Thread: You've heard of Smart meters, coming now - Smart Outlets

You've heard of Smart meters, coming now - Smart Outlets

It was just a matter of time:

AF: Commence

http://www.gizmag.com/sony-authentic...l2mQI1rBP0X.01

Sony develops power outlet that can recognize devices and users
    By Darren Quick

22:51 March 21, 2012

Sony has developed a power outlet that can identify devices plugged into it, as well as individuals using the plug. The company says such technology could allow the electricity usage of individual devices to be monitored so non-essential devices could be switched off remotely in the event of limited electricity supply, or for the billing of customers charging their electric vehicles or mobile devices in public places.

Sony's Authenticated Power Outlet can identify users via a smartcard (Photo: DigInfo.TV)
    Sony's Authenticated Power Outlet can identify devices plugged into it so they can be moni...
    Sony's Authenticated Power Outlet allows electrical devices to be monitored remotely

The Authentication Power Outlet relies on Sony’s FeliCa technology – a contactless RFID smart card system developed by Sony mainly for use in electronic payment systems, such as Hong Kong’s Octopus card system.

When a device is plugged in, a FeliCa Lite chip built into the plug relays information about the electrical device to a reader/writer built into the outlet. While the plug and outlet communicate through a wireless antenna in the current system, the company is also developing a version that exchanges data through the power cable.

While existing electrical devices will function as normal with the chip-embedded plug, future devices could have the FeliCa chip built in and the outlet-side reader/writer could be located in the distribution board, allowing existing power outlets to be used without modification.

Authenticated devices can be monitored and have their power supply controlled remotely, allowing non-essential devices to be shut off when electricity supply is limited to ensure more essential devices, such as healthcare equipment and refrigerators, remain running.

The system also allows individual users to identify themselves with a wave of a smartcard over the power outlet. This would allow users to be charged and supplied with power from a public electrical outlet for a specific period of time – when charging up an electric vehicle, for example.

Sony hasn’t decided when to release the system commercially, but says it would require the involvement of other manufacturers and power supply companies to be viable.

The video below from DigInfo.TV shows the Authentication Power Outlet system in action.
    ATTAINING FREEDOM
    Man must get rid of illusions that enslave and paralyze him; he must become aware of the reality inside and outside of him in order to create a world which needs no illusions. Freedom and independence can be achieved only when the chains of illusion are broken.
    --ERICH FROMM

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness” Robert Griffin III

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do they make solar powered vibrators?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Sure, Why not? haha
    ATTAINING FREEDOM
    Man must get rid of illusions that enslave and paralyze him; he must become aware of the reality inside and outside of him in order to create a world which needs no illusions. Freedom and independence can be achieved only when the chains of illusion are broken.
    --ERICH FROMM

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness” Robert Griffin III

To be honest, this sounds like a pretty useful innovation in my opinion. The first half at least. I'd love to remotely control lights in my house, for example. The rest sounds awfully invasive...

However, I want Solar Powered vibrators!
    Last edited by Lishy; 03-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.

and it installs its own rootkit in anything plugged into it, free!

Quote Originally Posted by Lishy View Post
    To be honest, this sounds like a pretty useful innovation in my opinion. The first half at least. I'd love to remotely control lights in my house, for example. The rest sounds awfully invasive...

That's been around for quite a while now, back in the day when I used it I believe it was called x-10. I could turn lights and anything else off and on over the internet.
    Well, I got Rand started on his campaign (just search around here to see). I advised Thomas Massie before he ran for Congress. I am currently advising 2 liberty campaigns for the state legislature. I ran the war-room and won Minnesota for Ron Paul a few weeks back. There are other things I'm probably forgetting.
    Yet I can't afford $200 to go to a seminar--Matt Collins

When I first read the thread title I thought it said "smart meteors" and I thought "we are screwed now!'
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    AF: Commence
    This was in the works, and I posted about it in this thread I think over a year ago:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-100-Watt-Bulb

I got called a nut.

I really do hate being consistently right about this $#@!, I take no pleasure in it at all.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    LVP, reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Kluge View Post
    That's been around for quite a while now, back in the day when I used it I believe it was called x-10. I could turn lights and anything else off and on over the internet.
    For a second I thought you were talking about solar powered vibrators.

Yup, and that's why people will buy it up.

Give me convenience, privacy be damned, I'm not doing anything wrong.

Aren't you a guy?