Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Korea Says It May Shoot Down North Korean Rocket

South Korea Says It May Shoot Down North Korean Rocket

South Korea may shoot down parts of a North Korean rocket if they breach the state's territory, South Korean officials said Monday (March 26), according to news reports.

World leaders from the United States, China, Russia and other nations met in Seoul for a two-day summit to discuss ways to secure the world from nuclear terrorism, but concerns about North Korea's planned satellite launch aboard a long-range rocket have dominated the discourse, the Associated Press reported.
    http://www.space.com/15039-north-kor...-reaction.html
    ‎"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever."
    -Carl Sagan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's a bad situation. If the rocket test is a success, North Korea will have a longer range to attack its enemies. I can see why Japanese and South Koreans don't want them knowing what their capabilities are.

North Korea has a deep hatred for the west.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    North Korea has a deep hatred for the west.
    I was surprised to learn how North Koreans all speak American English as a second language and generally listen to American music in their factories. Our relations with North Korea are even better than their relationship with Japan. I guess centuries of Japanese racism and imperialism will do that to a people. Talk about blowback.

NK says it's for their peaceful space program, not militaristic purposes.
    -Carl Sagan

Shoot down their satellite launch and next time they are not likely to tell you what they are launching.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    According to the North Korean government, they already have several satellites in Space broadcasting messages of peace throughout the planet 24/7.

Their people are starving. Maybe they should worry less about their space program.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Their people are starving. Maybe they should worry less about their space program.
    Such a sad situation for their citizens. NK is essentially stuck in the 1950s in everything except their military.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    The people should do something about that,, like grow some food,, or some balls.

or perhaps they are not quite as starving as is reported.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Even speaking out against the North Korean government gets you, your entire family, and your neighbors sent to concentration camps. Just due to association. And it's not always speaking out against the government, sometimes it's just having a Bible verse or two.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    The people should do something about that,, like grow some food,, or some balls.

or perhaps they are not quite as starving as is reported.
    I hesitate to use the phrase "armchair" anything but... ease up, armchair warrior. How many dictatorships have you fought against today?

Quote Originally Posted by Stupified View Post
    I hesitate to use the phrase "armchair" anything but... ease up, armchair warrior. How many dictatorships have you fought against today?
    I didn't see anything "armchair warrior" like from what pcosmar wrote.

Same one I've been fighting for some time.
    And i grow food. I also cut wood for heat.

My point is, it is their country. They should do something about it.

And perhaps,, they are not as unhappy with it as we are led to believe.
    Perhaps also,, they are being starved by the world they are attempting to defend themselves against.

I think we should have stayed out of it 60 years ago.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Don't believe them.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    I didn't see anything "armchair warrior" like from what pcosmar wrote.

I was not talking about the "grow some food" comment, but rather the one about growing "some balls." I don't think any American that did not fight in either the American Revolution or Civil War has the right to tell a North Korean to grow some balls and stand up to his government (which would mean fighting/death, or a concentration camp).
    Last edited by Stupified; 03-26-2012 at 08:17 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was not talking about the "grow some food" comment, but rather the one about growing "some balls." I don't think any American that did not fight in either the American Revolution or Civil War has the right to tell a North Korean to grow some balls and stand up to his government (which would mean fighting/death, or a concentration camp).
    Then you should have no problem with them launching a satellite,, or any thing else.

As for me,,I am still waiting for a few more to wake up. But am glad to not be paying tax.

I wish we hadn't gotten into that mess years ago..
    It would be just one Korea today.
    Last edited by pcosmar; 03-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

I recommend watching some of these videos for those interested in learning more about North Korea:

Vice Guide to North Korea, and their slave camps in Siberia: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...to-North-Korea

North Korea's persecution of Christians: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...in-North-Korea

I like how the threatened responces is to make them "more isolated". I don't think that North Korea can get much more isolated than they are now. Kim Jong Un is probably staying up nights worrying about it. Or not. He lives in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    Don't believe them.
    Why not? Kim Jung-un needs GPS too!

North Korea is a tough one with no real easy answer. According to Kim Jong Il's son Kim Jong Nam (who now resides in China) the regime is heading to collapse and they only have two options. Keep the status quo which will eventually collapse or Chinese-like reforms which would weaken the regime's grip on the people and probably end up with a total collapse. Either option is frightening, as rogue regimes like that may try to start a war as a last chance to keep their population under control.

And perhaps,, they are not as unhappy with it as we are led to believe.
    Perhaps also,, they are being starved by the world they are attempting to defend themselves against.

I think we should have stayed out of it 60 years ago.
    I'm not so sure. When vets return here they are so proud of what they accomplished and feel it was worth it. Maybe Vietnam vets would have a different story to tell.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarianNationalist View Post
    North Korea is a tough one with no real easy answer. According to Kim Jong Il's son Kim Jong Nam (who now resides in China) the regime is heading to collapse and they only have two options. Keep the status quo which will eventually collapse or Chinese-like reforms which would weaken the regime's grip on the people and probably end up with a total collapse. Either option is frightening, as rogue regimes like that may try to start a war as a last chance to keep their population under control.
    Why would Chinese type reforms lead to collapse? It's surely possible, but why does it seem so certain.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by american.swan View Post
    Why would Chinese type reforms lead to collapse? It's surely possible, but why does it seem so certain.
    Not sure. I read this in a newspaper that got this info from a Japanese journalist who chatted with Kim Jong Nam. So there could have been something lost in translation or a misquote.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wish we hadn't gotten into that mess years ago..
    It would be just one Korea today.
    Yes, how much better things would be if only all of the Koreans were being brutally repressed instead of just half.

I've gotten to the point where I no longer believe Western government propaganda about North Korea. I don't know what the real story is but I doubt it is anywhere close to what these propaganda outlets portray.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I've gotten to the point where I no longer believe Western government propaganda about North Korea. I don't know what the real story is but I doubt it is anywhere close to what these propaganda outlets portray.
    You do know that non-Americans can travel there relatively freely? There are plenty of personal accounts of visits to NK to be found on the internet.

Just keep in mind that their visits are carefully managed, and that they typically only see the city of Pyongyang and perhaps one or two tourists sites beyond that.

Where would North Korea be today if we had traded with them and had good diplomacy with them instead of isolation and threats?
    If you threaten a paranoid person they will see their stance justified (somewhat rightly so), you embolded the leaders and their propaganda has more effect.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesc View Post
    Why not? Kim Jung-un needs GPS too!
    I was going to rep you, but you're banned
    -Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    Where would North Korea be today if we had traded with them and had good diplomacy with them instead of isolation and threats?
    If you threaten a paranoid person they will see their stance justified (somewhat rightly so), you embolded the leaders and their propaganda has more effect.

My view especially.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast