Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicotine Test as Job Requirement

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    While I love to discriminate against smokers, I am surprised it's legal. Especially if it's on the hiring process. I understand for health care purposes, the provider has a right to know the details of your health and habits, but I never heard of jobs that prefer non-smokers.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    First they came for the pot smokers, and I did nothing because I did not smoke pot...
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    FIFY
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    While I love to discriminate against smokers, I am surprised it's legal. Especially if it's on the hiring process. I understand for health care purposes, the provider has a right to know the details of your health and habits, but I never heard of jobs that prefer non-smokers.
    Once diagnosed, smoker soon die. So they pay a lot of taxes while alive, then quickly die. A plus plus.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Smoking reflects a lack of self-discipline and and a poor decision making process. Not valuable character traits in an employee.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Smoking reflects a lack of self-discipline and and a poor decision making process. Not valuable character traits in an employee.
    what reflects good self discipline?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    what reflects good self discipline?
    Not reporting your posts?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I wonder how long before they test for lazy genes?

In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    As if a loss of my five dollars a day would "slay" anything.
    If you spend $5 per day on cigarettes that adds up to over $1800 for the year...
    ‎"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever."
    -Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    If you spend $5 per day on cigarettes that adds up to over $1800 for the year...
    Thank you.. Now all I need is someone to tell me how much money I would waste in 10 years

Thank you.. Now all I need is someone to tell me how much money I would waste in 10 years
    If you spend $5 per day on cigarettes, that adds up to over $18,000 in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    If you spend $5 per day on cigarettes, that adds up to over $18,000 in 10 years.
    Leave me alone, mom.

It is also about my right to smoke. I had informed them that I did not need smoke breaks nor would I use tobacco on their property but in the sanctity of my own home I thought I was free to do as I please in. It sounds more like a health initiative much like the bans in many public parks.
    You could have said that even though you don't smoke, you use snuff and therefore could not pass a nicotine test.

Yeah this bothers me even though I'm not job hunting. I've quit smoking using e-cigs so even though I couldn't pass a nicotine test, I don't smoke. But of course it's their right to discriminate.

Recently when going through an interview process at a nearby temporary agency they asked if I was a smoker. When I told her I smoke cigarettes she said she needed a non-smoker. I told her it was not a problem as I do not need a smoke break and would refrain from smoking on work property. She told me that they did a nicotine test where they swab the inside of your cheek and it will react with nicotine. Seeing how tobacco is legal I was wondering some peoples' thoughts on the subject.. particularly on the employer's right to perform a nicotine test/not hire tobacco users.
    First, a question: what $#@!ed company was this?

As to the issue in question, I believe they are free to discriminate based on tobacco use or any other point they may choose. I do draw the line, however, at the invasive act of testing. They should be able to ask you if you smoke for whatever the reason. Your word should be all they require in response with the understanding that if they find out that you in fact do smoke, they can show you the door. Forgetting that companies are free to ask such questions of their prospective employees, they should certainly be free to do so when the answer directly effects the nature of the work. Imagine a biochemical company that produces highly sensitive compound that must have no nicotine in it as a contaminant. I would not blame them for wanting to ensure that an employee not breathing it into a batch of whatever.

Either we are free or we are something else. Freedom means that some of us will do things the rest of us do not like. Discrimination is my right for any reason I may choose. I am not, however, entitled to demand you give me samples - certainly not without a detailed explanation as to why they are being demanded and how it directly relates to job function. For example, I feel it is perfectly legitimate for a private airline to test pilots for drug use as such use may directly affect the pilot's ability to safely operate aircraft. Some will cringe at this, but really there is no issue of violation in question here. Were I CEO I would make damned sure to minimize risk to my customers, which in the case of a stoned pilot could be substantial.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

If they want to be crazy like that, don't apply with them. That is pretty screwed up.... Some big companies are getting stupid crazy nowadays. We need more small businesses.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So glad the wife made me quit.
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

So after 10 years of pleasure and bad breath, all I lose is barely a car? I'll take it!
    (don't forget the increased cost in dental hygeine and chewing gum)

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Which is kind of ironic because most smokers I know are healthier than some of the non-smokers I know. That's why healthcare should not be dictated by the federal government. I do not think employers should have to pay for employees benefits.
    You notice you said "most" vs "some"? What are these "some non smokers"? Drinkers? Drug addicts? Genetically inherited heart diseases? Junk food junkies?

You don't have to let them; but then again they don't have to employ you either.
    Isn't there a certain point where an employers hiring practices become too extreme?
    Last edited by DerailingDaTrain; 03-30-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Yeah, that sucks. more loss of employers' rights. i remember when I ran into this ban about 14years ago out in cali, i thought it sucked as I was not an employer but an employee and i smoked. my views have changed now that the roles have reversed.
    Do you still smoke? The rules do not necessarily apply to the employer now do they.

Quote Originally Posted by DerailingDaTrain View Post
    Isn't there a certain point where an employers hiring practices become too extreme?
    The point at which they can't hire enough employees, or at which the public thinks the hiring practices are so awful that they boycott the product.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    The point at which they can't hire enough employees, or at which the public thinks the hiring practices are so awful that they boycott the product.
    Thank you for your response.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by virgil47 View Post
    Do you still smoke? The rules do not necessarily apply to the employer now do they.
    no. i would hope not since he should be the one making the rules.

see melissa's answer

Recently when going through an interview process at a nearby temporary agency they asked if I was a smoker. When I told her I smoke cigarettes she said she needed a non-smoker. I told her it was not a problem as I do not need a smoke break and would refrain from smoking on work property. She told me that they did a nicotine test where they swab the inside of your cheek and it will react with nicotine. Seeing how tobacco is legal I was wondering some peoples' thoughts on the subject.. particularly on the employer's right to perform a nicotine test/not hire tobacco users.
    I don't have a problem with this. Based on my experience, smokers tend to spend an excessive amount of time outside on breaks smoking. Its really not fair to everyone else. Non-smokers work non-stop except for their lunch break. For some reason, smokers feel like its their right to take smoke break after smoke break. I'm sure if there was a statistic, non-smokers produce more than smokers.

I'm kind of glad to see a company cracking down on this and not giving smokers all the breaks.

Yes.

100 years ago, among other things, employers would force you to go their company approved church or stop drinking.

Thus the formation of unions, and all the trouble they brought.

And the cycle repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by tttppp View Post
    I don't have a problem with this. Based on my experience, smokers tend to spend an excessive amount of time outside on breaks smoking. Its really not fair to everyone else. Non-smokers work non-stop except for their lunch break. For some reason, smokers feel like its their right to take smoke break after smoke break. I'm sure if there was a statistic, non-smokers produce more than smokers.

I'm kind of glad to see a company cracking down on this and not giving smokers all the breaks.
    I'm kind of glad to see a company cracking down on homosexuals, who feel it's their right to engage in perverse activities that show poor judgment skills and engage in behavior that is medically risky and causes all of health care costs to rise.

/shrugs

40 years ago sucking the smoke from a smoldering shred of plant matter was considered normal and "OK".

Now, it's sick and twisted and anti social, but fellating another man is considered normal and "OK".

/shrugs again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast