Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Liberty-minded Candidates for US Congress

List of Liberty-minded Candidates for US Congress

List updated on Aug 29, 2012.

General Election Candidates
    (Tuesday, November 6, 2012*)
    *Primary dates indicated below if Primary has not occurred yet.

US House
    ----------------------------------

Arizona

California

Tom McClintock (R-incumbent) CA-4 - (purity: ★★★★☆)
    Greg Imus (R) CA-5 - (purity: ★★★★☆)
    John Dennis (R) CA-12 - (purity: ★★★★★)
    Dana Rohrabacher (R-Incumbent) CA-48 - (purity: ★★☆☆☆)

Colorado

Tisha Casida (I) CO-3 - (purity: ★★★★★)

Florida

Calen Fretts (L) FL-1

Georgia

Paul Broun (R-incumbent) GA-10 - (purity: ★★★☆☆)
    Tom Graves (R-incumbent) GA-14 - (purity: ★★☆☆☆)

Idaho

Raul Labrador (R) ID-1 - (purity: ★★★★★)
    Rob Oates (L) ID-1 - (purity: ★★★★★)

Indiana

Kentucky

Thomas Massie (R) KY-4 - (purity: ★★★★★)

Maryland

Eric Knowles (R) MD-3

Michigan

Justin Amash (R-incumbent) MI-3 - (purity: ★★★★★)
    Kurt Haskell (D) MI-7 - (purity: ★★★★☆)
    Kerry Bentivolio (R) MI-11 - (purity: ★★★★★)

Minnesota

Missouri

New Hampshire
    Primary: September 11, 2012

Brendan Kelly (L) NH-1
    Rick Parent (R) NH-1
    Hardy Macia (L) NH-2
    Dennis Lamare (R) NH-2

New York

North Carolina

Walter Jones (R-incumbent) NC-3 - (purity: ★★★★☆)

North Dakota

Eric Olson (L)

Ohio

Richard Ehrbar (L) OH-3

Oregon

Art Robinson (R) OR-4 - (purity: ★★★★★)

Pennsylvania

Mike Koffenberger (L) PA-4

Tennessee

Texas

Patrick Hisel (L) TX-12 - (purity: ★★★★★)
    Steve Susman (L) TX-22
    Jessica Puente Bradshaw (R) TX-34
    Steve Stockman (R) TX-36 - (purity: ★★★★★)

Utah

Jason Chaffetz (R-incumbent) UT-3 - (purity: ★★★☆☆)

Virginia

Washington

John Koster (R) WA-1 (purity: ★★★★★)

US Senate
    -------------------------------------
    Arizona

Jeff Flake (R) - (purity: ★★★☆☆)

California

Florida

Connie Mack (R) - (purity: ★★★☆☆)

Indiana

Richard Mourdock (R) - (purity: ★★★☆☆)
    Andrew Horning (L)

Maine

Maryland

Daniel Bongino (R)

Michigan

Scotty Boman (L) - (purity: ★★★★★)

Minnesota

Kurt Bills (R) - (purity: ★★★★★)

Missouri

Montana

Dan Cox (L) - (purity: ★★★★★)

Nebraska

New Mexico

Jon Barrie (I) - (purity: ★★★★★)

New York

Chris Edes (L) - (purity: ★★★★★)

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island
    Primary: Sep 11, 2012

Barry Hinckley (R)

Tennessee

Texas

Ted Cruz (R) - (purity: ★★★★☆)

Virginia

Wisconsin

Green Purity indicates endorsement by Ron Paul.

Check out http://libertycandidates.com/ for more Liberty Candidate endorsements!
    Last edited by matt0611; 08-31-2012 at 05:19 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "You can prevent crimes by becoming a Police State. So if you advocate the Police State............the crime then will be against the American People and against Our Freedoms. And we will throw out so much of what Our Revolution was fought for." - Ron Paul, Nov. 22, 2011

You like Ben Swann? Let Raycom Media know!

Duplicate fail
    "You can prevent crimes by becoming a Police State. So if you advocate the Police State............the crime then will be against the American People and against Our Freedoms. And we will throw out so much of what Our Revolution was fought for." - Ron Paul, Nov. 22, 2011

You like Ben Swann? Let Raycom Media know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
    Thanks! Looks like a good candidate. But this list is only for US Congress and Senate. She's running for Iowa state senate.

I do need to start making a list of state candidates too, but that would be quite a task!

For TN, there is a guy named Zach Poskevich running for Senate against Bob Corker who seems to be very liberty minded (and seems to agree with Paul on foreign policy).

