Thread: Using state health care to pay for cancer-related hospital visits?

Using state health care to pay for cancer-related hospital visits?

So I had cancer and got a bone marrow transplant..my family has been able to pay most of the way as our health insurance provider covered most things. However we weretabbed with a bill for over $5000 and can't afford to pay it. I'm vehemently against using state health care..is this an okay thing to do? I can't find it inside me to cave into the financial pressure. I don't feel as if I'm entitled to anything but if this is temporary and keeps my credit score from plummeting just because I got cancer..is it alright? Doesn't feel right but the circumstances make it seem like my only option. This sucks.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Massachusetts View Post
    So I had cancer and got a bone marrow transplant..my family has been able to pay most of the way as our health insurance provider covered most things. However we weretabbed with a bill for over $5000 and can't afford to pay it. I'm vehemently against using state health care..is this an okay thing to do? I can't find it inside me to cave into the financial pressure. I don't feel as if I'm entitled to anything but if this is temporary and keeps my credit score from plummeting just because I got cancer..is it alright? Doesn't feel right but the circumstances make it seem like my only option. This sucks.
    In the last thread you started several people gave you great links and advice on how you could help yourself the right way, NATURALLY. I do not feel sorry for anyone with cancer that complains about the costs or inconveniences associated with modern medicine. I cannot understand why people trust doctors just because they have a piece of paper saying that they can regurgitate information that was used to brainwash them for 7 years in medical school...

This may sound "harsh" to some people but I watched my mother suffer for 3 years fighting cancer with modern medicine. If I had found out about the natural remedies sooner, I am positive she would still be here today. It seems like someone in the community passes away from cancer every other week; and everyone cries and feels sad but when you try to talk to them, or people currently battling cancer, about natural cures, you might as well be speaking blasphemy. The information is looked down upon, scorned, laughed at, ridiculed, and disregarded. No one wants to hear the truth...SOUND FAMILIAR? (hint: It's who this forum is dedicated to )
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

If you pay taxes and you can get that value back, do it. You were stolen from - if the robber offers you reprise...take it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrestlingwes_8 View Post
    In the last thread you started several people gave you great links and advice on how you could help yourself the right way, NATURALLY. I do not feel sorry for anyone with cancer that complains about the costs or inconveniences associated with modern medicine. I cannot understand why people trust doctors just because they have a piece of paper saying that they can regurgitate information that was used to brainwash them for 7 years in medical school...

This may sound "harsh" to some people but I watched my mother suffer for 3 years fighting cancer with modern medicine. If I had found out about the natural remedies sooner, I am positive she would still be here today. It seems like someone in the community passes away from cancer every other week; and everyone cries and feels sad but when you try to talk to them, or people currently battling cancer, about natural cures, you might as well be speaking blasphemy. The information is looked down upon, scorned, laughed at, ridiculed, and disregarded. No one wants to hear the truth...SOUND FAMILIAR? (hint: It's who this forum is dedicated to )
    He's not asking you to feel sorry for him, and "natural" cures are a choice. Frankly, I've seen a lot of people try things both ways, and people in both camps still wind up quite dead. I would think there's a way better place somewhere ELSE for your venom.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    He's not asking you to feel sorry for him, and "natural" cures are a choice. Frankly, I've seen a lot of people try things both ways, and people in both camps still wind up quite dead. I would think there's a way better place somewhere ELSE for your venom.
    Yeah, you're so compassionate and caring and I'm the bad guy for stating the truth. Yes, some people still do die from natural remedies but many times it is due to late detection or trying to go the chemo, radiation route first. The key is prevention but many people on their death beds have cured themselves using methods such as the Gerson Therapy, etc.

Go ahead and call it venom but I am merely being blunt. Thousands of people die each day because they are being deceived by modern medicine, thus I have no sympathy for someone complaining about the costs associated with it.
    Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it ~Thomas Paine

Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security ~Norman Vincent Peale

Yeah, you're so compassionate and caring and I'm the bad guy for stating the truth. Yes, some people still do die from natural remedies but many times it is due to late detection or trying to go the chemo, radiation route first. The key is prevention but many people on their death beds have cured themselves using methods such as the Gerson Therapy, etc.

Go ahead and call it venom but I am merely being blunt. Thousands of people die each day because they are being deceived by modern medicine, thus I have no sympathy for someone complaining about the costs associated with it.
    Try to understand this: you rode in here on your white horse to chat up the fact that it's someone's own fault that they owe money for treating their disease how they saw fit. I am under the distinct impression that, if this same poster could not afford "natural" remedies, you would not be bothered to give enough of a damn to help pay that bill, either.

There was no crying, no whining, no desire for sympathy. It is the same discussion that's been had on the forums before. I wonder what silly pleasure you get out of pointing out that they should have treated themselves another way. It's probably the same giddy glee you got from derailing the thread?

Some people's children.

I am under the distinct impression that, if this same poster could not afford "natural" remedies, you would not be bothered to give enough of a damn to help pay that bill, either.
    There aren't too many people that can't afford fruit, vegetables and a juicer, expect for the homeless

I wonder what silly pleasure you get out of pointing out that they should have treated themselves another way. It's probably the same giddy glee you got from derailing the thread?
    I guess you are entitled to you're own false assumptions

This has become an issue once again. I've clashed with my mother because she thinks I need to do this taxpayer funded MassHealth and that there is no other solutions.

Maybe you guys could help me come up with some other ideas.

I don't see anything wrong at all in asking friends and family for financial assistance. In that situation it becomes a charitable donation and the money I'm using that belongs to other people is being given at their own free will and not plundered from the government.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I too have medical bills from my ongoing cancer treatments that I can't pay, but I also am in a situation where i have no paper assets other than the equity in the house my wife and I own. What little wealth I have managed to accumulate is already under the control of my wife, and I deliberately leave it with her despite the fact that she basically can't handle me anymore and forced me out of the house about 10 months ago. I am now on social security disability welfare as my sole income source and that can't be touched or garnished by creditors. I do have insurance through my wife's employer, but that may go away soon since my wife and I are now separated, and I have insurance through medicare, so that's more welfare.

So I simply don't pay the bills I can't afford, and I tell the creditors my situation, and that either someday I'll make them a settlement offer (you can settle old medical debt for as little as 30 cents on the dollar) or that they will eventually get a letter from my estate informing them I am deceased and the estate has no assets and they won't get paid. They already got whatever the insurance gave them so they aren't getting nothing, but they have zero legal recourse to collect on this debt from me either.

I don't know your situation, and if someone else has signed for any of this debt then they are also liable, but at least in my case I no longer worry about it because I am not capable of generating the income to pay it off and I can't be collected on.

Now I'd much rather be wealthy enough to pay my bills and still have enough to eat and live, and maybe someday I'll figure out how to do that again. But probably not.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

You are not at fault for the unworkable health care system government and stupid voters have foisted upon us. In a free market your treatment would not have been a budget buster. Furthermore, you have paid massive taxes into the system for years. I say get some of it back. Besides, the system is broken and it isn't going to be fixed by you suffering. It will not be fixed until it totally collapses. In the meantime, you might as well get a little scrap before the bankers scoop it up.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

I agree with Barefoot.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Do whatever is needed for yourself . God bless .

If you have insurance, how do they not cover a 5000 bill?

Hell. If you paid your income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, tax taxes, any tax then you shouldn't feel guilty about taking back what's yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post

A lot of money that added up and was too expensive for the health insurance to cover.
    SUPPORT LIBERTY IN 2016

A lot of money that added up and was too expensive for the health insurance to cover.
    Then they are overcharging, let them eat the difference.

Unless someone other than yourself actually signed for your debt no one can come after your parents assets, even if you are on your parents insurance.

Now if your parents signed financial release forms then that's a different issue, they put themselves on the line and it could really get messy if they have assets.

I just talked today to a creditor about a $21,000 bill for chemo, outrageous and probably 3 X's the actual cost involved at least. Both my primary and secondary insurance has paid and the numbnuts still think they need ~$2,000 from me.

I told them I'm disabled, on SSDI, have no assets, and will likely die before I can afford to pay them so they will get a letter from my estate and zero money.

The person simply said 'ok, thank you for letting us know, have a good day' and hung up.

Don't let it affect you emotionally, it's not worth it.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cancer is not some random occurrence that just strikes out of nowhere like a meteorite falling to earth.

You do not know how disheartening it is watch people continue to go down this ridiculous road of fake cancer treatment that not only doesn't cure you, it bankrupts you in the process. I watched my mother die this way and if I can get one person to realize that what most doctors and all insurance companies tell them is complete bull$#@!, then I'll be a happy man.

