Thread: St. Patrick & tax collectors

St. Patrick & tax collectors

It's interesting that Christian history has a lot to do with taxation and tax collectors. Looks like St. Patrick had issues with it too.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...r-16032012.htm

To me, money, debt, and the government's role in property rights is a central issue in Christianity. This is not exactly Austrian, but my view is that government should do nothing other than enforce property rights, and money definition is an extension of property rights. National borders are an extension of property rights as well. "Give to Caesar that which is Caesar" is an issue of money. The State should define money and nothing else. It gets into trouble when it tries do do other things like wage wars and enforce cultureal biases.
    Last edited by furface; 03-17-2012 at 02:27 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Saint" Patrick, as well as any other Saint, are CATHOLICS.

The bolded is the key problem with the modern world.

The State has no moral or justifiable authority to define money. Legal tender laws are a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by furface View Post
    It's interesting that Christian history has a lot to do with taxation and tax collectors. Looks like St. Patrick had issues with it too.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...r-16032012.htm

To me, money, debt, and the government's role in property rights is a central issue in Christianity. This is not exactly Austrian, but my view is that government should do nothing other than enforce property rights, and money definition is an extension of property rights. National borders are an extension of property rights as well. "Give to Caesar that which is Caesar" is an issue of money. The State should define money and nothing else. It gets into trouble when it tries do do other things like wage wars and enforce cultureal biases.

The bolded is the key problem with the modern world.
    Sorry, money is mainly defined by resource ownership and ownership is defined by the State. The two are separable only among the simplistic & naive.

"Saint" Patrick, as well as any other Saint, are CATHOLICS.
    Yea? I'm not getting you. Are you claiming that Catholics aren't Christian?

FlatIron

It appears so. Though, Catholicism is a group of Christianity, as well as Protestants, Baptists, etc.

You could not be more wrong.

So property didn't exist before the State existed?

Pay attention to RON PAUL, please.

Sorry, money is mainly defined by resource ownership and ownership is defined by the State. The two are separable only among the simplistic & naive.

Next you are going to be telling me that st. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Apparently, God isn't a big fan or taxes and tax collectors, either. Some of you will say, "but, what about the tithe?" The tithe was not a tax. The tithe was not enforced. Failure to tithe carried no legal penalty. The tithe was an instruction to the faithful, just like the instruction for Christians to be baptized...a demonstration of faithfulness.

Here's what God instructed Samuel to tell Israel, when Israel clamored "Give us a KING!" One of the many things that God warned Israel about was that a king would tax them. It seems clear to me that God wouldn't warn against something He favored. He also warns against conscription, btw:

1 SAMUEL 8

10 ¶ And Samuel told all the words of the LORD unto the people that asked of him a king.
    11 And he said, This will be the manner of the king that shall reign over you: He will take your sons, and appoint them for himself, for his chariots, and to be his horsemen; and some shall run before his chariots.
    12 And he will appoint him captains over thousands, and captains over fifties; and will set them to ear his ground, and to reap his harvest, and to make his instruments of war, and instruments of his chariots.
    13 And he will take your daughters to be confectionaries, and to be cooks, and to be bakers.
    14 And he will take your fields, and your vineyards, and your oliveyards, even the best of them, and give them to his servants.
    15 And he will take the tenth of your seed, and of your vineyards, and give to his officers, and to his servants.
    16 And he will take your menservants, and your maidservants, and your goodliest young men, and your asses, and put them to his work.
    17 He will take the tenth of your sheep: and ye shall be his servants.
    18 And ye shall cry out in that day because of your king which ye shall have chosen you; and the LORD will not hear you in that day.
    19 ¶ Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;
    20 that we also may be like all the nations

Yes. True Christians don't accept evolution, molest children, and shake hands with Hitler.

Yes. True Christians don't accept evolution, molest children, and shake hands with Hitler.
    LOL, Molest children, shake hands with Hitler, and OMG! accept evolution! They're all equally insidious!

Voluntary Man, great example in 1 Samuel 8. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Next you are going to be telling me that st. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland.

If I recall , he was not even Irish , or , always Cathoilic , I think he was kidnapped by pirates as a teenager , and that s how he ended up there .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    If I recall , he was not even Irish , or , always Cathoilic , I think he was kidnapped by pirates as a teenager , and that s how he ended up there .
    Correct, he was not born Irish, and only later became Christian, he was also not born Patrick.

But , if he thought taxes sucked , I am thinking that would make him a pretty good Saint...
    Last edited by oyarde; 03-18-2012 at 09:31 PM.

LOL, Molest children, shake hands with Hitler, and OMG! accept evolution! They're all equally insidious!
    Well , I most definately would not molest children , or shake hands with Hitler ...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    collectivism at its finest?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    Sure, if that's your belief, then Protestants aren't true Christians either.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    Sure, if that's your belief, then Protestants aren't true Christians either.
    I dunno , may be hard to prove that statistically , how do you define Protestant ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Harris View Post
    collectivism at its finest?
    I do not like collectivism , what made you say that ? The evolution thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I dunno , may be hard to prove that statistically , how do you define Protestant ?
    How do you define Catholic?
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." - Thomas Jefferson

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" - Sam Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Gumba of Liberty View Post
    How do you define Catholic?
    LOL , pretty good , I am impressed . I only know a few living Catholics ( not on this board ) , I do not like to be pretentious , but I may not consider them to be particularly " devout " , that I am aware of ... but they are all fine people , quite sure none of them would have supported any of the worst grievences committed by the Church throughout History ....