Thread: Get the Low Hanging Fruit, FIRST!

Get the Low Hanging Fruit, FIRST!

Many activists only like to be involved in dramatic (sexy) type activities. Ignoring the retail politics and basic necessities of winning elections. Here is a case in point:

A local GOTV leader went to a grassroots "signwave" the other day and found out the event organizer, who was out there waving signs for 5 hours, was NOT EVEN REGISTERED TO VOTE, and the deadline is tomorrow...

C'mon folks. Get the low hanging fruit FIRST!
    Last edited by ronpaulhawaii; 03-29-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    you might want to be more specific on where the low hanging fruit is..... we should take voter registration cards, pens and stamps to sign waves?

Colleges? (my thought)
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Every Ron Paul supporter should be registering those that like RP and wish to vote for him. Simple as that.

Low hanging fruit!
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

In this case it was good for the GOTV leader to stop by. What we are encouraging here is "signwaves" in high FOOT traffic areas. We call them sign waves because more people come out, but they are really voter outreach (and until tomorrow, voter registration) events...

For urban areas there are plenty of high foot traffic choices. For rural areas there are post offices and grocery stores (I usually ask permission from the manager, this will be easier if you are there to do "Voter Registration" and you can put your button back on after asking your mileage may vary.)
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

I was thinking voter registration with a post box (post office works) and a stamp if they mail it immediately..... any problem with us stamping them so they don't get put aside, that you are aware of? Registration isn't specifically for one candidate, so I was figuring there shouldn't be an issue..........
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

low hanging fruit are local elections to local offices and state offices, and even US representative spots can be low hanging fruit. The Senate is harder but still low hanging fruit compared to the Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    In this case it was good for the GOTV leader to stop by. What we are encouraging here is "signwaves" in high FOOT traffic areas. We call them sign waves because more people come out, but they are really voter outreach (and until tomorrow, voter registration) events...
    Indeed. The point of the signwaves are not to convince people to support Ron Paul (sign waves are really bad at that). Sign waves help gather existing Ron Paul supporters and find Ron Paul supporters who haven't been active yet. Once you find them, make sure they're registered to vote for Ron Paul.

We've been holding Ron Paul meetings and sign waves near libraries where they have voter registration forms.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I was thinking voter registration with a post box (post office works) and a stamp if they mail it immediately..... any problem with us stamping them so they don't get put aside, that you are aware of? Registration isn't specifically for one candidate, so I was figuring there shouldn't be an issue..........
    There are different laws for each state. In NM we had to become registered "registars". In NY we can get stacks of forms, have people fill them out, collect them and bring them to BoE (or mail them) ourselves. In NYC is best to bring them in because GOP registrations have a disproportional history of getting "lost in the mail"...

~ C.Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are different laws for each state. In NM we had to become registered "registars". In NY we can get stacks of forms, have people fill them out, collect them and bring them to BoE (or mail them) ourselves. In NYC is best to bring them in because GOP registrations have a disproportional history of getting "lost in the mail"...
    I'll check but I didn't see anything about having to be registered registrars if we aren't 'collecting' them but are just handing out forms and stamped envelopes and they mail their own. But I will double check.

If you guys can get stacks of forms from places, chances are there is no "registar" issue. The stamped envelopes are good, collecting them and mailing them yourselves even better

~ C.Coolidge

If you guys can get stacks of forms from places, chances are there is no "registar" issue. The stamped envelopes are good, collecting them and mailing them yourselves even better
    I was going to have us right next to a mail box and the stamped envelope is conditional on their mailing it on the spot....the whole point is that they not be put aside. I think there might be requirements if we take personal charge of delivering them, but I will double check the requirements.

Sailing, I know you live in L.A.

It is very important to make copies of the registration forms before mailing them out for voters. We have a deal with the GOP to get paid per registration that we turn in as a group.

Make sure you put your name on the bottom as the person who helped complete it.

Enter registrants on http://www.ronpaullosangeles.com/register.htm to put into our database.
    Last edited by eleganz; 03-29-2012 at 01:24 PM.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    Sailing, I know you live in L.A.

It is very important to make copies of the registration forms before mailing them out for voters. We have a deal with the GOP to get paid per registration that we turn in as a group.

Make sure you put your name on the bottom as the person who helped complete it.

Enter registrants on www.ronpaullosangeles.com to put into our database.
    oh, I wasn't aware of that. I just wanted to get people registered. If I take custody of the forms do I need to be credentialed? My idea was that if they mailed their own we avoided that.

--
    edit, I actually had that site bookmarked, but not that part of it.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 03-29-2012 at 01:27 PM.

you might want to be more specific on where the low hanging fruit is..... we should take voter registration cards, pens and stamps to sign waves?

Colleges? (my thought)
    I think the point that was being made is that If even the SIGN WAVERS aren't registered, how can they expect the people who see those signs to bother to vote?

I was being facetious, hoping that MOST of our sign wavers are registered, but I've just been thinking of stuff for this area, too.

Welcome to the forums!

Colleges? (my thought)
    On March 29 and later? Conventions. But, there are still some spots where we can get delegates from election day voters. Colleges, sure, yeah. Classic that the leader of the sign wave wasn't registered to vote.

That's it in a nutshell.

I could type the same 5000 words about "what to do" but it's pretty much too late for that.

Every area should have a "project". There shouldn't be a massive failure where there should be a massive success. If there's a state university in session when the vote takes place, this is something everyone in the state should already know about. The efforts to make sure that tons of people on that campus will be voting should've happened a long time ago. The existence of a college is not a surprise. The buildings were the kids live aren't on wheels. Skip everything else but those projects. Most of the time the projects should be a college.

Start a goal that we need accomplished. We need those kids in the dorms to vote. The kids at the college the university to vote. And then you have a plan to accomplish that. In most cases, we are so very far from that. And we never really were very close to that ever.

An unregistered voter leading a Ron Paul Sign Wave is Classic Ron Paul Grassroots.

Sign Waves are pretty much pointless. Voting is necessary.

People even here aren't focused on votes and voting. "How does this get VOTES for Ron Paul?" is often not asked or answered.

"Let's have a march on Tampa!"

"How does this get VOTES for Ron Paul? Don't the delegates that we're trying to persuade inside the building hate Kokesh? Why are we affiliating with this when it hurts Ron Paul?"

"blah blah ... founding fathers ... blah blah ... enjoy ... blah blah ... Gandhi ... blah blah ... creative outlet ... blah blah ... happy"

"WE NEED VOTES"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMorewood View Post
    I think the point that was being made is that If even the SIGN WAVERS aren't registered, how can they expect the people who see those signs to bother to vote?
    It seems like another, accurate, "WE SUCK" post. And yep, we do, at least in this phase. Getting delegates, doing well at local and state conventions, we are good at, or we seem to be so far.

Do other campaigns do massive sign waves? Normal people think that's kinda crazy.

Many activists only like to be involved in dramatic (sexy) type activities. Ignoring the retail politics and basic necessities of winning elections. Here is a case in point:

A local GOTV leader went to a grassroots "signwave" the other day and found out the event organizer, who was out there waving signs for 5 hours, was NOT EVEN REGISTERED TO VOTE, and the deadline is tomorrow...

C'mon folks. Get the low hanging fruit FIRST!

For urban areas there are plenty of high foot traffic choices. For rural areas there are post offices and grocery stores (I usually ask permission from the manager, this will be easier if you are there to do "Voter Registration" and you can put your button back on after asking your mileage may vary.)
    Now this is a ground game.
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us

Quote Originally Posted by parocks View Post
    On March 29 and later? Conventions. But, there are still some spots where we can get delegates from election day voters. Colleges, sure, yeah. Classic that the leader of the sign wave wasn't registered to vote.

That's it in a nutshell.

I could type the same 5000 words about "what to do" but it's pretty much too late for that.

Every area should have a "project". There shouldn't be a massive failure where there should be a massive success. If there's a state university in session when the vote takes place, this is something everyone in the state should already know about. The efforts to make sure that tons of people on that campus will be voting should've happened a long time ago. The existence of a college is not a surprise. The buildings were the kids live aren't on wheels. Skip everything else but those projects. Most of the time the projects should be a college.

Start a goal that we need accomplished. We need those kids in the dorms to vote. The kids at the college the university to vote. And then you have a plan to accomplish that. In most cases, we are so very far from that. And we never really were very close to that ever.

An unregistered voter leading a Ron Paul Sign Wave is Classic Ron Paul Grassroots.

Sign Waves are pretty much pointless. Voting is necessary.

People even here aren't focused on votes and voting. "How does this get VOTES for Ron Paul?" is often not asked or answered.

"Let's have a march on Tampa!"

"How does this get VOTES for Ron Paul? Don't the delegates that we're trying to persuade inside the building hate Kokesh? Why are we affiliating with this when it hurts Ron Paul?"

"blah blah ... founding fathers ... blah blah ... enjoy ... blah blah ... Gandhi ... blah blah ... creative outlet ... blah blah ... happy"

"WE NEED VOTES"
    In CA the primary isn't until June. People are just starting to pay attention and most of the debate/introduction interview stuff is done. That's why I put the Des Moines Register interview on the front page. There are people who don't REALLY research until right before they vote.

The first question is 'who is still really IN it?' but I am hoping we will have caucus state delegate numbers of some sort before the election.

The point is, if Mitt DOESN'T have enough on the first ballot, who do you want, voter?
    Last edited by sailingaway; 03-29-2012 at 02:30 PM.

In CA the primary isn't until June. People are just starting to pay attention and most of the debate/introduction interview stuff is done. That's why I put the Des Moines Register interview on the front page. There are people who don't REALLY research until right before they vote.

The first question is 'who is still really IN it?' but I am hoping we will have caucus state delegate numbers of some sort before the election.

The point is, if Mitt DOESN'T have enough on the first ballot, who do you want, voter?
    I do often overstate the case about how we have a chance at the conventions, but very little outside of the conventions. I'm sorta throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's not all bad. All this talking to random people on the street might be training for talking to delegates in conventions.

The conventions are not where everyone sits down in front of the tv and absorbs what they're saying. It's people who are making the arguments.

Yeah, Romney is electable.

Because Americans love the 1%
    Because Americans want to vote for the guy that Goldman Sachs likes
    Because Americans are getting Kolob-mania

And there's a lot more, and the tv isn't really addressing these things. We'll have that opportunity in Tampa and we have that opportunity in state conventions.

Most random street level campaigning is pretty pointless at this time. If everyone in California decided that 1 CD was the best to win, and everyone worked on that, we might get it. But everybody in CA spread out and working on their own thing is not as likely to get any success at all. It doesn't really appear that there is any thought being given to trying to figure out what CD or CDs might be winnable.

In CA, there are likely districts in LA that are almost entirely Democrat. The numbers of people who voted in the Republican primary in 2008 were likely very small. Find those CDs. Are there any of those precincts with colleges in them?

Getting people to register is easy. Most register if you do all the work. I take the forms along when I canvass, let them fill 'em out, (they must provide a phone number to confirm) then drop them off at the voters office. The ladies in the office call to verify the voters registration. The people get their card in a few days. A bunch of people told me they had their cards in 3-4 days. The hard part is getting them to the polls.

bump
    Delegates Matter MORE than the Popular Vote Find Out Why

2012 GOP Nominating Process (Demystified)

"The true danger is when Liberty is nibbled away, for expedients and by parts.... The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men do nothing."
    CVRP connecting the troops, and those who support them, to grassroots action. Join Us