Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israel bans use of ultra-skinny models

Israel bans use of ultra-skinny models

But what about those plus-size models? They also serve as a very bad example. It's for the children!

---

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8EJ3IT20120320

(Reuters) - Israeli lawmakers have banned underweight models from catwalks and commercials, a measure they hope will reduce eating disorders and promote a healthy body image.

The law, passed late on Monday, says women and men cannot be hired for modeling jobs unless a doctor stipulates they are not underweight, with a body mass index (BMI) -- a measure expressing a ratio of weight to height -- of no less than 18.5.

The law also bans the use of a person who "appears underweight" and says advertisers must explicitly state if graphic manipulation was done to make a model look thinner in a photo.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I once dated an ultra-skinny model. She was so skinny nobody else could even see her.

Right, because 'banning' something makes it disappear.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Next, graphic designers will have to be licensed by the state to design advertisements.

Eh, kinda stupid, but I really hope people don't think this is just an Israeli thing.I know many people considering this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lishy View Post
    Eh, kinda stupid, but I really hope people don't think this is just an Israeli thing.I know many people considering this.
    And no more ultra skinny anime avatars, either!!! Yes, I am talking to YOU Miss 666 posts!
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Too small. Ban! Too big. Ban!

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Saw this on CNN Headline News. The problem is the average idiot is trying decide whether they want to see super skinny models and not whether there should be a law. People don't understand the difference anymore.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Next, those with non-government-approved appearance will be banned from walking down the street. Then they will just be killed.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    And no more ultra skinny anime avatars, either!!! Yes, I am talking to YOU Miss 666 posts!
    Sorry man. It's a dude from my Visual Novel who looks like a chick!
    Last edited by Lishy; 03-20-2012 at 02:22 PM.

This is discrimination!!!!!

Another win for liberty...

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    3:19 p.m. CST--Post reported for inaccurate numerical data.

Quote Originally Posted by Lishy View Post
    Sorry man. It's a dude from my Visual Novel who looks like a chick!
    Why would you make a dude that looks like a chick?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Why would you make a dude that looks like a chick?
    The Japanese and anime fans are known for more than tentacles :P

In all seriousness, because I wanted to design a "cute" antagonist because it really adds dissonance to my story. You'll have to see since I don't want to spoil anything, but my plot deals with MKUltra-inspired things!
    Last edited by Lishy; 03-20-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Anorexia is much more healthy and fixable than obesity. You can force food and nutrition down a malnutritioned or insanely anorexic person, but you cannot force fat out of him easily.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    banning the way someone eats,looks..a lifestyle?hmm yeah thats not totalitarian at all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion Lannister View Post
    Another win for liberty...
    Not even, if they're not worried about obesity more, would be hypocritical, unless this is just to please fat people. People often ask "Why are so many Americans fat", I think the real answer we don't want to hear is "because we tolerate it", if we made fun of, refused to hire, defriended, emotionally tortured fat people the same way we did to junkies, alcoholics, smokers, we'd have less of them. Is it a good thing to have less fat people? That's subjective, but you can be sure how to get that result. In contrast, if you encourage obesity by making junk food cheap, heart surgery available, handicap accomodations mandatory, how can you blame people for taking advantage of it?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    Anorexia is much more healthy and fixable than obesity. You can force food and nutrition down a malnutritioned or insanely anorexic person, but you cannot force fat out of him easily.
    Not really true. Both cause the same sort of diseases and defects, in large part, other than obesity being more likely to lead to Type 2 Diabetes. Then again, bone fractures are very common among anorexics, and tooth issues are quite fast to appear.

Genuinely anorexic people are not "pretty" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    banning the way someone eats,looks..a lifestyle?hmm yeah thats not totalitarian at all right.
    If people end up paying for their choices, they have every right to prevent it. If Israel is a libertarian society with no social health safety net, then it would be nice to say all people are entitled to choose their lifestyle, as long as they pay for their own consequences. But if society is either obligated or promised to save everybody for their mistakes, why wouldn't it be justified to prevent them?

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Not really true. Both cause the same sort of diseases and defects, in large part, other than obesity being more likely to lead to Type 2 Diabetes. Then again, bone fractures are very common among anorexics, and tooth issues are quite fast to appear.

Genuinely anorexic people are not "pretty" at all.
    Nobody said they're pretty, but anorexia can fixed by injecting and forcing food and nutrition down them. Try force releasing fat, artery clogs or hardened hearts. Anorexia can also be fixed FASTER when there's a threat of death, try scaring a person into losing weight, they couldn't even if they wanted to.

I might also add, this doesn't address women who are naturally skinny, nor does the "obese" label address women whose natural weight renders them a bit thicker than their skinny counterparts. You can be healthy at a pretty broad range of weights. Radical fluctuations in weight, nutrition, etc., are more likely to mess you up than just understanding how you're supposed to be built. This could be becoming anorexic, or it could be eating processed garbage daily until you're 300 pounds, then shooting down to 225, then going back up, and so on.

It should be up to the agencies to hire whomever they want, and up to the consumers of fashion-related nonsense to decide if it's worth paying attention to.

Then again, it's Israel. I don't live there.

I might also add, this doesn't address women who are naturally skinny, nor does the "obese" label address women whose natural weight renders them a bit thicker than their skinny counterparts.
    That may be, but as you admitted, they are outside of the norm.

You can be healthy at a pretty broad range of weights. Radical fluctuations in weight, nutrition, etc., are more likely to mess you up than just understanding how you're supposed to be built.
    Yes, but if you can't understand how you're built would you rather drink salad oil or eat salad?

This could be becoming anorexic, or it could be eating processed garbage daily until you're 300 pounds, then shooting down to 225, then going back up, and so on.
    Is anybody ever healthy at 300 pounds? Is anybody ever healthy at 300 pounds but 5 ft?

It should be up to the agencies to hire whomever they want, and up to the consumers of fashion-related nonsense to decide if it's worth paying attention to.

Then again, it's Israel. I don't live there.
    Just like it's up to children to decide whether they want to be cool and smoke if the advertisements show it.

Nobody said they're pretty, but anorexia can fixed by injecting and forcing food and nutrition down them. Try force releasing fat, artery clogs or hardened hearts. Anorexia can also be fixed FASTER when there's a threat of death, try scaring a person into losing weight, they couldn't even if they wanted to.
    I think you have a very limited understanding of what happens to an anorexic's body. Various surgeries can also be used to "fix" people who are hugely overweight. In both instances, the body no longer absorbs nutrients correctly, there is incredible strain on organs and joints, and there are issues with skin and teeth and hair. Organ failure is quite common among both extremes. Force feeding will have mixed results. Someone overweight who has cholesterol problems and the like will get a bypass or two or five. Neither side is "healthier."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think you have a very limited understanding of what happens to an anorexic's body.
    That is correct, and I think you can also admit there's far less people who are underweight or anorexic than vice versa as a problem. Wonder why?

Various surgeries can also be used to "fix" people who are hugely overweight.
    Yep, which is expensive and takes time. Nothing like forcing a feeding tube.

In both instances, the body no longer absorbs nutrients correctly, there is incredible strain on organs and joints, and there are issues with skin and teeth and hair. Organ failure is quite common among both extremes. Force feeding will have mixed results. Someone overweight who has cholesterol problems and the like will get a bypass or two or five. Neither side is "healthier."
    What is the anorexic or underweight equivalent to bypass surgery? I will also add, unless you are homeless and handicapped to begin with, anorexia or underweight, malnutrition is much easier to discover before its FUBAR, whereas obesity, whether you're 20, 50, 100, 200 pounds over weight, it's always harder.

Put it this way, a person can't be more than 50lbs underweight and alive. But a person can easily be 100lbs overweight and society refuses to ridicule him because that hurts his feelings. There's much more room to be overweight than underweight, so the "Extremes" are nothing alike.

FWIW, I find gaining weight harder than losing it. With some lifestyle adjustments I went from 195 to 140 in 2-3 years or so. My goal now is ~200, lean. (I'm at ~150 now)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    FWIW, I find gaining weight harder than losing it. With some lifestyle adjustments I went from 195 to 140 in 2-3 years or so. My goal now is ~200, lean. (I'm at ~150 now)
    is it the gaining itself, or are you at the same time fearing the side effects of weight gain? I have the same "problem", but I would say I fear being heavy or overweight, otherwise I'd drink salad oil like I drink water if I was guaranteed zero negative effects.

If people end up paying for their choices, they have every right to prevent it. If Israel is a libertarian society with no social health safety net, then it would be nice to say all people are entitled to choose their lifestyle, as long as they pay for their own consequences. But if society is either obligated or promised to save everybody for their mistakes, why wouldn't it be justified to prevent them?
    Israel is the (current) model for the US legal system and society in general, so this will no doubt have an effect here. Libertine, but not libertarian.

Neither side is "healthier."
    Yep. Both are incarnations of addiction and obsession.

Legislating and regulating them is just a symptom of totalitarianism.

is it the gaining itself, or are you at the same time fearing the side effects of weight gain? I have the same "problem", but I would say I fear being heavy or overweight, otherwise I'd drink salad oil like I drink water if I was guaranteed zero negative effects.
    No, I'm purposely bulking up. I do 2 full body workouts 3X a week. It's the gaining itself, really. Till I began training last year, I didn't know how to keep mass on, but shedding fat is pretty easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast