Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA-Good neighbor calls cops to report burglary. Cops show up and shoot her dog.

Exclamation CA-Good neighbor calls cops to report burglary. Cops show up and shoot her dog.

Ugh, fixing to lose my voice here.

San Bernardino woman speaks out after police shoot her dog

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ire&id=8600965

Thursday, March 29, 2012

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A San Bernardino woman is speaking out after police officers shot her dog. It was her own 911 call that led to the shooting.

As Rosemary Cuevas cleans up her yard - the spot where her dog was shot by police - she still doesn't know what to think. Her 3-year-old Dalmatian mix Julio is alive, but she frets knowing it happened because of her own phone call to police.

"I haven't been right in my head. I haven't been able to sleep," she said.

It all happened outside her house on Stoddard Avenue near 10th Street. Cuevas said she saw burglars trying to steal wiring from the vacant home behind her on Wednesday at about 7 p.m. She called 911 and told police, but she didn't even know officers had arrived until she heard gunfire.

She said police told her that when they arrived, they tried to go through her backyard to get to the burglary-in-progress. They say they shook the fence to alert any dogs and heard nothing.

But when the officer jumped into the yard, he saw a dog charging at him. In a statement, police said, "The officer felt he was in danger of great bodily injury and fired one time at the dog. The dog was transported to a nearby animal hospital, and was later released to the owner."

Police never caught the burglars.

Cuevas said she understands that the officer felt threatened, but she questioned why they didn't let her know first that they needed to enter her yard.

"If they would have just called me, I would have helped them out," she said.

Cuevas said a police officer stopped by on Thursday to give her instructions on how to seek reimbursement from the city. But she's still angry at what happened to her dog.

"I respect them, I've always respected them, and I know we all do mistakes, but just make my little Julio better," she said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Again? I swear this is like the FIFTH very obscure dog killing by cops I've seen you post (I think they have been mostly you)

I guess they are trying to just overall assert themselves? When I see stuff like this, I wonder...When the cops were federalized where they told to amp it up? Do things out the box? I have never heard of cops killing dogs this easily until recently.

Pssh. Damn mundanes, leaving their dogs in fenced yards where they can easily get in the way of police bullets. Good thing the lady learned her lesson.

Now the cops need to start using hollow-point rounds (at tax payer expense, of course). Much safer. /grim sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Police never caught the burglars.
    They probably left when they heard THE $#@!ING GUN GO OFF...
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Again? I swear this is like the FIFTH very obscure dog killing by cops I've seen you post (I think they have been mostly you)

I guess they are trying to just overall assert themselves? When I see stuff like this, I wonder...When the cops were federalized where they told to amp it up? Do things out the box? I have never heard of cops killing dogs this easily until recently.
    Yes, it's mostly me although other folks post some as well.

I run a search term each day through the news "Police Shoot Family Dog".

I usually get at least one a day. I don't post ones where the dog is clearly aggressive, on the loose or has visibly attacked other animals or people.

The reason is simple, and why people are getting shot and tased on a regular basis as well.

Three words: Circular Force Continuum.

That is the training that is being put in place at almost every level of policing across the country. It is being put into place with a combined effort between fed training and legal departments in towns and cities all across the country.

Basically what the CFC means is that a cop can use whatever force is available to him, to cease any threat, assure officer safety and maintain control of the scene. Twenty years ago, most cops worked under a "vertical" force matrix, meaning that one level force above what was being displayed by an unruly suspect could be deployed.

That has all changed. A cop can technically blow you away, and have legal and civil immunity, just because you scuffled with him, by claiming that the officer's safety was in danger.

Couple that with the feds lavishing billions and billions of dollars in high tech military weapons, training and gadgets, that of course will be used if they are there, and you have a dangerous combination, because that training is not showing that we are the public to be served, but as enemy hostiles to be "neutralized".

Having said all that, dogs are easier targets than humans, for now anyway.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-30-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    wow, you could be the next "Amazing Kreskin".

What the hell is up with police shooting dogs?? This isn't an isolated thing. I just keep hearing all these stories of police shooting dogs for no reason.

LibForestPaul

HA HA...
    sorry, but this one gives me a chuckle.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    HA HA...
    sorry, but this one gives me a chuckle.
    Gallows humor, or did I miss something?

For some reason...

For some reason I am beginning to think Anti-Fed is on to something. I've been reading anti-fed's stuff I have become increasingly pro-gun for sovereigns and increasingly anti-gun for the police. I think his make you sick to your stomach until you agree that the police suck method is working. We should forward this stuff and make the world sick to their stomach.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

Elementary, my dear Watson.

I'm 99% sure that if a dog came running towards me I would bend down and talk sweetly to it and everything would be alright. Police are just trained to shoot at every conceivable "threat."
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    For some reason I am beginning to think Anti-Fed is on to something. I've been reading anti-fed's stuff I have become increasingly pro-gun for sovereigns and increasingly anti-gun for the police. I think his make you sick to your stomach until you agree that the police suck method is working. We should forward this stuff and make the world sick to their stomach.
    You are absolutely right, AF makes me sick! Pass it on!

TMike
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
    What the hell is up with police shooting dogs?? This isn't an isolated thing. I just keep hearing all these stories of police shooting dogs for no reason.
    Those dogs being there imply that the area in which the dog resides, are off limits.

That notion of privacy drives the state a little batty. So they enjoy training people to shoot them.

I can't fault the cop for shooting something that could hurt him given the situation, but it's still crap.
    If she hadn't called them there, and they were in her yard and then the dog attacked them and they shot it, it would be a worse case to me. Still not good though.

There should be something that requires for governments to compensate people when they do these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Grey View Post
    Those dogs being there imply that the area in which the dog resides, are off limits.
    Not to the blue man group.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Grey View Post
    There should be something that requires for governments to compensate people when they do these things.
    At least in this case there is that.

Cuevas said a police officer stopped by on Thursday to give her instructions on how to seek reimbursement from the city.
    This does not happen all the time. I remember one case in which the police conducted a raid on the wrong address. They destroyed the owners front door. While he was trying to seek compensation for the door replacement he had placed the splintered door to the side of his house. This got him an additional fine from the Code Enforcement Division for having the refuse in his yard.

As to this lady....

"I haven't been right in my head........she said.
    I'd say she hasn't. And is unlikely to change that particular symptom to the overall illness.

"I respect them, I've always respected them, and I know we all do mistakes, .....she said.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Only the fifth?

Welcome to the forums!

Time to go down a rabbit hole.
    Last edited by Yieu; 03-31-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote. ;)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LibForestPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Gallows humor, or did I miss something?
    I pictured a Monty Python skit when I read story.
    Hard to believe this is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    I pictured a Monty Python skit when I read story.
    Hard to believe this is reality.
    Might I suggest:

Quote Originally Posted by Jingles View Post
    Its the War on Dogs. Somehow, cats have been able to corrupt the government.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Its the War on Dogs. Somehow, cats have been able to corrupt the government.
    It's those fat cat bankers!

"Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

Being a parent, my mind always runs first to 'what if my kid had been out there??'. Ya it was probably late at night (i cant recall if the story posts the time) but what if her child, her husband, herself, etc had been out there to check things out, make sure their own yard was okay, etc and BLAM? Ya they 'shook the fence' first but what is that going to do? I get paralyzed by fear and if I had been out in my yard peeking over my own fence to make sure all was well and someone shook my gate, I would probably be frozen to the spot and worrying it was someone trying to break into MY yard, and not say a word - and the next thing I know, the police rush in, my dog charges, and BLAM. No thanks!

We have lots of silly police stories going on up in the Can, A-F. If you get bored one day you should check them out. Lately an over 80 year old woman from Cranbrook BC who failed to give a breathalyser outside her home (unable to blow hard enough due to scarred lungs) and they kept her out there in the cold for about 2 hours (or more) trying to get her to do it, and when they finally freed her she went to the hospital asking for a blood test to prove she had not been drinking, which came back ZERO % I might add, and yet she still faces thousands in fines and trouble for 'resisting a breathalyser test' and so on. It's totally unreal. That would be our federal police as well - the RCMP. No, not a dog story, but I wouldnt be surprised if you found some of those as well. BC and Alberta also have laws now that even if you are under the .08, but above .05, the police can immediately take your license and your car for 3 days. Then you have to pay to get it all back. So lots of fun with that as well. The federal level here is .08 as well but provinces have slowly been adopting this .05 to .08 thing as a bylaw. The old lady had zero percent though, once she finally got a blood test and still she is going through the courts.

That could have tipped them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
    It's those fat cat bankers!
    Lol!
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by kezt777 View Post

We have lots of silly police stories going on up in the Can, A-F. If you get bored one day you should check them out. Lately an over 80 year old woman from Cranbrook BC who failed to give a breathalyser outside her home (unable to blow hard enough due to scarred lungs) and they kept her out there in the cold for about 2 hours (or more) trying to get her to do it, and when they finally freed her she went to the hospital asking for a blood test to prove she had not been drinking, which came back ZERO % I might add, and yet she still faces thousands in fines and trouble for 'resisting a breathalyser test' and so on. It's totally unreal. That would be our federal police as well - the RCMP. No, not a dog story, but I wouldnt be surprised if you found some of those as well. BC and Alberta also have laws now that even if you are under the .08, but above .05, the police can immediately take your license and your car for 3 days. Then you have to pay to get it all back. So lots of fun with that as well. The federal level here is .08 as well but provinces have slowly been adopting this .05 to .08 thing as a bylaw. The old lady had zero percent though, once she finally got a blood test and still she is going through the courts.
    Thank the people of M.A.D.D. of Canada for that. What started out as an organization to stop recidivist offenders became a full blown prohibitionist one. As the organization grew it was taken over by the prohibitionist and the founder, Candy Lightner, was forced out. She has since stated that MADD "has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned … I didn’t start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Thank the people of M.A.D.D. of Canada for that. What started out as an organization to stop recidivist offenders became a full blown prohibitionist one. As the organization grew it was taken over by the prohibitionist and the founder, Candy Lightner, was forced out. She has since stated that MADD "has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned … I didn’t start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving"
    The leader of my city's chapter of MADD is an interesting piece of work. I have known the family for over 20 years now and her own son is an addict (prescription drugs) and her grandchildren came to my daycare and he would pick them up while obviously under the influence of something, and we had to call her to come and get the kids herself a few times because we were worried (A horrible situation to be put in, trust me!)... and yet she is on the radio and tv all the time drumming up MADD. I always think 'fix your own friggin back yard first, okay?'. She petitioned for her son and his family to get a habitat for humanity house and THEY DID. I was physically ill. she was on tv crying in thanks for this wonderful gift, because her son was injured and unable to work. BULLTWEET. Omg I was so angry I took the chance of emailing H4H myself and telling them what I thought about their most recent inductees and that they should be very careful in the future. this dude is married to one of my long time friends and none of us have been friends with her properly for more than a decade because of her pathetic excuse for a hubby. meanwhile, his MADD momma is dictating to others what they should do with their lives and it makes me sick. And guess what she bought her sweet little boy last year? A new SUV. to drive. while he is half corked on who-knows-what, and his 5 kids are in the car with him. Oh great.

I should add that I dont drive, but my bf does and he very rarely drinks. He doesnt think anyone should drive after consuming ANY alcohol but he and his brothers all learned the hard way with terrible accidents in the past. But he does not support what is happening. He wants things tougher on actual drunk drivers, esp repeat offenders, like taking away their license for longer, etc. Driving is not a 'right', but people do have the right not to be forced to stop on their way to wherever in order to be forced through a Check Stop and to answer personal questions from the police (such as 'where are you going? where did you drive to this point from?' etc) when they did not do anything to arise police suspicions (erratic driving, etc) - they only ended up on the road where the check stop was by chance. In the past 5 years he has driven after drinking maybe 3 times, and even then it was one drink and he did not drive for a few hours afterward. and yet we have been stuck in check stops. And now there is the removal of your vehicle and license when you are NOT over the legal limit. I dont know whats going to happen next.
    Last edited by kezt777; 04-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kezt777 View Post
    I dont know whats going to happen next.
    Zero-tolerence. Mandatory ignition sobriety devices.

Why can't the officers be charged with trespassing? If this crap happened to my dog. I would press charges. I would also have an irate video on every local news with the sentence "The dog was in MY fenced back yard, so the cop jumped the fence and when my dog did what every dog does, the BASTARD COP shot my dog and I'm pressing charges for trespassing."
    I would also say Its not smart for ANYONE unannounced to go snooping around someones back yard with a gun drawn. Who's to say lady doesn't come out her back door with a shot gun drawn and get shot her self.

Quote Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
    Who's to say lady doesn't come out her back door with a shot gun drawn and get shot her self.
    "In today's news Police report an elaborate attempt by a lone gunman to kill local law enforcement officers. The Police Information Officer reports that this lone gunman called in a false report of a burglary in order to draw police officers into an ambush. And now the local weather......"

Those damn sovereigns strike again.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    "In today's news Police report an elaborate attempt by a lone gunman to kill local law enforcement officers. The Police Information Officer reports that this lone gunman called in a false report of a burglary in order to draw police officers into an ambush. And now the local weather......"

Completely serious question.
    Do we need police?
    What if everyone in the nation was armed? I know an armed society is a polite society but am I stretching it a bit too far?
    I understand the many implications of this but was curious on the thoughts of others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast