Thread: Help a beginner -- need sources for specific foods

Help a beginner -- need sources for specific foods

I am going to get serious about storing more food --I have a family of 5! I am only going to store what we eat on a regular basis, and we are an all organic family. I am open to storing a FEW non-organic item provided that they are pesticide and chemical free. The problem is, I cannot find good reasonably priced sources for organic foods in bulk. A lot of the "prepper" and bucket foods seem to be random unlabeled foods of unknown origins and quality. I am an admitted food snob, and since I HOPE these items will never be used in an emergency, I want things we will continue to eat on a regular basis. Ideas for sources? I can do Costco, natural foods stores in Southern California, Walmart, or any online source with reasonable shipping. Here are the specific items I want right now.

Wheat berries (I may go walmart montana even though it isn't organic it is cheap and good quality)
    Electric wheat grinder (I make bread homemade already, I just want to start grinding my own flour)
    Steel cut oats, like Country Choice or Bob's Red Mill
    Freeze dried organic strawberries, apples, blueberries, etc.
    Pinto and black beans (these are VERY spotty on quality, we eat a lot and I want GOOD tasting ones)
    Brown rice, basmati or jasmine (what is the shelf life on this??)
    White rice, basmati or jasmine
    organic popping corn
    italian plum tomatoes, such as san marino
    organic pasta (Costco is pretty good on this)
    bpa free tuna cans (I currently buy cases of Wild Planet on Amazon, but its expensive)
    large buckets of RAW honey
    large bags of Celtic and Himalayan sea salt

Is this a good start for extended storage? I will also start buying and keeping on hand 1 or 2 extras of things we use a lot but don't last as long like sauces, extra baking supplies, canned fruits, etc.

Any help pointing me in the right direction for sources would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by craezie; 03-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I have one word for you: Pemmican.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I have one word for you: Pemmican.
    One word for you: ewwww!

Quote Originally Posted by craezie View Post
    One word for you: ewwww!
    Lol. Picky people are the first to starve.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I am going to get serious about storing more food --I have a family of 5! I am only going to store what we eat on a regular basis, and we are an all organic family. I am open to storing a FEW non-organic item provided that they are pesticide and chemical free. The problem is, I cannot find good reasonably priced sources for organic foods in bulk. A lot of the "prepper" and bucket foods seem to be random unlabeled foods of unknown origins and quality. I am an admitted food snob, and since I HOPE these items will never be used in an emergency, I want things we will continue to eat on a regular basis. Ideas for sources? I can do Costco, natural foods stores in Southern California, Walmart, or any online source with reasonable shipping. Here are the specific items I want right now.

Wheat berries (I may go walmart montana even though it isn't organic it is cheap and good quality)
    Electric wheat grinder (I make bread homemade already, I just want to start grinding my own flour)
    Steel cut oats, like Country Choice or Bob's Red Mill
    Freeze dried organic strawberries, apples, blueberries, etc.
    Pinto and black beans (these are VERY spotty on quality, we eat a lot and I want GOOD tasting ones)
    Brown rice, basmati or jasmine (what is the shelf life on this??)
    White rice, basmati or jasmine
    organic popping corn
    italian plum tomatoes, such as san marino
    organic pasta (Costco is pretty good on this)
    bpa free tuna cans (I currently buy cases of Wild Planet on Amazon, but its expensive)
    large buckets of RAW honey
    large bags of Celtic and Himalayan sea salt

Is this a good start for extended storage? I will also start buying and keeping on hand 1 or 2 extras of things we use a lot but don't last as long like sauces, extra baking supplies, canned fruits, etc.

Any help pointing me in the right direction for sources would be much appreciated!
    You can probably just grow those tomatoes

I buy all our organic wheat, beans, sprouting seeds. ext from Bread Beckers . If you join one of their co-ops, shipping is only about $5.00, and if there isn't one near you, talk to them about starting one. I believe it is a way to earn extra income.

Try the Azure Standard.

http://www.azurestandard.com/

They deliver down into Ca. I am not sure how far south. Most health food stores and co-ops get there stuff from them. All organic. Huge catalog.
    Last edited by ryanmkeisling; 03-27-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmkeisling View Post
    Try the Azure Standard.

http://www.azurestandard.com/

They deliver down into Ca. I am not sure how far south. Most health food stores and co-ops get there stuff from them. All organic. Huge catalog.
    Thanks and repped! This is exactly what I was looking for, and they have a drop point not far from me. They have lots of organic stuff in bulk between $1 and $2 per pound.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You can probably just grow those tomatoes
    You are assuming that I have space and time to garden, which would be a false assumption.

Even if I did have enough space, the amount of fertilizer to amend the soil to be able to grow well, plus the water to irrigate, shade structures to prevent them from burning in our punishing heat, plus canning jars and supplies IN ADDITION to all the time would put me WAY in the hole.

I like to grow a few tomato plants for salad use, but gardening is definitely not for everyone.

Thanks and repped! This is exactly what I was looking for, and they have a drop point not far from me. They have lots of organic stuff in bulk between $1 and $2 per pound.
    A great company and the catalog is always expanding. They have a drop near me as well and when I saw your post I thought you would like them. Compare the catalog prices to the health food stores prices and you will see the insane markup that is put on a good number of those products.
    Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Check out a UNFI buying club.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

You are assuming that I have space and time to garden, which would be a false assumption.

Even if I did have enough space, the amount of fertilizer to amend the soil to be able to grow well, plus the water to irrigate, shade structures to prevent them from burning in our punishing heat, plus canning jars and supplies IN ADDITION to all the time would put me WAY in the hole.

I like to grow a few tomato plants for salad use, but gardening is definitely not for everyone.
    I understand water may be a problem , seriously if that is the case , not a good place to stay the course , I understand time to an extent , ( it does not reqire time from you to grow the tomatoe , only theplant ) , but canning jars ? I have hundreds , never paid more than , probably four cents apiece at yard sales , auctions , give aways from family , friends etc , I do have to buy some lids , but that is it

If you ever decide to give it a try , I would not bother trying to fertilize your soil if it is low quality , I can get 40 lb bags of potting soil from my local farm store for less than $1.50 on sale , I would give that a try , or you can grow them in bales of straw, a bale of straw will go for more than a couple bucks though .