Thread: 99 Facts About Mitt Romney

99 Facts About Mitt Romney

Link to list

Source of items is not the landing page link takes you too but all links I saw were cited. Sources may be of varying quality, check the individual list item.
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1. As head of the investment company Bain Capital, Mitt Romney laid off thousands of workers.
    [CBS News, 01/28/2008]
    So? That's what happens in a capitalist economy. Companies that need restructuring shed workers to cut expenses and stay in business.

2. Mitt Romney's advice on the foreclosure crisis: "Don't try and stop the foreclosure process."
    [Mother Jones, 10/18/2011]
    Hasnt Ron said this as well? We need to liquidate debt and the stock of houses in foreclosure in order for there to be recovery.

4. Mitt Romney set up shell companies in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda to avoid U.S. taxes.
    [Los Angeles Times, 12/19/2007]
    The US has the highest corporate tax rate in the developed world. I'd do (and have done) the same.

5. Mitt Romney calls Obama's payroll tax cut that would save middle class/lower income families $1,500 a year "temporary little band aids."
    [Yahoo! News, 10/18/2011]
    I agree with him and I believe Ron Paul does as well. This payroll tax cut does nothing to stimulate hiring, it's temporary nature just causes more uncertainty and $1500 per family a year isn't going to do much to lift millions out of debt.

7. As governor, Mitt Romney made it more expensive to use an ice skating rink, register a boat, take the bar exam, and transport hazardous waste.
    [Associated Press, The Boston Globe, 08/28/2007]
    So? People who use skating rinks should pay for its costs...

13. Mitt Romney has proposed tax cuts for the rich and corporations that would cost $7.8 trillion over 10 years.
    [ThinkProgress, 09/7/2011]
    This assumes the money belonged to the government in the first place. No wonder, it's from "Think""Progress"

16. Mitt Romney's top economic adviser Greg Mankiw said the "offshoring" of American jobs was a good thing.
    [Washington Post, 02/11/2004]
    Ron even said this is true. If a Chinese computer costs an American $100 and an American computer costs $200, the American should buy the Chinese one and have $100 extra dollars to grow his business or buy food for his family.

20. Mitt Romney admits he couldn't reduce Massachusetts' multi-billion dollar budget deficit without new revenue.
    [The Boston Globe, 04/6/2003]
    Well if you have a Democrat controlled legislature and hundreds of mandates from the federal government, there's not much you can do to cut spending.

22. Mitt Romney, who lambasts the "failures" of government-backed mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, profits from investments in the firms.
    [ThinkProgress, 09/20/2011]
    He's right about the failures of GSE's (although who knows how sincere he is about believing it) and his investments have been in a blind trust since before he took office in Massachusetts.

23. Mitt Romney: "Corporations are people, my friend."
    [ThinkProgress, 08/11/2011]
    Corporations are made up of people, since when do people lose their rights when they act together? Oh and corporates do have legal personhood. So he's right, they legally are "people".

25. Mitt Romney supports privatizing Social Security.
    [ThinkProgress, 09/8/2011]
    I agree, so does Ron Paul. So does anyone with half a brain. I can invest my retirement fund much better than a one size fits all government program. Major stock indexes have outperformed SS returns for the past 5 decades.

28. Mitt Romney said he wants to "get the federal government out of education."
    [ThinkProgress, 09/23/2011]
    The federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in education in the first place.

29. As governor, Mitt Romney vetoed a minimum wage increase to $8 an hour.
    [The Boston Globe, 08/1/2006]
    Good. The minimum wage is an affront to liberty and bad economic policy.
    Last edited by eduardo89; 04-05-2012 at 05:03 PM.