Thread: Egypt: 6 years in jail for insulting Mohammed

Egypt: 6 years in jail for insulting Mohammed

This is exactly why I urged caution when many here were supporting the uprising in Egypt. Mubarak was a dictator no doubt - but Americans I know with family in Egypt report that the situation has gotten much worse since the uprising especially for Christians. I have a feeling we'll continue to see more and more refugees head over this way.

I don't know what happened in this case if he really insulted Mohammed or not but from what I hear from friends this a very common tactic in Egypt when there is a dispute between a Muslim and a Christian. Accuse the Christian of insulting Mohammed and your problem will be eliminated. The US also inexplicably continues to give aid to Egypt even though the Egyptians themselves don't even want it.

http://www.aina.org/news/20120315194739.htm

Attorney Dr. Naguib Gabriell, head of the Egyptian Union of Human Rights Organization, said there was "terror in the Assiut Court today." He added that he was on his way to court when he was advised that Muslim lawyers have issued death threats to any Christian lawyers who attend the court session. "Makram Diab was assaulted by Muslim lawyers during his transfer from the courtroom and security failed to protect him."

Peter Sarwat, a Coptic lawyer, said that Muslim lawyers representing the plaintiffs prevented the defense team from entering court. "They said no Muslim will defend a Christian. It was agreed that Christian lawyers would take over and two Coptic lawyers volunteered, but the Muslims decided later that even Christians would not defend him." Sarwat said the Muslim lawyers wanted to assault the chief judge but he managed to leave the court via a rear door.

Adel Ramadam and Ahmad Mohamad Hossam, two Muslim lawyers and activists from the renowned NGO Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights (EIPR) went to court to defend Diab's right to a fair trial but were assaulted by the other Muslim lawyers. "They were assaulting us in a beastly and strange way just because we went there to defend a citizen who happened to be a Christian," said Adel Ramadam. He also said that to get out of court was a complex operation and a huge task for the security personnel. "We left court in a security vehicle which took us to Security headquarters, otherwise, we don't know what the outcome would have been for us."

Makram Diab, a school secretary was sentenced by the Abanoub misdemeanor court two weeks ago to six years imprisonment on charges of insulting Islam's prophet. His defense lawyer, Ahmad Sayed Gabali, was also prevented during that session from entering the court by Muslim lawyers (AINA 3-5-2012).

"I went to court today because I believe this citizen was stripped of all his rights," said Adel Ramadam in an aired interview today. "He had a quarrel with a Salafi school colleague and then 11 days later, it was suddenly decided by Muslims that they will report the case. He was detained by the prosecution for 4 days and two days later in a 10-minute session and without any defense lawyer present, he was sentenced to 6 years, which is way above the maximum of a misdemeanor case."
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm quite worried about Egypt as well. It was one of the leading, most representative Arabic countries in the whole MidEast, with important history behind it.

The Coptic Christiants are apparently getting more and more nervous with the way things are developing there. Lord have mercy.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

I just hope that the new Egyptian government doesn't stab Palestinians in the back like Mubarak and Sadat did. Hopefully they support Hamas.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    when there is a dispute between a Muslim and a Christian. Accuse the Christian of insulting Mohammed and your problem will be eliminated. ]
    Let's focus on the injustices right here at home instead of another nations problems.

When there is a custody dispute between a father and a mother, accuse the father of "anything" and your problem will be eliminated.

I guess it is better then the death penalty which was cried for by the mobs of Muslim fanatics during his trial.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Let's focus on the injustices right here at home instead of another nations problems.

When there is a custody dispute between a father and a mother, accuse the father of "anything" and your problem will be eliminated.
    This is relevant to Americans because:

A. When the uprising first happened many here supported it and it's a stark reminder of the law of unintended consequences.

B. It will have an impact as already 100,000 Copts have fled Egypt with about half of them ending up in the US. More will come as this continues.

C. It is important for Ron Paul. A couple months ago more than 1,000 Coptic Christians protested outside the White House to stop sending US money to Egypt. As Ron Paul looks to appeal to Christians it is important to note that Ron Paul is the ONLY presidential candidate who wants to cut that funding.

But if that doesn't appeal to you then don't post in the foreign policy section.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Unfortunately, US neocon lobby that has occupied Obama administration and US media would not do much for protecting interests of arab Christians and will release aid to Egypt. Just like it did almost nothing for Iraqi arab race Christians.

U.S. Military Aid to Egypt to Resume, Officials Say - NYTimes.com
    2 days ago ... To restart military aid, the Obama administration plans on sidestepping a new
    Congressional requirement that links assistance to the protection ...

http://www.nytimes.com/.../us-milita...cials-say.html

This is what US could do if Obama's masters really were interested in welfare our Arab brotheren Christains whose numbers have been dewindling sharply with recent liberation wars of Iraq, Libya and latest terrorism in Syria:

- Move Christians in Egypt, Iraq, Libya and Syria to Christian friendly Israel until ongoing neocon interventions in these countries are complete. If Israel does not open its doors for arab race refugees, bring them to US which will be a good longterm investment anyway to increase arab representation in US Congress that has shown almost complete disregard for welfare of arab Christians in previous wars planning

- Cut off all aid to Egypt and all other countries in mideast that do not treat arabs who who believe in Christ as equals

In retaliation, Islamists might cut off gas supply to Israel permanently, so be it:

Egypt's gas pipeline to Israel attacked for 13th time |
    Mar 5, 2012 ... Egypt's gas pipeline to Israel was attacked for the 13th time in a year.

http://www.jta.org/.../egypts-gas-pi...-for-13th-time

- Obama administation should start supporting last standing Christian friendly Assad government in Syria and send it aid to fight against Saudi/Israeli supported terrorist groups that are trying to replace it with radical regime like new Libyan/Iraqi/Egyptian governments

Any other solution ideas about what US can do to help our arab Christian brethren in their time of need?

But knowing our current Congress lobbies that has almost no arabs but many supporters of Israel, it will put pressure on Egypt to protect interests of Israel and let arab Christian hang dry just as it did to Iraqi arab Christians many of whom are even today in refugee camps in other countroes almost a decade after Iraq Liberation.
    Last edited by moderate libertarian; 03-18-2012 at 05:09 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by moderate libertarian View Post
    Unfortunately, US neocon lobby that has occupied Obama administration and US media would not do much for protecting interests of arab Christians and will release aid to Egypt. Just like it did almost nothing for Iraqi arab race Christians.
    This is what US could do if Obama's masters really were interested in welfare our Arab brotheren Christains whose numbers have been dewindling sharply with recent liberation wars of Iraq, Libya and latest terrorism in Syria:

- Move Christians in Egypt, Iraq, Libya and Syria to Christian friendly Israel until ongoing neocon interventions in these countries are complete. If Israel does not open its doors for arab race refugees, bring them to US which will be a good longterm investment anyway to increase arab representation in US Congress that has shown almost complete disregard for welfare of arab Christians in previous wars planning
    There are more than a million Arab Christians in the US already. Regardless the US could make it easier for oppressed people to move here.

- Cut off all aid to Egypt and all other countries in mideast that do not treat arabs who who believe in Christ as equals
    We should cut off aid to all countries seeing as we're broke.

In retaliation, Islamists might cut off gas supply to Israel permanently, so be it:

Egypt's gas pipeline to Israel attacked for 13th time |
    Mar 5, 2012 ... Egypt's gas pipeline to Israel was attacked for the 13th time in a year.

http://www.jta.org/.../egypts-gas-pi...-for-13th-time
    They'll deal with it. Not us.

- Obama administation should start supporting last standing Christian friendly Assad government in Syria and send it aid to fight against Saudi/Israeli supported terrorist groups that are trying to replace it with radical regime like new Libyan/Iraqi/Egyptian governments
    I hope this is your strange form of sarcasm. The solution is not to send US taxpayer dollars to a dictatorship in Syria.

Any other solution ideas about what US can do to help our arab Christian brethren in their time of need?
    Prayers. And diplomatic pressure.

There are more than a million Arab Christians in the US already. Regardless the US could make it easier for oppressed people to move here.
    If you know, I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression there were fewer arabs than that. Do you have some idea how many arabs are in US Congress and current Obama administration? Almost none, hence no one looks out for their intrests in mideast.

We should cut off aid to all countries seeing as we're broke.
    Agreed. Why you think that doesn't happen?

I hope this is your strange form of sarcasm. The solution is not to send US taxpayer dollars to a dictatorship in Syria.
    Not sarcasm, you think Christian friendly secular Syrian government will survive with just prayers while violent terrorist groups maybe be getting aid from Saudi/Israeli regimes and even few neocon groups in US?

Prayers. And diplomatic pressure.
    Ok, let's pray. May God's hand work mysteriously and spread freedom, peace and racial equality all across mideast and the world without burdening tax payers.

Quote Originally Posted by moderate libertarian View Post
    If you know, I'll take your word for it. I was under the impression there were fewer arabs than that.
    There are about 1.5 million Arabs in the US. The large majority are Christian.

Do you have some idea how many arabs are in US Congress and current Obama administration? Almost none, hence no one looks out for their intrests in mideast.
    You don't need to be Arab to care about Arabs. Most of the people that donated to Haiti after the earthquake weren't Haitian.

Agreed. Why you think that doesn't happen?
    Because our government doesn't give a $#@! about them. Or they're incompetent. Or a combination of the two.

Not sarcasm, you think Christian friendly secular Syrian government will survive with just prayers while violent terrorist groups maybe be getting aid from Saudi/Israeli regimes and even few neocon groups in US?
    I don't think the current Syrian dictator is a good guy so I wouldn't advocate sending US taxpayer dollars despite your belief that he is pro-Christian. I also doubt your claims that Israel is funding the people fighting him. It's a civil war and I doubt most of the people on either side of this conflict are buddies with Israel.

Ok, let's pray. May God's hand work mysteriously and spread freedom, peace and racial equality all across mideast and the world without burdening tax payers.
    Your sarcasm is noted.

Power to the primitive Sunni fundamentalists aka Al Qaida! This seems to be the law of the land, backed by Western powers unfortunately.
    Last edited by JuicyG; 03-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    Let`s get Ron Paul into top 10 to generate headlines. We need more people.

"What does not kill me, makes me stronger."
    - Friedrich Nietzsche, philosopher (1844-1900), Twilight of the Idols

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    - Arthur Schopenhauer, philosopher (1788 - 1860)

https://twitter.com/#!/JuicyGrabs

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I just hope that the new Egyptian government doesn't stab Palestinians in the back like Mubarak and Sadat did. Hopefully they support Hamas.
    Did you just say that you hope the new government supports a terrorist group?

Bump for reply
    Last edited by DerailingDaTrain; 03-19-2012 at 03:05 PM.