Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: My Neighbors Just Ate their Dog (Seriously). What is the libertarian stance on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Why are we bumping this thread? Is there a new recipe?
    It's Friday night. In a search for something else it crossed my path.

As with anything. Low and slow. Hickory and Cherry.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    It's Friday night. In a search for something else it crossed my path.

As with anything. Low and slow. Hickory and Cherry.
    Was the dog named "Smokey"?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

My neighbors dog has been in the freezer for 4 years now. She doesn't want to bury it...

in case she forecloses on her home.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Was the dog named "Smokey"?
    I always thought that would be a good name for a lynx.

as an 'in progress' libertarian, my opinion is, if you want to eat dogs, and live next door to me, i reserve the right to raise Rottweilers in my kennels. And i love dogs, and i own guns.

go for it.

Well, one thing you could have done was go over there with a rifle and kill all of them.

freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    My neighbors dog has been in the freezer for 4 years now. She doesn't want to bury it...

in case she forecloses on her home.
    Well, I can sort of relate. When Jack died in 2004 I put him in the freezer and there he stayed for 3 weeks. I was kind of upset about his death and just could not get myself to bury him in a place where I knew I would be soon leaving. My daughter finally prevailed upon me to get him in the ground, so I drove up to Pacific City (OR) to my friends place, a very wild and beautiful 20 acres of rain forest and interred my best friend under a stately tree of majestic proportions. There he remains to this day.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BenIsForRon View Post
    ...if the dog was killed quickly, then it's all good.
    That's my only concern.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    It is absolutely disgusting, but the dog is his property.

Just another reason why I am not against local ordinances that prohibit such things.
    Why is it disgusting? What is it about the act that makes it so?

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Well, I can sort of relate. When Jack died in 2004 I put him in the freezer and there he stayed for 3 weeks. I was kind of upset about his death and just could not get myself to bury him in a place where I knew I would be soon leaving. My daughter finally prevailed upon me to get him in the ground, so I drove up to Pacific City (OR) to my friends place, a very wild and beautiful 20 acres of rain forest and interred my best friend under a stately tree of majestic proportions. There he remains to this day.
    pic?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Well, one thing you could have done was go over there with a rifle and kill all of them.

No, you could not have. That would have been unjust aggression. You would be a criminal if you did that, specifically a murderer. Osan may be OK with murder. I am not.

Eating cat for Christmas: Activists call on Swiss parliament to outlaw pet consumption...

Reuters / Arnd Wiegmann

The animal protection group, SOS Chats Noraingue, has handed over a petition with 16,000 signatures, including such notable animal rights defenders as Brigitte Bardot, to the Swiss parliament on Tuesday.

Dog meat is often used to make sausage, while cats are prepared around the holiday season in a similar style to rabbit - in a white wine and garlic sauce. A type of mostbröckli made from marinated cat or dog is another local favorite.

While the commercial sale of dog meat is banned nationwide, its consumption is still legal and is particularly popular in Lucerne, Appenzell, Jura and in the canton of Bern, according to Tomek. Farmers are free to kill and eat their own animals. Those in the Appenzell and St. Gallen areas are said to favor a beefy breed of dog related to Rottweilers.

In a 2012 report on pet eating in the Swiss paper Tages Anzeiger, the Swiss Veterinary Office chalked up the practice to a “cultural matter” and noted that some countries breed dogs specifically for slaughter.

One farmer, defending the practice, told the paper, “There’s nothing odd about it. Meat is meat. Construction workers in particular like eating it.”

Continued - Eating cat for Christmas: Activists call on Swiss parliament to outlaw pet consumption

bump for another thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Leaving aside the issue of inhumane slaughter, which certainly seems to be the case here, how difficult can it be?

You own the animal, how is slaughtering it for food any different than slaughtering a lamb or goat or a chicken or a steer?

We are not the ones who are nuts.

A whole generation of soft, disconnected Americans who have no idea where their food comes from, no idea where their energy comes from, no idea where their consumer goods come from, they are the crazy ones, as far as I'm concerned.
    Yeah, what I said.

This is self evident fact.

The lion has no concept of or respect for the "rights" of the gazelle.

Nor does the bluefish for the squid.

And so on...
    And also: what I said.

Why do dogs seem to have more rights than every other animal?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, what I said.
    So long as you don't cage the animal for spectacle, allowing the soft to supposedly breeze the Serengeti, I might refrain from offering the obvious opinion that you are barberous and cruel in your quest for satisfaction in watching animals $#@! and be rather dull for a price.

Eat the endangered polar bears for what I give a $#@!. It is still weird to cage them for tourists and in my opinion, the truly weak.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    So long as you don't cage the animal for spectacle, allowing the soft to supposedly breeze the Serengeti, I might refrain from offering the obvious opinion that you are barberous and cruel in your quest for satisfaction in watching animals $#@! and be rather dull for a price.

Eat the endangered polar bears for what I give a $#@!. It is still weird to cage them for tourists and in my opinion, the truly weak.
    Polar bear meat is very distasteful and the internal organs are poisonous.

This thread is making me hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

loveshiscountry

Better to eat the dog than to starve. I just hope they ate slowly and didn't wolf it down.

Cremation is always an option... I know my mom was buried with the cremated remains of one of her furry loved ones.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by BenIsForRon View Post
    There is no black and white. IMO, if the dog was killed quickly, then it's all good.

I would put humans on a level above the other animals (given many more rights beyond (inflicting unnecessary amounts of pain), though I have no solid reasoning to support that.
    So then it would seem there is no real basis for elevating man for praise above other life.

So then it would seem there is no real basis for elevating man for praise above other life.
    Man praises man. Let other life praise itself.
    -Albert Camus

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Man praises man. Let other life praise itself.
    Seems a mite self-serving, would you not say? "Let them eat cake..."

While men have, and continue to do much that is praiseworthy, far more often they do that which ranges from "meh", to that which is downright evil and disgusting. For such reasons I have come to a more tempered view on the tendency of man. On average, he is nothing to praise, therefore indicating that such lauding should be reserved for the individual found guilty of having done something worthy thereof. The typical example of the species merits far more clinical treatment, as does the typical act of even the best among us. Observation of huge numbers of examples of both men and their actions most definitely does not include general praise of any sort Here "men" refers almost universally to people of Empire, whose plague-like mindset infects virtually all examples.

The notion that only men have rights is idiotic on its face. All life claims itself as First-Property. To live is to steal away the First-Property from others - this is God's inescapable way. So be it. But men seem too often to indulge in gratuitous theft beyond that which is required for their own lives, and yet we praise ourselves. How amusing.

Were the deer and chickens and cockroaches, etc., able and of a mind to make a coordinated stand against us, we would soon see just how "special" we really were in the relevant sense.

It is the superiority of our instrumentality that separates us in some very narrow sense from the non-human rest, and oftentimes from each other as well. I see no basis for praise of the race of man simply because they are men, nor because they possess the raw capabilities unique to them. It is a lousy and most often blood-soaked lie that whispers to us how "special" we are.

Men of untempered instrumentality are most often worthy of naught but the blade and disgust of the warrior. It is precisely the distemper of the mean man that renders him a Weakman in contrast to the Freeman who understands the responsibilities that come to hand along with the instruments he wields. That responsibility extends to all beings and all things, and not just to other men. It is precisely the failure of men to recognize and embrace the other side of the coin of their status as free beings different from the rest that has caused them, as well as others, the boundless miseries they enjoy. Rather than accepting his gifts with humility and grace, he has taken them to hand in the manner of an ill-bred and reckless brat, devoid of any sense beyond his own skin, who rampages through his days seeking only to gratify and glorify his stunted self within the narrow channel of his wither-hobbled perceptions.

Just my worthless opinion on the matter, mind you.

Seems a mite self-serving, would you not say? "Let them eat cake..."

While men have, and continue to do much that is praiseworthy, far more often they do that which ranges from "meh", to that which is downright evil and disgusting. For such reasons I have come to a more tempered view on the tendency of man. On average, he is nothing to praise, therefore indicating that such lauding should be reserved for the individual found guilty of having done something worthy thereof. The typical example of the species merits far more clinical treatment, as does the typical act of even the best among us. Observation of huge numbers of examples of both men and their actions most definitely does not include general praise of any sort Here "men" refers almost universally to people of Empire, whose plague-like mindset infects virtually all examples.

The notion that only men have rights is idiotic on its face. All life claims itself as First-Property. To live is to steal away the First-Property from others - this is God's inescapable way. So be it. But men seem too often to indulge in gratuitous theft beyond that which is required for their own lives, and yet we praise ourselves. How amusing.

Were the deer and chickens and cockroaches, etc., able and of a mind to make a coordinated stand against us, we would soon see just how "special" we really were in the relevant sense.

It is the superiority of our instrumentality that separates us in some very narrow sense from the non-human rest, and oftentimes from each other as well. I see no basis for praise of the race of man simply because they are men, nor because they possess the raw capabilities unique to them. It is a lousy and most often blood-soaked lie that whispers to us how "special" we are.

Men of untempered instrumentality are most often worthy of naught but the blade and disgust of the warrior. It is precisely the distemper of the mean man that renders him a Weakman in contrast to the Freeman who understands the responsibilities that come to hand along with the instruments he wields. That responsibility extends to all beings and all things, and not just to other men. It is precisely the failure of men to recognize and embrace the other side of the coin of their status as free beings different from the rest that has caused them, as well as others, the boundless miseries they enjoy. Rather than accepting his gifts with humility and grace, he has taken them to hand in the manner of an ill-bred and reckless brat, devoid of any sense beyond his own skin, who rampages through his days seeking only to gratify and glorify his stunted self within the narrow channel of his wither-hobbled perceptions.

Just my worthless opinion on the matter, mind you.
    Exceptionally well written.

The entire occurrence of rights are nothing more than a pact sometimes shared among men, for the purpose of survival. They are a supernatural concept, the result of the imagination, that do not not exist in practical reality. An animal does not have the right to survival, it has an imperative to survive; as does every organism extant. Man is no different. The entire biomass is nothing more than one giant food processing machine.

It is the ability to conceptualize that sets man apart; not just from nature, but from his fellow man, and IMO, from God. The ability to claim "I", born of self-awareness, creates a barrier between the individual and his environment that it not permeable. Man is figuratively trapped by his ego. The ability to create and grasp ideas that are the result of self-awareness is the foundation of man's exceptionalism. But in reality we are monkeys with imaginations.

One fella's opinion.
    -Albert Camus

So you trespassed, stole someone else's property, and then called the corrupt, local thugs to come and beat them up?

The only one doing anything wrong is you.

Dogs are non-human meat. Meat is food. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    The entire occurrence of rights are nothing more than a pact sometimes shared among men, for the purpose of survival.
    That is the practical aspect of it. There is also a conceptual aspect based in analytic reason applied in examination of the nature of the relationship of one man to another. That is how I came to cobble the Canon of Proper Human Relations. Basically, no man is endowed with authority over another. Likewise, no man is inherently subservient to another. There is no basis one could offer in defense of inherent master/slave relations that I, or any reasonably well trained sixth-grader, could not summarily demolish in while sleeping.

They are a supernatural concept,
    I do not think I can agree with this bit. I think they are very natural. What to me is unnatural is the notion that humans are the only ones who hold them. Given the definition of "right", it is clear that all living beings have them. That human instrumentality leaves men in a position of vast material superiority over all other terrestrial beings, it does not follow that only humans have rights. It simply means that men hold the ability to impose their wills upon the rest, and even each other, through our various means.

the result of the imagination
    Not sure they are the result of imagination, but rather that imagination allows us to discover and make sense of them.

that do not not exist in practical reality.
    Interesting choice of words. Does the fact that some violate the rights of the rest mean that the rights asserted do not exist? I don't think so. I think that it means only that that some violate others.

An animal does not have the right to survival, it has an imperative to survive;
    Is this a distinction without a difference?

as does every organism extant. Man is no different. The entire biomass is nothing more than one giant food processing machine.
    As a family member once quipped to me regarding planet earth: "Everywhere is life, but no food."

It is the ability to conceptualize that sets man apart; not just from nature, but from his fellow man,
    It certainly appears so.

and IMO, from God.
    You may have bitten off a little too much with this one.

The ability to claim "I", born of self-awareness, creates a barrier between the individual and his environment that it not permeable.
    Not sure that last bit is strictly true. Yogis, Buddhist monks, saddhus, and shamans of every stripe appear to have permeated the veil. In fact, I may have also done it, though it does call into some question what, exactly, are all these things of which we speak. I'm not sure anyone knows with any rigor and specificity. To put it in the words of John Denver, "life ain't nothin' but a funny funny riddle".

Thank God I'm a country boy.

Man is figuratively trapped by his ego.
    A truth the Hindus, Buddhists, etc., have recognized for a long year.

The ability to create and grasp ideas that are the result of self-awareness is the foundation of man's exceptionalism. But in reality we are monkeys with imaginations.
    And yet to me, that "exceptionalism" only exists when men display the spirit of grace, kindness, and generosity that shows proper respect not only to himself and his fellows, but to all life. Very few people manifest this sort of attitude, so far as I have ever been able to see. They are more than willing to rationalize abandonment of their best principles when it is convenient to them. The warrior does not.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    So you trespassed, stole someone else's property, and then called the corrupt, local thugs to come and beat them up?

The only one doing anything wrong is you.

Dogs are non-human meat. Meat is food. End of story.
    Humans are meat.

Meat is food.

End of story.

AF I like you man, but this thread was 2 years old. Look what you started again, again.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast