Thread: James Nease (L) Indiana's 89th District

James Nease (L) Indiana's 89th District

Feel free to review my platform, my ideas, and ideology and what I can do for Indiana! If you happen to live outside Indiana; then feel free to show support by adding your name to my DFA support page (every supporter is worth it this election cycle; just fill out the form on the right!)

DFA candidate page
    http://democracyforamerica.com/campa...representative

Personal webpage

http://jamesnease.webs.com/

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/indynease

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just for your information!

Indiana has one of the most successful Libertarian Parties nationwide! So much so that we've maintained ballot-access since 1994 and are considered a "major party" with several Libertarian's holding office. So it's crucially important to maintain that strong stance on liberty by continuing to elect and support candidates that are not establishment types and work diligently to promote civil liberties

Public University tuition caps

Can you elaborate? This is usually not a libertarian stance, so I'm either confused, or you have an explanation.
    Last edited by Crystallas; 03-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas View Post
    Public University tuition caps

Can you elaborate? This is usually not a libertarian stance, so I'm either confused, or you have an explanation.
    Public Universities in of themselves are not too favored by many proponents of the free market; however there are thousands of students here in Indiana that attend public funded universities that are subject to massive tuition hikes because the Federal Government just throws exorbitant loans at students who receive that acceptance letter.

Since the D.O.E is a formidable beast that will not be easy to tackle States would need to go about this in a form of gradualism; setting the tuition rates low to cover strictly administrative costs and reduce absurd 800k salaries of University coaching staff (for example), the goal would be to reduce the tax burden and make education much more accessible and cheap in the long run for Public funded Universities.

I don't see any issue setting a price ceiling on things that absorb and consume tax dollars at an astronomical rate.

Indiana State University has a Financial Aid operating budget set at $11,665,861 (8.1% of total budget)

But the Board of Trustees runs at a budget nearing $145 million, the board is allocating $72million in salary; so <50% of the operating budget goes to paying staff the rest of the expenses go into maintenance and administrative fees ($101 million deferred) this in addition to a 3% pool increase to those salary expenses.

In total, 18-20% of the budget is used for education purposes and administrative cost(paper, computers etc), another 20% is allocated to projects and residence; but the majority of State-Appropriated money goes right into salary and benefit; which is $67 million according to the 2011-2012 budget

So capping tuition and reducing the amount of appropriations would reduce this burden; I plan to cut at least $20-30 million out of salary and cut down on unneeded staff that the State hires, so in the end we're not recouping the loss through student loans by increasing the tuition because the staff demands higher pay and fund allocation.

We're paying Professors at ISU $72,000 annually; but we're paying Dean's, Coaching staff, and secondary administrators 130k-250k a year

Do our universities or the tax payers really need to pay for a dozen or so associates vice-presidents or assistant coaches at twice the rate of full-time professors?

Caps are very necessary; because it is absurd to pay 20-30k per semester in tuition fees that are taken out of the tax base to cover wasteful spending and overloaded salaries. It costs more money to attend a public university than it would to attend an Ivy League school because with every dollar we appropriate to public universities they increase the budget cap for the fiscal year, and that comes right out of FAFSA loans and grants to cover the small deficits that riddle each department
    Last edited by Nease-District89; 03-27-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nease-District89 View Post
    I don't see any issue setting a price ceiling on things that absorb and consume tax dollars at an astronomical rate.
    Thank you for taking the time to spell out your motive on the issue in some detail.

This is more in the syndicalist area for me, so I will have to agree to disagree on your stance. Personally, I want to see more politicians working towards legislation that reduces the public incentive for education, and promotes more skill and life-pursuit independently. Therefore any position that gives more incentive to simply go to a university because the marketplace is being manipulated by the state government, is against my own principles. Inviting self-starters and capital will give every individual far more opportunity, without the price fixing of a public service. Over time, the costs go down in both the public and private sector, while the most important factor(quality of education) goes up.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As an Indiana Student, I agree that the tuition is being hiked and that at the surface a cap looks good. I just in good conscise could not fully go along with It though, regulation like that would hurt the ability for private colleges to compete in my opinion. The right thing to do would be to eliminate the D.O.E. which would take pressure off the state, and in exchange lower tuition.

Also auditing of state schools would be welcome, at Ball State we spend money needlessly on pointless projects (unrelated to education) and then tell our educators that they will have to provide the same quality of education while cutting their resources.