Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are we supposed to be against the Koch Brothers again?

Why are we supposed to be against the Koch Brothers again?

Serious question.

They fund FreedomWorks, Reason Foundation, Cato Institute, Institute for Justice. Not sure why we're supposed to be against them exactly. Seems like Lew Rockwell just hates them because they aren't anarchists.

[Oops...meant to post this in General Politics. If mod sees this please move it there.]
    Last edited by Zatch; 03-08-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    Zatch

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Its on of those internal rivalries that hurts the movement and prevents it from gaining any traction.

Cato/Reason refuses to associate with Mises/JBS. Stuff like that.

didn't people get annoyed sorta when they both took a shine to sec' trey grayson and william johnson but not gurley L. martin or rand paul?
    why don't we wait until they do an obvious likewise!!! why rile the two of them up until they do a likewise faux-pas!! lets think party unity!

The animosity seems mostly one sided to me. LRC trashes Cato/Reason constantly but you almost never see Reason/Cato trashing us.
    Zatch

I love CATO and Reason. While I also love Mises, it would be a shame to see one man gain control over such an important movement, no matter who the man is.

thanks for the info , was wondering what all this was about.

Cato/Reason was very tough on Ron Paul 4 years ago. Also Cato/Reason is "Bob Barr" type of libertarian.
    FreedomWorks was mentioned by the OP, they are the leading fake Tea Party "chaired by former U.S. House Majority Leader Dick Armey".

Quote Originally Posted by Zatch View Post
    The animosity seems mostly one sided to me. LRC trashes Cato/Reason constantly but you almost never see Reason/Cato trashing us.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by Aratus View Post
    didn't people get annoyed sorta when they both took a shine to sec' trey grayson and william johnson but not gurley L. martin or rand paul?
    why don't we wait until they do an obvious likewise!!! why rile the two of them up until they do a likewise faux-pas!! lets think party unity!
    http://www.cato.org/publications/com...ent-republican

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy Vidual View Post
    Cato/Reason was very tough on Ron Paul 4 years ago. Also Cato/Reason is "Bob Barr" type of libertarian.
    FreedomWorks was mentioned by the OP, they are the leading fake Tea Party "chaired by former U.S. House Majority Leader Dick Armey".
    No, they are far from the "Bob Barr" type of libertarian.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    No, they are far from the "Bob Barr" type of libertarian.
    Here is just one example:
    Why the Beltway Libertarians Are Trying to Smear Ron Paul
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

I know this is a large bump, but weren't the Koch brothers opposed to the Iraq War and Patriot Act?

They're also very philanthropic. David Koch has donated almost a billion dollars for things like cancer research/improving the arts/education. No matter who it is, or how rich they are, I can respect donations to such good causes.

Simple answer. The Koch brothers are crony-capitalists.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Probably because FreedomWorks, Reason Foundation, Cato Institute, Institute for Justice, all $#@!ing suck. The Cock brothers are gigantic frauds and they only pay lip service to liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatch View Post
    No, the Kochtopus does trash us. When they don't trash us, they ignore us. Now that we are popular, they are trying to co-opt us. They're slime. They deserve contempt from all liberty minded people.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
    Probably because FreedomWorks, Reason Foundation, Cato Institute, Institute for Justice, all $#@!ing suck. The Cock brothers are gigantic frauds and they only pay lip service to liberty.
    Cato Institute does not suck. The Koch Brothers may be trying to turn it into a mouth piece for the GOP but that doesn't mean they suck.

It goes both ways, they don't like Ron, they supported the great libertarian activist TREY GRAYSON, who was endorsed by Cheney and by Santorum, against Rand.... They are corporatists.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Simple answer. The Koch brothers are crony-capitalists.
    I can't blame them for playing the system...

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    It goes both ways, they don't like Ron, they supported the great libertarian activist TREY GRAYSON, who was endorsed by Cheney and by Santorum, against Rand.... They are corporatists.
    Yep, it makes me sick when I see liberty-minded people post links to Reason and CATO. Good thing they're fracturing now. Hopefully they never recover.

I can. They should have never stopped teaching Austrian Economics and betrayed Rothbard. Piss on them and their neocon-lite brand of libertarianism.
    Last edited by NewRightLibertarian; 03-31-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    I can. Remember that crony-capitalism involves buying off government representatives so that they will pass laws that benefit you.

It is immoral.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 03-31-2012 at 10:24 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

I can. Remember that crony-capitalism involves buying off government representatives so that they will pass laws that benefit you.

It is immoral.
    Yep, and that is what the Koch Bros are all about. They have been failures at working the system to pass libertarian reforms. Their strategy has been a failure through their thinktanks. But they have given money to some of the worst anti-libertarian Republican politicians you could ever imagine. So they try to grease the system. Any liberty-minded people who follows these people and their groups (Ed Crane ain't any better) over the Mises & JBS crew that includes the Pauls is tremendously misguided.

I do agree with them though, that we need to be engaged in Washington, D.C. Ron Paul has been serving as a one-man Mises Institute by having his educational lunches. When he is no longer there, the only place that say, new congressman, will have available to them in D.C. is CATO. I really wish the Mises Institute had a presence there and made themselves available.
    ================

I do agree with them though, that we need to be engaged in Washington, D.C. Ron Paul has been serving as a one-man Mises Institute by having his educational lunches. When he is no longer there, the only place that say, new congressman, will have available to them in D.C. is CATO. I really wish the Mises Institute had a presence there and made themselves available.
    Ron's made it so liberty candidates can get elected as long as we stay active and focused. We don't need a beltway thinktank apparatus to promote our views because we have the grassroots that can raise money and fund patriot candidates. Mises Institute had the right idea staying out of that toxic cesspool known as D.C. IMO

They're our friends when they're anti-Obama, anti-tax, anti-global warming, anti-health care, and Tea Party. But they're our biggest enemies when they're neocons, anti-corporate tax, anti-OWS.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    anti-corporate tax, anti-OWS.

Why are we supposed to be against the Koch Brothers again?

Because the liberals say your suppose too?

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Detroit View Post
    onlyrp is an obvious troll that somehow hasn't been banned yet, don't worry about the nonsense that he says

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Because the liberals say your suppose too?
    It's already been explained by many people in this thread. You read it?

Quote Originally Posted by DerailingDaTrain View Post
    Cato Institute does not suck. The Koch Brothers may be trying to turn it into a mouth piece for the GOP but that doesn't mean they suck.
    That ship sailed 30 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    Ron's made it so liberty candidates can get elected as long as we stay active and focused. We don't need a beltway thinktank apparatus to promote our views because we have the grassroots that can raise money and fund patriot candidates. Mises Institute had the right idea staying out of that toxic cesspool known as D.C. IMO
    Again, Dr. Paul did not feel that way, or he wouldn't have been hosting educational lunches on economics for years on end.
    ================

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast