Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Rand Paul Blocks New Iran Sanctions

Exclamation Sen. Rand Paul Blocks New Iran Sanctions

Sen. Paul Blocks New Iran Sanctions

Demands Amendment to Stop Administration’s Unilateral Use of Force

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Sen. Rand Paul took to the Senate floor to oppose unanimous consent of a new set of sanctions on Iran and introduced an amendment that would ensure that nothing in the act shall be construed as a declaration of war or an authorization of the use of force against Iran or Syria, and that any such use of force must be authorized by Congress.

Below is video and transcript of that exchange:

TRANSCRIPT:
    Reserving the right to object, I’m amazed the Majority Party objects to an amendment which simply restates the Constitution.

Our Founding Fathers were quite concerned about giving the power declare war to the Executive. They were quite concerned that the Executive could become like a king.

Many in this body cannot get boots on ground fast enough in a variety of places, from Syria to Libya to Iran. We don’t just send boots to war. We send our young Americans to war. Our young men and women, our soldiers, deserve thoughtful debate.

Before sending our young men and women into combat, we should have a mature and thoughtful debate over the ramifications of and over the authorization of war and over the motives of the war.

James Madison wrote that the Constitution supposes what history demonstrates. That the Executive is the branch most interested in war and most prone to it. The Constitution, therefore, with studied care vested that power in the Legislature.

My amendment is one sentence long. It states that nothing in this act is to be construed as a declaration of war or as an authorization of the use of force in Iran or Syria. I urge that we not begin a new war without a full debate, without a vote, without careful consideration of the ramifications of a third or even a fourth war in this past decade. I, therefore, respectively object.

Last edited by Matt Collins; 03-28-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But.. But.. But.. He's really bad and stuff!

The first sanctions he voted for are bad enough.

+rep to Rand!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Truly impressed
    Rand Paul for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
    If voting for sanctions against Iran's central bank is the price to pay for the political capital needed to block sanctions against the Iranian people and to slow down the steady march to war with Iran that we seem locked into....well to me that's worth it.

Please read: http://www.dailypaul.com/217658/rand...iran-sanctions

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So why did he support the first set of sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    If voting for sanctions against Iran's central bank is the price to pay for the political capital needed to block sanctions against the Iranian people and to slow down the steady march to war with Iran that we seem locked into....well to me that's worth it.

Please read: http://www.dailypaul.com/217658/rand...iran-sanctions
    From the email response from Rand Paul:
    The Iranian regime is engaged in the pursuit of nuclear weapons and supports terrorism across the globe. I supported S.Amdt.1414 because the sanctions are targeted to the regime's financing of those activities through the central bank and unlike other sanctions, not against the Iranian people.
    This is flat out wrong. The Iranian regime is not in pursuit of nuclear weapons or supporting terrorism around the globe. And despite his claims that these sanctions do not hurt the Iranian people they do! Inflation is sky high in Iran now, believe me, it is hurting them!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Facts are not hate. I never expected a Ron Paul supporter to act like a mind numb robot.

Good news. I really hope that Rand turns out like his father.
    Please visit the Free Talk Live YouTube Channel

My twitter: @Samuel_E_Amer
    The best liberty videos on YouTube: Freedom

The Philosophy of Liberty
    www.mises.org
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

The Potential of the Free State Project

Facts are not hate. I never expected a Ron Paul supporter to act like a mind numb robot.
    And when somebody comes around and votes the way you want them to; the best response is to not piss in their cherios but congratulate them on coming around and changing their point of view. I never expected a Ron Paul supporter to be an unforgiving absolutist, oh wait, nm.

From the email response from Rand Paul:

This is flat out wrong. The Iranian regime is not in pursuit of nuclear weapons or supporting terrorism around the globe. And despite his claims that these sanctions do not hurt the Iranian people they do! Inflation is sky high in Iran now, believe me, it is hurting them!
    Oh I believe you. Well...let me qualify that. I believe that this hasn't been proven. I agree with Rick Santorum (the one who tells the truth when he thinks nobody is looking) that if Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons it's for defensive purposes only and not to attack Israel. I also don't believe that Obama's "raid" killed Osama. But those positions are not politically expedient. Rand took a politically expedient position that not only got him elected senator of Kentucky, but that gives him political cover to actually slow down the anti-Iran war machine. I give him kudos for doing that. I was critical of Rand before it was popular to be critical of Rand and caught hell here for doing that. I think I've paid my dues.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think that it's better that Rand is a little more compromising than his father. It makes our movement more effective than having two Ron's

Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Good for Rand.

I was not impressed with the first round of sanctions, but this is certainly very positive.

No one is perfect. This time he's got it right.

Democrats (war wing) are not going to be happy about this.

Senator Paul Opposes new Iran Sanctions

Harry Reid's response to Rand Paul's objection:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/S...136/stop/12273
    Last edited by tsai3904; 03-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Rand on Iranian Sanctions

Very good to hear..Rand may be sane after all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYn_4...ature=youtu.be
    "Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul, Ron Paul with a heart, Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, Ron Paul"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Highlights of the bill Rand Paul was objecting:

http://banking.senate.gov/public/_fi...illSummary.pdf

Expanding Human Rights Sanctions:
    Imposes broad sanctions, including visa denial and freezing of assets, on persons and firms which supply Iran with technologies – including weapons, rubber bullets, tear gas and other riot control equipment, and jamming, monitoring and surveillance equipment – which the President determines are likely to be used by Iranian security forces to commit human rights abuses. Also requires: sanctions against individuals and firms found to have engaged in censorship; a strategy to promote Internet freedom in Iran; and 90-day expedited processing of Iran-related humanitarian, human rights and democratization aid.

Extends US sanctions to Iranian Energy Joint Ventures:
    For the first time, extends US sanctions under the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) to firms engaged in energy-related joint ventures anywhere in the world established after 2002 in which Iran’s government is a substantial partner or investor, or by which Iran could otherwise receive critical advanced energy sector technology or know-how not previously available to its government.

Applies mandatory US sanctions to Iranian Uranium Mining Joint Ventures:
    Requires at least 3 Iran Sanctions Act (ISA) sanctions to be imposed on firms who knowingly engage in jointventures with Iran’s government, Iranian firms, or persons acting for or on behalf of Iran’s government in the mining, production or transportation of uranium anywhere in the world. Exempts from sanctions persons who agree to withdraw from such projects within 6 months after the effective date of the bill.

Exclusion of Iranian Students Intending to Work in Iran’s Energy or Nuclear Sectors:
    Requires the Secretary of State to deny visas to Iranian university and graduate students seeking to come to the US to study in certain energy- or nuclear-related fields, if the Secretary determines they intend to return to Iran to work in its energy sector or nuclear program.

Syria Human Rights:
    Imposes sanctions patterned after those in CISADA against entities that arm or otherwise enable the Syrian government to commit human rights abuses there.

well this is v cool , hmmm
    "It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a person stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance." Robert Kennedy

http://scully13.wordpress.com/about men of dark intentions

I don't think he said anything we didn't already know. He is very anti-war.

The problem is the idea that you can commit an act of aggression like sanctions, and as long as you write "this is not an act of war," that somehow makes it cool.

There may be some dispute between the definition of an act of "aggression" or "war," but one thing is for sure... It ain't an act of peace.

I like Rand, I really do, and who knows, maybe he'll be the real agent of change we've been looking for... But he'll never be able to stand up and claim consistency like Ron.
    Last edited by kuckfeynes; 03-27-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    Harry Reid's response to Rand Paul's objection:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/S...136/stop/12273
    "This is a wonderful piece of legislation ... not to [pass] this is really unfortunate. ... We are slowing down these sanctions and [sanctions are] the way to avoid war."
    - Harry Reid

Thanks for posting this. It's important to be reminded just how bereft of sense and humanity scumsuckers like Harry Reid are.

He's probably gotten a lot of crap from his supporters over that, and is trying to make up for it.

Rand just took a step up in my eyes. Much better than his supine act with the TSA!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast