Thread: JohnGaltDay.com, needs your input

JohnGaltDay.com, needs your input

Hello,

I'm trying to start a movement for a national, un-federal, business holiday.

This will be a day when all small businesses close their doors and puts a sign in the window, "Closed in observance of John Galt Day."

I am trying to find the best date to select for this day. I think it should be in June or August, I do not want it to coincide or interfere with another holiday or season if possible.

I think a summer day is best because it would be during the "slow news" season and I ruled out July for July 4th.

I would like to find some tie to business or entrepreneurialism.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the date?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would imagine small businesses are hurting from the economy and wouldn't want to even risk one day off. Also, there is a possibility that OWS idiots would break windows or something in retraliation

May 14th will be the 125th anniversary of the death of Lysander Spooner, who was arguably the first self-aware antistatist black marketeer. That would be a *prime* choice for Galtday, providing it doesn't fall on a Sunday (anyone know?)

Then again, I already celebrate Lysander Spooner Day on January 19th. Bfor such a monumental and pivotal figure in libertarian history, the question is, is just one holiday enough?
    Last edited by BuddyRey; 03-07-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

Striking is for communists, I need money.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyrp View Post
    Striking is for communists, I need money.
    LOL
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

---Me

Bump for a great idea!

---John Lennon

---Me

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Bump for a great idea!
    Thank you for the bump. I will look into Spooner, but I prefer to celebrate a birth or event, not a death. And it's mighty close. I think we'll need more time to get the word out.

As for businesses hurting and not wanting to close a single day, I realize this is a consideration, but I also know as a business person that losing one days sales to preserve our way of life is an acceptable tradeoff. If this was 20 or even 10 years ago, I'd agree. But things have gotten so bad for small businesses, I think we are ready to risk one day of sales to bring attention to the 180 degree swing in how small businesses are treated now.

The regulation, the attacks, the never ending mandates and of course the taxes. But I just think the change in our culture. It used to be people aspired to be their own business person. Now it seems people want to "cash in" on some stock IPO, flipping houses, funds, etc. The idea of building a substantial business over the course of years is something I think lost.

So if anyone has more ideas for great date, please post here.

Thank you.

Perhaps June 16-Adam Smith's birthday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Perhaps June 16-Adam Smith's birthday.

I like that. Thank you. Here are some more:

Milton Freedman was born July 31st... pretty close to August.
    Hayek’s Birthday is May 8. prefer a little later in the year.
    King George III proclaims colonies to be in open rebellion Aug 22nd.