Thread: Los Angeles Passes Resolution Against ‘Intolerable’ Radio Speech

Los Angeles Passes Resolution Against ‘Intolerable’ Radio Speech

Los Angeles Passes Resolution Against ‘Intolerable’ Radio Speech

Jonathon M. Seidl
    The Blaze
    March 23, 2012

The Los Angeles City Council has passed a resolution condemning speech on radio that some may find “intolerable.”

According to the local CBS station in L.A., Councilmember Jan Perry “introduced legislation this week that would call upon media companies to ensure ‘on-air hosts do not use and promote racist and sexist slurs’ on radio and other broadcasts.”

The resolution, which the L.A. Times notes is only a “symbolic” move, passed 13-2.

“It’s exactly appropriate for this council to speak up against the vile things we hear on the airwaves,” Councilman Paul Krekorian told the Times. According to him, he doesn’t want to see free speech stifled, but rather is looking “to seek a greater consensus on what is appropriate speech and to reject what is not.” [Quote is referring to the Times' paraphrase -- it is not Krekorian's exact words]

That raises the question: Isn’t coming to a greater consensus on appropriate speech the beginning of censoring free speech?

Read full report here
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    what does it really mean? That stations can't be built in LA? Or airwaves can't reach into the area?

I'm curious to see how many posters applaud this move.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    I'm curious to see how many posters applaud this move.
    Zero I hope.
    I am the spoon.