So many of our friends, family and neighbors die each year and yet there is a way to stop it; but everyone chooses to ignore it because their EGO is too damn big...it really makes me sad

Cancer is not some random occurrence that just strikes out of nowhere like a meteorite falling to earth.

You do not know how disheartening it is watch people continue to go down this ridiculous road of fake cancer treatment that not only doesn't cure you, it bankrupts you in the process. I watched my mother die this way and if I can get one person to realize that what most doctors and all insurance companies tell them is complete bull$#@!, then I'll be a happy man.

So many of our friends, family and neighbors die each year and yet there is a way to stop it; but everyone chooses to ignore it because their EGO is too damn big...it really makes me sad
    And you have cured how many people?

I know about alternative treatments and they will bankrupt you just as fast as traditional treatments, nobody works for free.

Western medicine is allopathic in it's approach, and within limits can work very well.

Sadly though there is almost no consideration given to naturopathic medicine by most Doctors in the USA, and this is largely as a result of government interference in medical practice over the last 8 decades or so.

But naturopathic doctors charge for their services too, and their services are not covered by our government regulated insurance industry, so going down this road can bankrupt someone also.

A federal healthcare plan is unconstitutional and should be boycotted at all costs by citizens.
    A state may have a citizen funded healthcare plan. As long as it is in keeping with the state's constitution then it should be used when needed. You and other citizens have paid into this plan. It is what it is there for. It should not be abused but neither should it be ignored on some moral principle. YOUR money helped to fund this plan. If you had remained healthy would you wish that other citizens in the same situation as yours forgo the health plan that is paid into by everyone and created for just such purpose?
    Last edited by phill4paul; 04-14-2012 at 06:47 AM.

((((((WIlliamC and Massachusetts)))))

Do anything that takes care of you. I think cancer is a product of the government make the *&^)#$@ pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    ((((((WIlliamC and Massachusetts)))))

Do anything that takes care of you. I think cancer is a product of the government make the *&^)#$@ pay.
    Thank you.

As I am a trained scientist I can read the same medical literature my oncologist and surgeons read, and I know exactly what their options are and what they can and can't do. There is no mystery or confusion as to the medical aspect of this in my mind.

My main problem is a complete lack of help from anyone throughout this ordeal, I've had to do everything for myself and indeed have met with active resistance when I tried to do some things for myself. There is much I'd like to do but I can't do it by myself and I can't afford to pay others.

So I just muddle along the best I can and try not to worry about it.

At least I came to grips with my own mortality in my teens, so that doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    There are a lot of ways to wind up with that much of a bill, or more.

1. Insurance policies have limits for certain treatments, and a lifetime maximum. If you add up surgery, physician billable hours, supplies, DME, wound care, medication, lab services, and any number of other things... it is quite easy to exceed those maximums.

2. Insurance policies have out of pocket and deductible amounts that must be met prior to your "real" coverage kciking in. If I go in and have $10,000 worth of services, and I have a $500 deductible and a $1,000 out of pocket, and the services are covered at 90% once my deductible is met, my bill will look like this:

$10,000 (total cost)
    -$500 (I owe this; my deductible)
    -$950 (I owe this; it goes towards meeting my out of pocket)

At the end of my insurance paying for this $10,000 in services, I will have paid $1,450, and there will still be $50 to be met in my out of pocket.

3. Some services are excluded entirely.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

There is much I'd like to do but I can't do it by myself and I can't afford to pay others.
    What would you like to do?

just give them a Spanish-sounding name and fake SS# and your health care is 100% free

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    What would you like to do?
    Basically devote every waking hour to getting as healthy as possible through diet and exercise and a rational herbal program until such time I kill the cancer or it kills me.

But I don't have the money to pay for this nor the support it would take to push myself that hard for so long.

The couple of times I've been able to have lasted 2 to 3 months until other aspects of my life fell apart and I could no longer sustain that level of activity.

But I can certainly attest to the fact that while I was doing this I was getting healthier, I could feel it.

((((WilliamC))))))

If I could I would be where you are helping you. If it was me I would get some blue green algae in powder form and add it to everything without cooking it. Just go to a health food store and buy one bottle it will cost between 25-30 dollars you could make it last up to 2 months if you take just a small amount each day. Blue green algae is known as a supper food. It has all the trace elements and complete essential amino acids and omega 3 fatty acids. Given that have not been well eating small amounts would be better for you. You could put it in cereal or anything just don't cook it because it will loose it's potency.

We are all with you. Don't give up.