Thread: Don't Worry, That's Just Bread Mold On Your Tampon

Exclamation Don't Worry, That's Just Bread Mold On Your Tampon

Don't Worry, That's Just Bread Mold On Your Tampon
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/24...On-Your-Tampon

Normally, Danielle wouldn't have pulled her Kotex tampon out of the applicator for inspection before using it. I mean, who does that? One happened to fall out of the applicator, though, and that's when she saw them. The splotches of blackish mold. "Makes you wonder how many times things like this happen to tampons and we don't have a clue," she wrote. Um, yes.

She posted photos on her blog, along with the response that she received from a Kimberly-Clark representative when she e-mailed in the same photos. Their response, paraphrased: "don't worry about that mysterious substance that you almost inserted into your vagina. It's just bread mold." Then they promised to send her coupons for more Kotex tampons. Thanks?

Dear Danielle,

Thanks for contacting us about your experience with KOTEX® SECURITY® tampons. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with your recent purchase of our product.

We understand how distressing it can be to find mold on a product that is used for personal hygiene and apologize for your concern. In instances where it has been found, we conducted tests on the product involved and have found the mold to be a common environmental species that carries no health risk. The vegetative mold is similar in nature to mold on vegetables or in baked goods.

You can be confident that we are diligently reviewing our manufacturing process to ensure this problem does not recur. Because our customers and their well-being are very important to us, we want to assure you that the quality and safety of our products are our top priorities. We apply very rigorous procedures to our products to ensure that they are safe for their intended use.

With the hope that you will continue to use SECURITY tampons with confidence, we are sending you some coupons through the mail for your use on future purchases.

[redacted]
    Consumer Services, Kimberly-Clark Corp.
    Lead the world in essentials for a better life.

Danielle didn't find this particularly comforting. The reply came quickly, and knowing that had a form letter ready to go for cases of tampon mold is a little unsettling. She noted on her blog:

Yeah, that's real reassuring. I was grossed out in the first place and their response just makes it worse! Seems this is a fairly common problem ... and that is a cause for serious concern. I doubt most people get as lucky as I did - I just so happened to accidentally expose the mold and I am so glad that I did! Most people wouldn't be so fortunate.

Thanks for the coupons, Kotex, but I can confidently say I'll never be purchasing any of your products ever again.

Then her blog post went viral. Readers wondered whether she had faked the mold with a Sharpie for attention, or stored the tampons in a damp cabinet. (Isn't that why they're sealed in little plastic wrappers?) At readers' urging, she approached a local news outlet which plans to send the tampon for independent lab testing. But in the meantime, someone higher up at Kimberly-Clark noticed, and reached out.

Dear Danielle,

I just read your message to us on Facebook and I wanted to tell you that we are so sorry you had this experience! In [redacted]'s eagerness to get back to your e-mail right away, she unfortunately sent you incorrect information concerning this issue.

Nothing is more important to us than consumer safety. Any discoloration or abnormality with our tampons is extremely rare, and we want to do a full investigation to determine the source and follow-up with our manufacturing facility. So if you still have the tampon, can you please return it to us by using the prepaid mailing envelope we're sending you?

We'd also really like to get on the phone with you and find out more to help us in our investigation. Please give us a call at [redacted] and ask for [redacted], or reply to this e-mail and give us your phone number and the best time to contact you.

Again, we are so sorry this happened and thank you so much for getting in touch with us and giving us the chance to help make sure this doesn't happen again.

[redacted]
    Account Executive
    Consumer Services, Kimberly-Clark Corp.
    Lead the world in essentials for a better life.

Kudos to this Kimberly-Clark employee for not using the phrase "taking it very seriously," as companies shamed into responding tend to do. But it's funny how it takes a few hundred thousand pageviews for a company to realize that a pat on the head and some coupons is not the best way to deal with a grossed-out customer.

While working on this post, I sent the link to a friend, who said that she's received moldy tampons in the past. Ew. Tampon users, is this a common problem? If you've encountered similar mold, please weigh in.

Sources:

The tale of the moldy tampon. [Parr For The Course] (Thanks, akbibliophile!)
    Re : the overwhelming response to the moldy tampon. [Parr For The Course]
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No extra charge for the penicillin.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Or yeast infections...
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Yeast deserves to live also.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Time to buy stock in the yogurt companies.

Aaaaand goodnight, folks!
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

The second letter is a "Please don't set us up for a class action suit" letter. They want to get the the evidence out of her hands, and sweet talk her into agreeing that it's no big deal.

One happened to fall out of the applicator, though
    That's a red flag right there. Manufacturing or package error, or even worse, product tampering.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

thank God i'm a guy
    "It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." Robert Kennedy

http://scully13.wordpress.com/about men of dark intentions

I found a human finger in my bowl of chili...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Use OB tampons. Less packaging and you can see what you're using.

It doesn't make sense that mold would show up on dry, bleached cotton/synthetic material though. Something had to go seriously wrong with the manufacturing/packing/shipping process.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    Use OB tampons. Less packaging and you can see what you're using.

It doesn't make sense that mold would show up on dry, bleached cotton/synthetic material though. Something had to go seriously wrong with the manufacturing/packing/shipping process.
    Or the storage process. The plastic covering isn't exactly air or water tight. Under the sink tends to get wet occasionally. Maybe she had it in her purse, and spilled a beer on it.

Or maybe they sealed it up before the thing had dried.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I found a human finger in my bowl of chili...
    You Too?!

(That story was in my neck of the woods).
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Or the storage process. The plastic covering isn't exactly air or water tight. Under the sink tends to get wet occasionally. Maybe she had it in her purse, and spilled a beer on it.

Ugh, Hot Topics time.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

Ohhh...that makes sense. Gross that she'd try to use it, and even worse that she'd try to pin it on the company if that was the case. Certainly seems more likely than it being the mfg's fault.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.