On another note, does anyone know who is running for Paul's seat in his district?

http://www.zachforsenate.com/

Remove Mandel; he is 100% Zionist neo-con. pro-wars, any war.

Another from California:

Jenny Worman for Congress in California 28th District (Hollywood, Burbank, Glendale)
    http://jennywormanforcongress.ning.com/
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 03-07-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

There is a sub-forum dedicated to 2012 Liberty Candidates:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdi...012-Candidates
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    There is a sub-forum dedicated to 2012 Liberty Candidates:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdi...012-Candidates
    Yup and no one ever sees that forum this has to be stickied here!
    Pledge to get Ron Paul to RUN in 2012!!!RunPaulRun

Newt Gingrich

TIRED of the media censoring of Paul www.blitzthemedia.com

Support http://www.operationbroadcastfreedom.com/ to get those great ads on TV in Iowa and NH!

Look at this excellent video to see why we must retake our country and how to do it!
    An Idea Whose Time Has Come - G. Edward Griffin - Freedom Force International

Josh Mandel doesn't belong on that list.
    "History has tried hard to teach us that we can't have good government under politicians. Now, to go and stick one at the very head of the government couldn't be wise." - Mark Twain

Twitter - @kevinmckenz
    Blog - Never Say Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    You do realize that there are libertarians that are not in lock step with Paul's non-interventionism? Just like there are many factions of every movement, there are many factions of libertarianism.

I don't know much about Mandel, but just pointing this fact about the policy differences out, because there are some that are not aware of this.

Do we know enough about these to know which ones are the priority, or which ones we stand the best chance of winning based on demographic? I'd rather focus on a few and win some rather than get close and lose in all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
    Ok thanks, I haven't vetted all these candidates (don't have the time to).

Oh well, can't be worse than Sherrod Brown I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul101.com View Post
    Do we know enough about these to know which ones are the priority, or which ones we stand the best chance of winning based on demographic? I'd rather focus on a few and win some rather than get close and lose in all of them.
    That's why I brought up a discussion about Rohrer and Scaringi in the PA thread. One is about 90% of what we like and can win, the other is 100% of what we like and has no chance whatsoever, both are running against an establishment picked candidate who is little of what we want. Foolish to dump money into a race that we can't win, only to see the establishment guy get it because we were trying for 100% instead of being pleased with 90%.

I am sure there are a lot of races like that if we examine them.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0611 View Post
    Ok thanks, I haven't vetted all these candidates (don't have the time to).

Oh well, can't be worse than Sherrod Brown I suppose...
    The thread title says these are Liberty-minded candidates yet some of them aren't?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaNY View Post
    The thread title says these are Liberty-minded candidates yet some of them aren't?
    I've skimmed over the candidates but I don't have time to vet all of them, all of them should be better than the incumbents though.

I was hoping that you all would give me some assistance of refining the list.

Perhaps we should properly vet all these candidates first?
    Please visit the Free Talk Live YouTube Channel

My twitter: @Samuel_E_Amer
    The best liberty videos on YouTube: Freedom

The Philosophy of Liberty
    www.mises.org
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

The Potential of the Free State Project

I've skimmed over the candidates but I don't have time to vet all of them, all of them should be better than the incumbents though.

I was hoping that you all would give me some assistance of refining the list.
    That can be a problem, because there are many differing opinions on what defines a liberty-minded candidate and what does not. One only needs to take a look at Rand is criticized at times on this forum to see that some folks have a certain standard they hold everyone up to. If we go down a road of absolutism we will be no more effective than the LP or CP folks are.

That's the reason I like the RLC because they have some standard principles that all their members agree to, but the means by which those goals are accomplished can be different.

This is offtopic. But like Ron always says, congress is supposed to be the most powerful branch of the federal government, we can't forget it!

I know it sucks that this race isn't turning out as good as we all wished, but like Ron says, revolutions are long term projects!

Do you think the neo-cons took over the party in one election? Hell no!
    Do you think the progressives took over the democrats in one election? Hell no!

This is long term people, us liberty minded patriots are out there and we are growing the fastest out of all of em!
    Remember, if only people age 18-30 were allowed to vote we would be winning!

There are many good candidates that we have a shot at getting into congress.
    Sheriff Mack, Karen Kwiatowski, and Thomas Massie are some of my favorites, but there are a lot more!

Here's just some of the liberty-minded candidates that I've found:
    (let me know if you know of any more too!)

US House
    California
    Gary Clift (R) CA-3
    John Dennis (R) CA-8
    Christopher David (R) CA-33

Colorado
    Tisha Casida (I) CO-3

Florida
    Calen Fretts (L) FL-1

Indiana
    Kristi Risk (R) IN-8

Kentucky
    Thomas Massie (R) KY-4

Maryland
    Peter James (R) MD-6

Michigan
    Justin Amash (R-incumbent) MI-3
    Kerry Bentivolio (R) MI-11

Missouri
    Jason Greene (R) MO-5
    Bob Parker (R) MO-8

New York
    Dan O'Connor (D) NY-12

North Carolina
    Dan Eichenbaum (R) NC-11

North Dakota
    Kevin Cramer (R)
    Eric Olson (L)

Ohio
    Richard Ehrbar (L) OH-3
    Bill Yarbrough (R) OH-12

Oregon
    Art Robinson (R) OR-4

Pennsylvania
    Evan Feinberg (R) PA-18

Texas
    Patrick Hisel (L) TX-12
    George Harper (R) TX-14
    Sheriff Richard Mack (R) TX-21
    Steve Susman (L) TX-22
    Wes Riddle (R) TX-25
    Bill Tofte (R) TX-34
    Michael Cole (L) TX-36

Utah
    Jacqueline Smith (R) UT-1
    Mia Love (R) UT-4

Virginia
    Karen Kwiatowski (R) VA-6
    Ken Vaughn (R) VA-11

Washington
    Bob Sauerwein (R) WA-6

US Senate Candidates
    -------------------------------------
    Arizona: Jeff Flake (R) http://www.jeffflake.com/

Indiana: Richard Mourdock (R) http://www.richardmourdock.com

Pennsylvania: Marc Scaringi (R) http://scaringiforsenate2012.com/
    Sam Roher (R) http://www.rohrerforsenate.org/

Nebraska: Don Stenberg (R) http://stenbergforsenate.com/

Texas: Ted Cruz (R) http://www.tedcruz.org/

Wisconsin: Mark Neumann (R) http://neumann2012.com/

Virginia: Jaime Radtke (R) http://radtkeforsenate.com/

Michigan: Scotty Boman (R) http://boman12.org

California: Rick Williams (R) http://www.rickwilliamsforsenate.com/

Florida: Dan Stojadinovic (R) Back2Liberty.org

Ohio: Josh Mandel (R) http://jobs.joshmandel.com/ (libertarian purity questionable)

There is much work left to do in the cause for liberty! We all must do what we can.
    Hard to see this and NOT have hope!

Quote Originally Posted by tbone717 View Post
    That can be a problem, because there are many differing opinions on what defines a liberty-minded candidate and what does not. One only needs to take a look at Rand is criticized at times on this forum to see that some folks have a certain standard they hold everyone up to. If we go down a road of absolutism we will be no more effective than the LP or CP folks are.

That's the reason I like the RLC because they have some standard principles that all their members agree to, but the means by which those goals are accomplished can be different.
    Perhaps it would be best to just post their position on each issue and allow people to decide for themselves?

www.mises.org

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Perhaps it would be best to just post their position on each issue and allow people to decide for themselves?
    Agreed, but even that is difficult. Probably best to have people nominated by forum members, RLC list, other groups that we support and let people make up their own minds based on the states. Viability would help too, hate to see folks dump cash into a candidate that is an extreme longshot when the race next door is winable.

A key question in all this is, "can someone be a liberty candidate and yet have some disagreements on foreign policy?" I would tend to say "yes" with reservations, for example, I would expect a liberty candidate to demand a declaration of war, to stand up for civil liberties, etc. But if someone disagreed on American presence abroad but were right on everything else, for the sake of getting our domestic house in order, they might be worth supporting.

Jeff Flake is a great example. He'd be awesome to have in the Senate. A Washington Post analysis from last year showed him disagreeing with the majority in the House like 25% of the time. More than almost anyone but Amash and Ron Paul, actually. He is a liberty candidate who also charms Republican mainstream folks, and he disagrees with us on foreign policy in some significant ways. But I would rather have him in the Senate than any of his opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by 1836 View Post
    A key question in all this is, "can someone be a liberty candidate and yet have some disagreements on foreign policy?" I would tend to say "yes" with reservations, for example, I would expect a liberty candidate to demand a declaration of war, to stand up for civil liberties, etc. But if someone disagreed on American presence abroad but were right on everything else, for the sake of getting our domestic house in order, they might be worth supporting.

Jeff Flake is a great example. He'd be awesome to have in the Senate. A Washington Post analysis from last year showed him disagreeing with the majority in the House like 25% of the time. More than almost anyone but Amash and Ron Paul, actually. He is a liberty candidate who also charms Republican mainstream folks, and he disagrees with us on foreign policy in some significant ways. But I would rather have him in the Senate than any of his opponents.
    My feelings exactly. He voted for the Patriot Act originally, but then in later years worked with Paul I believe to strip it of some of its provisions.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    +1

I think this one of the best threads on here, great work, we need to have the "Pincers Strategy" from bottom up as well as top down so yes, Congress, Senate, local state legislatures, this is how we OWN the system, others own it with money, we own it with feet on the ground & dedication, money will come too as the number of liberty-people increases
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I added the ones you've recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Crotale View Post
    Yep, that's why I posted their websites for people to look through themselves.

Every one can make their own judgement to which one deserves your support.

Even if I did personally vet every candidate thoroughly people would probably still disagree with me on who we should support.
    Last edited by matt0611; 03-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Indiana Senate:

Mourdock vs Lugar on the issues: http://www.richardmourdock.com/lugar-vs-mourdock

Plus Lugar voted for NDAA. I have an e-mail from Mourdock saying he would have voted against NDAA.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jolynna View Post
    Indiana Senate:

Mourdock vs Lugar on the issues: http://www.richardmourdock.com/lugar-vs-mourdock

Plus Lugar voted for NDAA. I have an e-mail from Mourdock saying he would have voted against NDAA.
    I have him in my original post, but thanks!

I like Mourdock, he seems a very sharp and a big step up compared to Lugar. Here's an interview he did with Peter Schiff not too long ago:

Last edited by matt0611; 03-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.

I have gone through the platform of all the candidates and given a score out of ten based on how true the candidate is to a "Ron Paul Republican". The higher the mark, the closer the candidate's policy proposals to Ron Paul's. That is my knowledge of Ron Paul's views from reading Revolution: A Manifesto, End the Fed, Liberty Defined and A Foreign Policy of Freedom. I haven't read The Case for Gold, however, I know Ron Paul supports the gold standard and I am well-read in the Austrian perspective.

I am not taking candidates' personal views on abortion into account (provided the candidate supports the states' rights to decide as in the constitution), as this is a conentious issue for libertarians and isn't the be all and end all. I have ignored by own views (I'm ancap myself) in making this list, I'm only judging it against Ron Paul's stance on the issues. I don't know anything about the candidates' backgrounds, track record or character. The rating is soley based on the positions listed on their campaign site.

[US House
    California

Gary Clift (R) CA-3

8/10

John Dennis (R) CA-8

9.5/10

Jenny Worman (R) CA-28

6/10

Christopher David (R) CA-33

7/10

Colorado

Tisha Casida (I) CO-3

9.5/10

Florida

Calen Fretts (L) FL-1

8/10

Indiana

Kristi Risk (R) IN-8

7/10

Kentucky

Thomas Massie (R) KY-4

7/10

Maryland

Peter James (R) MD-6

7/10

Gus Alzona (R) MD-8

7/10

Michigan

Justin Amash (R-incumbent) MI-3

Website isn't working.

Kerry Bentivolio (R) MI-11

7.5/10

Missouri

Jason Greene (R) MO-5

8.5/10

Bob Parker (R) MO-8

7/10

New York

Dan O'Connor (D) NY-12

8/10

North Carolina

Dan Eichenbaum (R) NC-11

Couldn't access website.

North Dakota

Kevin Cramer (R)

0/10. Supports (and endorsed) Rick Santorum over Ron Paul.

Eric Olson (L)

Issues not up on website yet.

Ohio

Richard Ehrbar (L) OH-3

Website not live yet.

Bill Yarbrough (R) OH-12

9/10

Oregon

Art Robinson (R) OR-4

8.5/10

Pennsylvania

7.5/10

Evan Feinberg (R) PA-18

8/10. Endorsed by Rand Paul.

Texas

Patrick Hisel (L) TX-12

10/10

George Harper (R) TX-14

9.5/10

Sheriff Richard Mack (R) TX-21

9/10

Steve Susman (L) TX-22

Can't locate his platform on his website.

Wes Riddle (R) TX-25

7/10

Bill Tofte (R) TX-34

8.5/10

Michael Cole (L) TX-36

8/10

Utah

Jacqueline Smith (R) UT-1

8.5/10

Mia Love (R) UT-4

5/10. Background research throws up a lot of questions.

Virginia

Karen Kwiatowski (R) VA-6

10/10. Absolute perfection.

Ken Vaughn (R) VA-11

6.5/10

Washington

Bob Sauerwein (R) WA-6

Site offline.

I'll do Senate candidates some other time, it's taken hours to vet all the congressional candidates so far.
    Last edited by Crotale; 03-10-2012 at 07:22 AM.

www.mises.org

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast