Thread: Media Coverage Breakdown - The Blackout in Numbers

Media Coverage Breakdown - The Blackout in Numbers

I was wondering if there exists a breakdown of Ron Paul coverage by each news outlet and over the course of this election season. I've seen breakdowns where it will show how many times FOX covered a story compared to CNN, etc. I was wondering if anyone has done that for the candidates on all the outlets? For example, in October CNN/MSNBC/FOX/ABC/NBC/CBS ran Romney-focused stories X amount of times, Gingrich stories X amount of times, and Paul stories X amount of times. Maybe factor in negative and positive stories, stories that focused on multiple candidates but not all, and major events like the Iowa Straw Poll and Super Tuesday. If something like this hasn't already been done, does someone know of a tool that could help me collect and compile the data? Showing how little coverage Paul gets compared to the others can help open the eyes of the 'they don't cover him because he can't win' crowd, especially if we can point out that the blackout was going on long before the first votes. Thanks.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Blackout also in Europe

In case you are interested: This media blackout also happens in Europe. Lots of articles focus on the Romney Santorum battle and stress out Gingrich would be LAST, but never mention who's third. Or they urge Santorum or Gingrich to drop out, but don't demand Ron Paul to do that ... It would require to print his name. The average political informed newspaper consuming European knows 3 persons in this race, but normally should not know Ron Paul.

No coverage on these big auditoriums he has, his movement, delegate strategy or anything. One could say: for European media he doesn't exist. They fear him as they want America to stay in the police man role. They know their power would be in question if America would redefine itself. It's much like 1989. I come from East Germany and can well remember how East German elites were afraid of the changes in Moscow and Gorbachev new Glasnost ( transparecy) politics. East German (communist) leaders knew that their power was guaranteed by Moscow. And this is how it came...

Europes leaders today know their power depends on Washington. They know, Ron Paul would be their death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    In case you are interested: This media blackout also happens in Europe. Lots of articles focus on the Romney Santorum battle and stress out Gingrich would be LAST, but never mention who's third. Or they urge Santorum or Gingrich to drop out, but don't demand Ron Paul to do that ... It would require to print his name. The average political informed newspaper consuming European knows 3 persons in this race, but normally should not know Ron Paul.

No coverage on these big auditoriums he has, his movement, delegate strategy or anything. One could say: for European media he doesn't exist. They fear him as they want America to stay in the police man role. They know their power would be in question if America would redefine itself. It's much like 1989. I come from East Germany and can well remember how East German elites were afraid of the changes in Moscow and Gorbachev new Glasnost ( transparecy) politics. East German (communist) leaders knew that their power was guaranteed by Moscow. And this is how it came...

Europes leaders today know their power depends on Washington. They know, Ron Paul would be their death.
    You make some interesting statements. They would be worthy of their own thread. Have you considering posting these ideas to Facebook (with links as proof of a European blackout) and tweeting them?

Good tweet? "European leaders fear #RonPaul as Eastern European leaders feared #Gorbachev"
    "WE..as a group NOW have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it." Ron Paul

The black out of RP began in 2007, and gets worse with time.

Sorry OP,
    I know of no website that is accurately compiling the type of information you have requested.
    Let them keep thinking Ron Paul supporters are just a little army. Every military strategy manual in the world has examples of the bad things that happen to arrogant commanders of massive armies that underestimate the enemy. They all lose. We will win because the human heart, despite its detractors, is meant for truth and freedom.

I was hoping to eventually have compiled data like this starting way back in 2007 as azxd mentioned via the RonPaulTimeline project I started. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up with it myself and nobody else seemed to want to contribute or help, so it fell behind and has been a bit abandoned since then. However, there is still a lot of interesting information from the 2007 primary race and the blackout there.
    Last edited by Thanehand; 04-16-2012 at 04:34 PM.

A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on whats for dinner. A republic is two wolves and a lamb voting on whats for dinner but with laws that prohibit the wolves from eating the lamb ... and the lamb is armed.

some info on candidates' media exposure in 2008 and 2011

You can glean some information from the "Pew Research Center's Project for Excellence in Journalism" (journalism.org).

This article and charts from 2008 gives some "exposure" statistics for other candidates, and mentions Paul only once in a chart at the bottom of the page. It tells us that statistically Ron Paul was portrayed as a "Main Newsmaker" 0% of the time. The media treated him as a "Significant Presence" in that election 0% of the time. The total number of "Campaign Stories" about Ron Paul equals 0%.
    PEJ CAMPAIGN COVERAGE INDEX: JAN. 28 - FEB. 3, 2008

MCCAIN WINS THE COVERAGE BATTLE AS MEDIA MOVE TO ANOINT HIM
    http://www.journalism.org/node/9610
    (Note that at the bottom of the page there are links you may find pertinent including their methodology)

I recall that at the time this study was released, NPR did an interview of a man from the organization and Ron Paul was never mentioned, until a listener called into asking about him. The guy being interviewed agreed that the media decided early on that they did not want to cover Ron Paul.
    ….

In August 2011, the same group did this article:
    (Story on right side- and notice that you can customize the chart.)

Kurt Nimmo of infowars also did a story based on this info.
    Pew Research Evidence Corporate Media Connived to Ignore Ron Paul
    http://www.infowars.com/pew-research...nore-ron-paul/
    Hope this is helpful.

Well Google Trends got this:
    http://www.google.com/trends/?q=ron+...ate=mtd&sort=0

but it doesnt give you specifics.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.