincides with a famous, and in some quarters, infamous, academic report from 1972 entitled, "The Limits to Growth."

Produced for a group called The Club of Rome, the study's researchers created a computing model to forecast different scenarios based on the current models of population growth and global resource consumption. The study also took into account different levels of agricultural productivity, birth control and environmental protection efforts. Twelve million copies of the report were produced and distributed in 37 different languages.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...190352944.html
    I highly doubtful we'll make it till 2030 without a major collapse. I see it more likely happening in the next 5-7 years.

The Club of Rome and the Malthusians have been utterly consistent.

They are never right - never have been for 250 years.

They have no ability to measure human ingenuity and human problem solving.

They only focus on human problems - which are never ending, therefore, they argue humans will be ended by them... pretty soon now, like almost tomorrow.

Further, define what is, for you (or him) what a "global economic collapse" means. No trade? No money? ...or merely no ability of government to fund its obligations....

There will always be problems, and humans will solve them, thereby creating brand new problems that other humans will solve .... until the day the Sun explodes....and who knows...maybe we'll have solved that problem too by then.

If the Mayans prove to be nothing more than a bunch of liars, don’t be too upset. Researchers at MIT predict that Earth will experience a whole other Armageddon-like scenario by 2030, when they expect a global economic collapse to occur.
    A global economic collapse is a "Welcome to Liberty" event. The amount of wealth doesn't change. The only thing that changes is who is wealthy. Welcome it... embrace it... love it. The Golden Rule: "He who owns the gold makes the rules." Own some gold, some land, some heirloom seeds, and some ammo. Become wealthy.. bring the house down. End The Fed.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

Researchers at the world-renowned Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) say that, at this rate, the planet is likely to be plagued by a “global economic collapse” in fewer than two decades if humans continue to gobble up natural resources at the same rate they are today.
    Without reading the actual study, I'm going to call it garbage assuming this sentence reflects it accurately.

As available resources decline and the price of those resources begins to rise, alternatives will become economically viable and R&D investment will grow until new, more efficient technologies are developed.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by enoch150 View Post
    Without reading the actual study, I'm going to call it garbage assuming this sentence reflects it accurately.

As available resources decline and the price of those resources begins to rise, alternatives will become economically viable and R&D investment will grow until new, more efficient technologies are developed.
    No, you are wrong. Where is my whale blubber, my lamps are running dark!

I think they are much too optimistic and Mr. Martenson below is closer to the mark:

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I predict a global economic collapse by 2013. Let's see who is closer.
    I am the spoon.

Assuming you have prepared for economic collapse by obtaining land, food/water supplies, means of food production, etc.....

What percentage of your savings would you place in precious metals? How about other commodities that will be valuable?
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    I think they are much too optimistic and Mr. Martenson below is closer to the mark:

I'm about a half hour into this video right now and a light bulb just came on (sorry, I'm slow): This explains completely Agenda 21.

^ I highly recommend watching the whole video. Way better use of your time than anything that might be on TV right now.

There will be a global financial Ponzi collapse for sure and it's not going to take 18 years to get to the main show, from the US' perspective.

Al-qaeda predicted by 2020.

WARNING! The Club of Rome is affiliated with The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), Richard Haas, and other eugenicists. They plan to implement global governance by fear-mongering, whereby people gradually give up their liberties in exchange for security from perceived threats. In “The First Global Revolution” (1991) published by the Club of Rome, it states that ,“In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill…. All these dangers are caused by human intervention… The real enemy, then, is humanity itself.” These monsters plan to reduce the world's population by 80%, then enslave the remaining sheeple.

Nice one! An hour well spent.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Try more like within 3 years. The banking system here and in Europe is doing everything possible to prop up their failing big government systems that leech off the free markets.

Add on top of this Barack and our govt is lying about real unemployment, real inflation and everything else.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by dronestriker View Post
    WARNING! The Club of Rome is affiliated with The Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), Richard Haas, and other eugenicists. They plan to implement global governance by fear-mongering, whereby people gradually give up their liberties in exchange for security from perceived threats. In “The First Global Revolution” (1991) published by the Club of Rome, it states that ,“In searching for a new enemy to unite us, we came up with the idea that pollution, the threat of global warming, water shortages, famine and the like would fit the bill…. All these dangers are caused by human intervention… The real enemy, then, is humanity itself.” These monsters plan to reduce the world's population by 80%, then enslave the remaining sheeple.
    THIS
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

"The future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."

Bottom line? At the end of the day when humanity hits the precipice it's all gonna come down to who has the bigger balls and more guns.

I would give us ten years max. I read that study at the school newspaper, and they are being very generous with the numbers.
    "Corruptisima republica plurimae leges."

---- Tacitus

I love von Mises and Emma Watson

Definitely +1.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

I'm thinking we will be quite lucky if we can holdout until 2016-2017. I know we can still kick the can for several more years, but I can't imagine for 5 more years. Something is gonna give and send this economy spiraling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Travlyr View Post
    A global economic collapse is a "Welcome to Liberty" event. The amount of wealth doesn't change. The only thing that changes is who is wealthy. Welcome it... embrace it... love it. The Golden Rule: "He who owns the gold makes the rules." Own some gold, some land, some heirloom seeds, and some ammo. Become wealthy.. bring the house down. End The Fed.
    I'm on board with that.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Some of the people on the You Tube video seem to think that Martenson is a lying corporate owned puppet and he is trying to convince people to accept the idea of $8 a gallon gas.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZzzImAsleep View Post
    Some of the people on the You Tube video seem to think that Martenson is a lying corporate owned puppet and he is trying to convince people to accept the idea of $8 a gallon gas.
    I wonder that too. However, Chris Martenson was quite convincing with his analogy of bringing the hands together with the magnets. Linear thinking is natural. Exponential thinking is much more challenging. Time will tell.

One thing I was thinking about when he was talking about exponential change was how technology has changed.....for centuries there were very few changes in technology and then just in the last couple hundred years it has been taking off, especially in the last hundred and later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_technology

Just far enough to not worry about the details and just near enough to take vague, preventative action.

I predict the collapse is inevitable due to current, counterfeiting, policies. We can choose to transition to a more balanced economic model (Austrian) or we can wait and have the choice forced upon us. We choose a fundamental realignment or we may as well start a pool as to what year the change will be forced upon us.
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo View Post

I highly doubtful we'll make it till 2030 without a major collapse. I see it more likely happening in the next 5-7 years.
    I agree. My first thought at the thread title was "We have that long?" I'd plus rep ya if I could.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

If they hate the American people having kids why do they give us a tax break for having larger families?
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

Given the historical frequency of recessions we will probably have several of varying severity over the next 20 years. Will they rise to the level of "severe", nobody can say for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast