Thread: So what happened at the ND state convention?

So what happened at the ND state convention?

I'm reading that Romney got 20/28 delegates. How did this happen? How did he have a majority of delegates at the state convention? I would have thought a Paul/Santorum delegate majority would have been present to prevent this...?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have some friends who went, but this is all I've got right now: http://dougwead.wordpress.com/2012/0...-paul-cut-out/
    I just don't know what went wrong!

What happened is that the party's Delegate Selection Committee put out an "approved slate" of delegates. They also had a box you could check to approve all 25 delegates with just one check in the box. We nominated other delegates from the floor and then asked that a new ballot be printed with no preference given to any single delegate. We were told no, that would take too long, we could just write in whatever names we wanted from the list of those nominated from the floor. That was the biggest fight--over whether or not they should have a paper ballot with ALL the delegates' names, not just the 25 "approved" delegates.

A motion was made to table the vote until Sunday, in order to allow leadership time to print a new ballot. A voice vote was too close, so we called for a roll call. Instead of a roll call, the chairman asked for a show of hands. Before district chairmen could finish counting the yes votes, the chairman called for the no votes and then immediately called the measure defeated. We asked for a count of the vote, he said he had no count, he just "knew" that the nos had won, because you needed 2/3 vote to table a motion.

We countered by saying, no, Robert's Rules says you only need simple majority to table a motion. That's when our Nat'l Committeeman (who claims to be a RP supporter) said "When there's a discrepancy between Robert's Rules and party law, party law supercedes." We showed them the party bylaws that say just the opposite: Robert's Rules supersedes state bylaws. But it was no use--they declared the motion final.

Part of the problem was many of the Santorum people wouldn't work with us. For the first 45 min or so all the motions and nominations were coming from RP supporters, even though some of our nominations were for Santorum delegates. So everyone was mad at the Paulistas for "disrupting" the process. Many wouldn't even vote with us on the motions because we were RP supporters, even though what we were doing was helping Santorum as well. Finally, after about 45 min of RP supporters holding the floor, Santorum's State Chrmn stood up and spoke out against the railroading. (He's a former state chrmn, who, BTW illegally "unbound" the delegate in '08, thus robbing RP of 12 delegate votes. Wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome, but we were proud of having won those 12 delegates for RP and we wanted to see them cast.) So the Santorum supporters finally started getting on board with us but by then we'd already lost a couple motions.

So they disenfranchised everyone by not having one printed ballot for all the delegates, then they violated RR by not having a secret ballot when we called for Roll Call, then they didn't finish counting the aye's before calling for the no vote, and then declared the motion defeated, then violated party bylaws by saying party bylaws supersede RR.

Then they final move of the convention: they completed all the business on the agenda, asked if there was any further business, we made a motion (breach of continuance) to redo the delegate vote (because they left two delegate candidates who were nominated from the floor off the list.) and they cut the mikes and declared the convention adjourned.

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/vid...-railroad-job/

Go to www.sayanythingblog.com for a complete blow-by-blow account of what the Stupid Party was up to this weekend.
    Last edited by Prairie Chuck; 04-01-2012 at 11:47 PM.

All I can say is... get active in your local GOP. Take over the party. Then the corruption will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Chuck View Post
    A voice vote was too close, so we called for a roll call. Instead of a roll call, the chairman asked for a show of hands. Before district chairmen could finish counting the yes votes, the chairman called for the no votes and then immediately called the measure defeated. We asked for a count of the vote, he said he had no count, he just "knew" that the nos had won, because you needed 2/3 vote to table a motion.
    I honestly have no idea about Roberts Rules and all of that. However, I know in the NH House you need 50%+ to table a motion and 2/3s to remove a motion from the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    All I can say is... get active in your local GOP. Take over the party. Then the corruption will stop.
    Please folks, stop using language like that. Not only is it disrespectful, it undermines your cause and alienates everyone else. Let's try to use common sense, reasonable language. We are trying to influence our local GOP. We are trying to persuade our local GOP. Saying things like take over is not only crude, it is unreasonable and offensive. Let's think logically folks. We aren't evil. We aren't the devil. We aren't the enemy. Let's not act like we are.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 04-02-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Is this also an april fools joke?

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/201...umpaul-at.html

Sad news. Expect the same in every state convention. I expect something similar in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Glad to see so many more on board with this strategy 4 years later. Back in 08' the majority opinion was that the GOP was a lost cause. That may still well be, but at least people are making an effort to play the game and try to win it this time.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Please folks, stop using language like that. Not only is it disrespectful, it undermines your cause and alienates everyone else. Let's try to use common sense, reasonable language. We are trying to influence our local GOP. We are trying to persuade our local GOP. Saying things like take over is not only crude, it is unreasonable and offensive. Let's think logically folks. We aren't evil. We aren't the devil. We aren't the enemy. Let's not act like we are.
    I see nothing inlammatory in suggesting that principled uncorrupt people hold positions of influence in the GOP. We will always be viewed as the devil because we wish to remove the real devils. People who do not reflect ideals such liberty and corruption need to be alienated. You can do all of this without being illogical or offputting.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

The gop has never been about following the Constitution so none of this should be a surprise.

Take over is sorta the wrong word. How about let's use what Ron said. We need to get active so we can HELP restore the Republican GOP. It's a mess right now.

Paul/Johnson 2012, the gop will lock out ron paul already happening. We will see how colorado goes april 13,14th. I predict the gop nominates obama!
    The gop will lose the election before it even begins if they do not nominate Ron Paul.
    Last edited by speciallyblend; 04-02-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    2016 gop est business as usual, rules do not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I honestly have no idea about Roberts Rules and all of that. However, I know in the NH House you need 50%+ to table a motion and 2/3s to remove a motion from the table.
    You are correct. Violated Roberts Rules there.

Can we not hold these party leaders accountable?? They'll do this to us in every state if we let them.

What happens is the rules committee creates a delegate slate committee. Then that committee can suggest a list of delegates. So, having some representation on the rules committee really is what's really important to ensure everything is fair. 4 years from now we'll have our people on those committees.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=720941620
    http://www.myspace.com/anarkyisorder

Tracy

PS Please donate to our SD Liberty PAC and send as many Ron Paul delegates to Tampa from SD as possible.
    http://southdakotaforliberty.com/
    Like us on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...74626939256447

Quote Originally Posted by skyorbit View Post
    What happens is the rules committee creates a delegate slate committee. Then that committee can suggest a list of delegates. So, having some representation on the rules committee really is what's really important to ensure everything is fair. 4 years from now we'll have our people on those committees.
    Exactly. Major props to all those who have been involved since the last election and the progress made since then is a testament to their determination. It's up to those of us who only came on board this election to see that progress continues

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.