Thread: Israel to bar UN fact-finding team from entering

Israel to bar UN fact-finding team from entering

Israel to bar UN fact-finding team from entering

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel cut working relations with the United Nations Human Rights Council on Monday and will bar a U.N. team from entering Israel or the West Bank for a planned investigation of Jewish settlements, the Foreign Ministry said.

Israel accuses the council of having a pronounced anti-Israel bias because of what it says is its disproportionate focus on Israeli policy toward the Palestinians.

Israeli leaders have been in an uproar over the council's adoption of a resolution last week condemning Jewish settlement construction in the West Bank and east Jerusalem and its decision to send a fact-finding mission to investigate.

On Monday, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman announced Israel was severing working ties with the council.

"It means that we're not going to work with them. We're not going to let them carry out any kind of mission for the Human Rights Council, including this probe," said Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki said he was not surprised by the Israeli move.

"Israel never cooperated with all fact finding missions that were sent and established by the U.N. to investigate the Israeli atrocities against the Palestinians," he said after meeting his Danish counterpart in Copenhagen.

Much of the international community sees settlement construction on occupied lands the Palestinians seek for a future state as a major impediment to peacemaking, and has pressured Israel to freeze it.

Israel has moved 500,000 Israelis to the West Bank and east Jerusalem since capturing the areas, along with Gaza, in the 1967 Mideast war. Israel withdrew soldiers and settlers from Gaza in 2005, though it still controls access by air, sea and land, except for a crossing between Gaza and Egypt.

The Palestinians say continued settlement expansion pre-empts the outcome of negotiations. Israel, which refuses to halt construction, says the fate of settlements and the related issue of the final borders of a Jewish and a Palestinian state must be determined through negotiations, not demands.

Since its creation in 2006, the Geneva-based council has focused heavily on alleged abuses by Israel. After the United States joined in 2009, the council has increasingly addressed human rights problems in other countries. Last year, it created a special investigator for Iran, held emergency meetings on Libya and Syria and dispatched teams of experts to probe abuses in those countries.

On the same day it called for an investigation of the settlements, the council approved four other resolutions critical of Israel.

The council will likely keep passing resolutions on Israel while the occupation of Palestinian land continues, its president, Uruguayan diplomat Laura Dupuy Lasserre, said last week.

Israel has had uneasy relations with the U.N. for decades, in large part because of the pro-Palestinian majority in the General Assembly, though the United States has used its veto power multiple times to block anti-Israel resolutions in the Security Council. Israel halted its marginal funding to UNESCO in the fall after the U.N. cultural agency recognized Palestine as a member.

Relations with the U.N. were especially acrimonious over a U.N.-commissioned report by South African jurist Richard Goldstone on Israel's military offensive in Gaza three years ago, aimed at stopping daily rocket attacks. Israel refused to cooperate with Goldstone's team, though it didn't bar it from entering.

___

Associated Press writers Frank Jordans in Geneva and Jan M. Olsen in Copenhagen contributed reporting.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If they've got nothing to worry about or hide, they should let the UN inspectors in. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesTX View Post
    If they've got nothing to worry about or hide, they should let the UN inspectors in. Right?
    That's what we are told daily. Not that I am defending anything of the UN, mind you, it's like they will not comply with the UN with regards to their Nukes! Yet they expect the UN to inspect Iran. They certainly talk out of both sides of their mouths.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

LOL... the racist apartheid dictates, of course the US gov puppets inside the DC beltway will jump however high to back their overlords 'snap of the fingers'.

I just read this morning... the Department of Defense is asking for more funds for enhancing "IRON DOME" across Israel. The DOD... WTF? Of course all this is justifiable expense and burden on the US taxpayers because the government clowns are putting a missile defense in Poland/Czech republic so we are protecting Europe, as to justify spending $10's of Billions in Israel now... nice game-plan eh?

Pentagon presses Congress for more Iron Dome systems

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill...-dome-systems-
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

If, I was a Country , I would not let the UN in ....

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    LOL... the racist apartheid dictates, of course the US gov puppets inside the DC beltway will jump however high to back their overlords 'snap of the fingers'.

I just read this morning... the Department of Defense is asking for more funds for enhancing "IRON DOME" across Israel. The DOD... WTF? Of course all this is justifiable expense and burden on the US taxpayers because the government clowns are putting a missile defense in Poland/Czech republic so we are protecting Europe, as to justify spending $10's of Billions in Israel now... nice game-plan eh?

Pentagon presses Congress for more Iron Dome systems

http://thehill.com/blogs/defcon-hill...-dome-systems-
    Nicefor somebody

I believe Ron Paul is against the idea of centralized institutions such as UN who bend to certain agendas. Petrodollars are speaking in this case.
    Let`s get Ron Paul into top 10 to generate headlines. We need more people.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900), Twilight of the Idols

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788 - 1860)

https://twitter.com/#!/JuicyGrabs

Dr. Paul is against the United Nations, period. He introduces a bill every year to get us out of it.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Iran allows UN inspectors into their country to inspect nuclear activities but will not let them into military installations (also they have signed the non-proliferation treaty) = OMG they are not playing by the rules, they must have nukes! BOMB THEM NOW~!!!@!!@#!#143!2!!1

Israel won't let UN inspectors in whether its for nukes or human rights violations (has not signed the non-proliferation treaty) = Our closest friend and ally.

IMO the UN can go to hell but this just shows how screwed up our foreign policy is and how Israel has too much influence over our government.
    Last edited by Lafayette; 03-29-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
    Iran allows UN inspectors into their country to inspect nuclear activities but will not let them into military installations (also they have signed the non-proliferation treaty) = OMG they are not playing by the rules, they must have nukes! BOMB THEM NOW~!!!@!!@#!#143!2!!1

Israel won't let UN inspectors in whether its for nukes or human rights violations (has not signed the non-proliferation treaty) = Our closest friend and ally.

IMO the UN can go to hell but this just shows how screwed up our foreign policy is and how Israel has too much influence over our government.
    Exactly. I particularly hate the UN, and I'd like to get out of it. But my message to Israel is this: if you join a club, you are expected to play by their rules. If you don't like it, then quit the club!

My point being the UN is the best friend to Israel when it suits them. I think the US ought to back out of, not only the UN, but funding Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    My point being the UN is the best friend to Israel when it suits them. I think the US ought to back out of, not only the UN, but funding Israel.
    Me too , and funding anyone else as well .