Thread: Obama urges China to act to rein in North Korea

Obama urges China to act to rein in North Korea

Obama urges China to act to rein in North Korea

Alister Bull
    Reuters
    March 25, 2012

U.S. President Barack Obama on Sunday urged China to use its influence to stop North Korea’s “bad behavior” in a nuclear standoff with the West and hinted at tougher sanctions if the reclusive state goes ahead with a rocket launch next month.

Such a launch would only further isolate the North, which much show its sincerity if on-again-off-again six-party aid-for-disarmament talks are to restart, Obama said.

Seoul and Washington say the launch is a disguised test of ballistic missile. North Korea says it merely wants to put a satellite in orbit.

“They need to understand that bad behavior will not be rewarded,” he told a news conference in Seoul after arriving in Seoul to attend a global summit on nuclear security.

Full article here
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ^ that picture looks weird. Is he standing in a BP chamber or something?

The soldier behind the binoculars is sleeping

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    The soldier behind the binoculars is sleeping
    Lol.
    I am the spoon.

It seems that Obama is telling countries to don't do anything until after he is re-elected lolololzzz

Hey more sanctions. Great idea. And here i was foolishly thinking that failure after failure would somehow encourage politicians to rethink their approach.

China doesn't want a peaceful, democratic North Korea. Their only interest is to keep the status quo. They could end the regime today if they decided to, by opening up the northern border. But too many Koreans flooding into China would be horrendous for the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by IDefendThePlatform View Post
    Hey more sanctions. Great idea. And here i was foolishly thinking that failure after failure would somehow encourage politicians to rethink their approach.
    You mean sanctions are bad?
    I am the spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The DMZ is easily one of the most tense places in the world. One wrong move and you can expect one hell of a $#@!storm.

Civilian tours do not do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by IDefendThePlatform View Post
    Unfortunately there's not really much the West can do at this point. The ball is in North Korea and China's court.