Thread: GAME CHANGER for Dr. Paul in Tampa...

GAME CHANGER for Dr. Paul in Tampa...

I strongly believe the only game changer that Dr. Paul has at the Republican National Convention in Tampa is to run Jim DeMint as his Vice-President Nominee.

This would change the heart and mind of many Romney, Santorum and Gingrich delegates that consider themselves fiscal conservatives by casting their ballots for the most fiscal conservative President and VP there is at the convention...

Paul - DeMint

Plus being from the south, DeMint, would change the hearts of Romney's, Santorum's and Gingrich's delegates that are from the South and that are Evangelicals.
    Rand Paul for Peace

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Paul is from the south too ;s...

A) You can't really pick a VP now. You can float the name but that's pretty much it...

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    Paul is from the south too ;s...
    He lives in the South, but he's from Pennsylvania.
    I just don't know what went wrong!

Demint wont even endorse Ron...

Quote Originally Posted by robskicks View Post
    Demint wont even endorse Ron...
    He didn't endorse any of the candidates, but many say that he spoke most favorably of Dr. Paul than any of the other candidates.
    Rand Paul for Peace

DeMint endorsed Rand during his Senate run, if that holds any significance. Then again Palin endorsed Rand too, and they're two highly-touted conservatives.

I thought Senator Tom Davis was a well-known conservative in South Carolina, but that endorsement seemed to have little effect on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by LatinsforPaul View Post
    He didn't endorse any of the candidates, but many say that he spoke most favorably of Dr. Paul than any of the other candidates.
    This is true. DeMint has also come out saying that the Republican Party better embrace Paul's principles of libertarianism.

The big dogs cannot endorse Ron. Their lives and political lives would be at stake. Remember, it's Ron v the entire system.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Announcing an exciting and popular conservative VP selection PRIOR to obtaining the nomination in Tampa could change the decision of unbound delegates who are voting for another candidate. There is nothing AGAINST doing this, it's just not traditionally done before getting the nomination, but could become a good strategy, especially in the case of a brokered convention to change minds that now become unbound.

This is actually not a bad idea. I'm not starry-eyed over Demint, but, yeah, this is not bad at all.

In fact, it's so good, I'd put this thread in a members-only sub-forum before one of those lousy candidates steals this idea and essentially walks away with the nomination.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 03-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissassa View Post
    Announcing an exciting and popular conservative VP selection PRIOR to obtaining the nomination in Tampa could change the decision of unbound delegates who are voting for another candidate. There is nothing AGAINST doing this, it's just not traditionally done before getting the nomination, but could become a good strategy, especially in the case of a brokered convention to change minds that now become unbound.
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks
    Rand Paul for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Ivash View Post
    A) You can't really pick a VP now. You can float the name but that's pretty much it...
    Yes you can. Reagan did in 76 and forced a rules change vote on the convention floor to have the other candidates name their VP choice as well.

That said, I'm not sure Demint would run with Ron.

DeMint pissed off the Republican establishment by donating 500,000K to ClubForGrowth, which is targeting incumbents.

Honestly I would try to latch on to DeMint as opposed to the establishment candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    DeMint pissed off the Republican establishment by donating 500,000K to ClubForGrowth, which is targeting incumbents.

Honestly I would try to latch on to DeMint as opposed to the establishment candidates.
    Demint is one of the good guys for sure. I would vote for him without hesitation. I'm not sure how he would jive with Rons' foreign policy in the off chance he was tapped as VP in some contested convention scenario.

This would be brilliant if it happened. DeMint is a "true conservative" the base would love to get behind and yet he's someone Ron Paul supporters could stomach as a VP choice, even though his policy views are fairly different from Ron's.

As for being against the rules, it surely is not against the rules for DeMint to announce that he's willing be the nominee VP *if and only if* Ron Paul is the presidential nominee, and then for Ron Paul to say, with sincere enthusiasm, "the rules don't allow me to announce a Vice Presidential choice prior to being nominated, but I can say that Jim DeMint is someone I would VERY seriously consider if he were willing to be my running mate."

Can't see how that would be against any rules.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A well announced VP choice at this time might get him the momentum he so desperately needs. Does Demint have the cajones to take him up on it? Doubtful.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Tom Davis endorsement SHOULD have been huge.

Why wasn't it?

Because MSM didn't report it ANYWHERE.

DeMint endorsement would be treated the same way, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4RonPaul View Post
    Tom Davis endorsement SHOULD have been huge.

Why wasn't it?

Because MSM didn't report it ANYWHERE.

DeMint endorsement would be treated the same way, sadly.
    Welcome to the forums, Brian.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

DeMint is for the PATRIOT ACT. Sorry, but no thanks.
    "I am, therefore I'll think" - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by No Free Beer View Post
    DeMint is for the PATRIOT ACT. Sorry, but no thanks.
    Why does that always happen?

At first it seems they are decent enough to support, and then BAM! We find out they supported the PATRIOT Act... (or some other freedom eroding piece of garbage)
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Nissassa View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean it was impossible- what I meant is that DeMint could say no, and if another person leaked the story (a reporter who found out about it or something) it'd be quite an embarrassment. If DeMint accepts it would be a good strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivash View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean it was impossible- what I meant is that DeMint could say no, and if another person leaked the story (a reporter who found out about it or something) it'd be quite an embarrassment. If DeMint accepts it would be a good strategy.
    I am sure Rand would give his father a heads up on whether DeMint would accept the VP nomination or not.
    Rand Paul for Peace