Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is piercing a baby's ears "abuse"/violation of NAP?

Is piercing a baby's ears "abuse"/violation of NAP?

I had my daughter's ears pierced when she was 6 months old.

I know a lot of people here are against infant circumcision, are you also against piercing a baby's ears?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes. The decision to pierce any part of one's body should only be made by an adult.

I'd probably have waited until they were old enough to ask for it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I'd probably have waited until they were old enough to ask for it themselves.
    I was actually going to get them pierced right after she was born, but they didn't offer that service at the hospital. We waited till she was 6 months only because we spent the entire summer in Mexico and didn't want to pierce them there.

One of the reasons I wanted to get her ears pierced was because old ladies would always say "oh what a cute boy!" even when she was dressed head to toe in pink!!!

I guess it's also a cultural thing, my mom had hers pierced when she was a few days old, same with my girl cousins.

They are pretty cute in the earrings, it's true. You can get magnetic ones, but that's probably not a good idea for a young baby.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 04-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.

I was gonna get my boy cut, just cuz even though my wife objected. but she left the decision up to me.
    I found out they wanted a couple hundred bucks to do it and I decided if he wanted it done he could wait until he earns enough money to pay for it himself.
    Cut = circumcision?

If he wants it later in life it's going to HURT and that's a pain he'll remember forever. My friend had it done when he was 13 or so, still remembers the pain.

I personally will have every son I have circumsized. I know, I know, I'm a horrible person, a child abuser, a sociopath.

I, however, can't imagine comparing piercing and circumcision. If my daughter no longer wants her ears pierced, she can just take the earrings out and let it heal. Hope she doesn't do that though, girls without one piercing on each ear looks strange to me.

Edit: you could have "lent" him the money and charged it back (with interest) when he turned 18
    Last edited by eduardo89; 03-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fan View Post
    Yes. The decision to pierce any part of one's body should only be made by an adult.
    Waiting till adulthood seems a little extreme if we are talkin a basic ear piercing, but I would not pierce an infants ears either.

I'd think whenever they are old enough to ask for it, carry on a conversation about it, understand the consequences and responsibility (pain, cleaning etc) it would be reasonable to allow them to do so in a safe manner.

When I was in 6th grade I wasn't allowed to get my ear pierced, So I took a piece of the "spring thing" in a spiral notebook and jammed it in my ear during school. Unfortunately, some of other kids that did that ended up with infections.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa
    Liberty works best not because liberty is without responsibility, but because responsibility is part of the deal. Capitalism works best not because capitalists love us and want us to be happy, but because the more government you have, the more government they can buy, and if they have no government to buy then all they can do instead is compete--compete to serve us better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ʇɔɐ ʇoıɹʇɐd
    I heart BTC! - 1AesnP1c7wyjzJhaKZajkixo9tthZRQzjB

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Cut = circumcision?
    If he wants it later in life it's going to HURT and that's a pain he'll remember forever. My friend had it done when he was 13 or so, still remembers the pain.
    Edit: you could have "lent" him the money and charged it back (with interest) when he turned 18
    yeah, but it will be his choice and his money. Cant charge him a loan without him agreeing to it, otherwise you are making the argument that he could later sue me for stealing it from him.

It probably violates NAP, but not enough to get the government involved.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

*looks strange*

Her body, her choice.
    His body, his choice.

All there is to that, imo.

On the note of it healing, the holes don't always close up. They also don't always stay even as a girl grows. To some, that's not a big deal, but to others, it is.
    For her sake, I hope she likes them.

Personally, I would wait for a child to ask before even thinking of piercings.
    Last edited by Invi; 03-13-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Yes, but there are plenty of things that violate NAP that I have no problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    Yes, but there are plenty of things that violate NAP that I have no problem with.
    That's how it starts. Then, next you know you are writing love messages on missles, doing keg stands in Bush's garage and high fiving bill kristol while watching bombing footage.

I personally will have every son I have circumsized. I know, I know, I'm a horrible person, a child abuser, a sociopath.
    I beg you to reconsider. What are your reasons for wanting the procedure to be done?
    Red: the blood of angry men
    Black: the dark of ages past
    Red: a world about to dawn
    Black: the night that ends at last!

Cut = circumcision?

I, however, can't imagine comparing piercing and circumcision. If my daughter no longer wants her ears pierced, she can just take the earrings out and let it heal. Hope she doesn't do that though, girls without one piercing on each ear looks strange to me.

Why? The hygiene myth has been quite thoroughly debunked by every reputable medical organization and it's not a cultural norm in the vast majority of the world. You clearly know that it's a painful procedure. Why put an infant through it?

ETA: If your daughter decides she doesn't like the peircings, she can always take them out and let them heal. There's no analog to this with circumcision. It's possible to "restore" using stretching techniques, but the unique tissue and nerve endings cannot be replaced.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-13-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Restore America Now View Post
    I beg you to reconsider. What are your reasons for wanting the procedure to be done?
    Health, aesthetics, tradition, and I just don't see much merit to the opposing arguments.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Health, aesthetics, tradition, and I just don't see much merit to the opposing arguments.
    Am I the only person that can't read/hear that word and not automatically have this playing in my head?

Am I the only person that can't read/hear that word and not automatically have this playing in my head?
    I think of this whenever I hear the word tradition (even includes the song)

Last edited by eduardo89; 03-13-2012 at 04:32 PM.

See my above post. All you've got are aesthetics and tradition (the latter doesn't make sense because it's not tradition in Spain or Mexico or the vast majority of the world). Aesthetics are purely subjective and as far as such procedures go, the decision is not up to you (ethically, morally, or otherwise) unless it somehow becomes a medical emergency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I had both my daughters' ears pierced when they were infants. Both still have pierced ears, neither one of them regret it. One even has a pierced tongue and belly-button now.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

You don't see any merit to your child being able to have a full sexual experience as God intended? Circumcision violates the child's liberty and a right to a full body and genital integrity. It does not prevent against HIV or any other kind of disease. Circumcision leads to higher instances of erectile disfunction. No medical association in the world recommends the procedure. The US is one of the only few countries on the planet who still does it. Hygiene takes an extra five seconds in the shower to care for it. Circumcised men's sexual function is severely crippled and alters the mechanics of intercourse.

You might want to take a few minutes to look through this site. http://www.circumstitions.com/
    Red: the blood of angry men
    Black: the dark of ages past
    Red: a world about to dawn
    Black: the night that ends at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I had both my daughters' ears pierced when they were infants. Both still have pierced ears, neither one of them regret it. One even has a pierced tongue and belly-button now.
    The latter two I'd freak if my daughter got. (that's probably not the best emoticon for this!)

Quote Originally Posted by Restore America Now View Post
    You don't see any merit to your child being able to have a full sexual experience as God intended? Circumcision violates the child's liberty and a right to a full body and genital integrity. It does not prevent against HIV or any other kind of disease. Circumcision leads to higher instances of erectile disfunction. No medical association in the world recommends the procedure. The US is one of the only few countries on the planet who still does it. Hygiene takes an extra five seconds in the shower to care for it. Circumcised men's sexual function is severely crippled and alters the mechanics of intercourse.

You might want to take a few minutes to look through this site. http://www.circumstitions.com/
    See, I don't buy any of those arguments. It doesn't deminish sex. It does not "cripple or alter" the mechanics of intercourse. It isn't "genital mutilation".

I don't think piercing a baby's ear is a big deal. But one day at the park when I pierced a baby's ear the mother got all freaked and called the cops. I had to hoof it out of there and can't go back.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Eh. Piercing ears is not as terrible, as it does not greatly interfere with any function. However, I would (and most places suggest this as well) wait until the baby is old enough not to injure herself with the earrings, and at an age where they can "complain" about the pain associated with infection.

The latter two I'd freak if my daughter got. (that's probably not the best emoticon for this!)
    Well, she's 25 now. She did it after she moved out of the house at 19. I had no say-so. My oldest is 29 tomorrow. She never pierced anything else but she has a couple of tats. So does the 25 year old. But neither of them have tats that are visable. Whatever. They're grown women, all I can do is sigh about it.
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I don't think piercing a baby's ear is a big deal. But one day at the park when I pierced a baby's ear the mother got all freaked and called the cops. I had to hoof it out of there and can't go back.
    Why were you piercing it at the park?!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Well, she's 25 now. She did it after she moved out of the house at 19. I had no say-so. My oldest is 29 tomorrow. She never pierced anything else but she has a couple of tats. So does the 25 year old. But neither of them have tats that are visable. Whatever. They're grown women, all I can do is sigh about it.
    No matter her age, I'll freak out if she gets tattoos or more piercings! Not much I can do about it once she turns 18 apart from freak out haha

See, I don't buy any of those arguments. It doesn't deminish sex. It does not "cripple or alter" the mechanics of intercourse. It isn't "genital mutilation".
    I was circumcised as an infant but I left that decision for my son to make. He is 19 now and I recently told him I would pay for the procedure if he wanted it. His response was "$#@! no!"
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Why were you piercing it at the park?!
    (psst . . . was a joke)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast