Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: Marc Scaringi or Sam Rohrer

Discussion: Marc Scaringi or Sam Rohrer

Ok folks, here is how the PA Senate race is shaping up. On the primary ballot we have: David Christian, John Kensinger, Sam Rohrer, Marc Scaringi, Tom Smith and Steve Welch

From what I have gathered talking to some local politicians, it is pretty much going to be a contest between Rohrer and Welch. Welch has a lot of the establishment backing, Rohrer has the name recognition. A lot of libertarian-leaning folks backed Rohrer in the gubernatorial primary against Corbett. He seems to line up with a lot of what we are looking for in a candidate. I would classify him as a paleo-con, more so than a libertarian, but there is nothing wrong with that. Scaringi is a great guy on paper, but he has like zero name recognition and very little money. This is his first shot at running for office, and as you know in PA trying to win the state as a rookie candidate is nearly impossible.

So where do we go? Do we put our money & time behind a guy that has no chance of winning? Or do we back a guy that may only be 90% of what we are looking for, but has a far more realistic shot at winning the primary and competing in the general against Casey? Bear in mind that we have 7 weeks before we vote.

Your thoughts?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is no choice at all, Marc Scaringi is the one to vote for. Marc has been endorsed by the Republican Liberty Caucus like Paul. No one can be sure what will happen, there has been no statewide polling done. Marc has won many different straw polls and come in 2nd in others. Marc is having a money bomb going on right now, why not donate? https://www.scaringiforsenate2012.co...dioAdMoneyBomb
    Last edited by EdQ; 03-07-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
    There is no choice at all, Marc Scaringi is the one to vote for. Republican Liberty Caucus endorsed
    And I am a big RLC guy, but if Welch wins the nomination because we focus effort on Scaringi instead of Rohrer then what have we gained? I agree that Scarinigi does have all that we are looking for, BUT, he has little money and organization. And Rohrer is a good guy, he got the backing of a lot of libertarian Republicans when he ran for Governor. It's going to take about 400,000 votes to win the nomination (give or take a few). Can we realistically think that in 7 weeks we can take a guy that no one has ever heard of and win? Or do we back the guy that most people have heard of and has some cash on hand to really compete state wide?

Marc or Sam

I know Marc Scaringi and I tell everyone I meet who he is. I believe he has the experience to shake up Washington and represent the people of PA. Marc is not a career politician nor a wall street hustler. He is a fresh face with the right ideas to restore our country to it's past glory. It is never a gamble to put a round peg in a round hole. Marc is the right person to send to DC. I love you Sam but we need you on the home front to take on Corbett and the rinos.

Just an update - the more I learn about Rohrer the more I like him. He's my pick in this race. I like Scaringi equally, but he isn't ready for this level of office yet. What a pleasure it is though to have two strong libertarian candidates running for the same office.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone717 View Post
    Just an update - the more I learn about Rohrer the more I like him. He's my pick in this race. I like Scaringi equally, but he isn't ready for this level of office yet. What a pleasure it is though to have two strong libertarian candidates running for the same office.
    He looks like a great choice.

They both seem like great guys. No matter how you cut it, this is a ridiculously awesome problem to have. That said, I'm a Rohrer guy because I think he's got the best shot of winning.

This is exactly my thinking.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    They both seem like great guys. No matter how you cut it, this is a ridiculously awesome problem to have. That said, I'm a Rohrer guy because I think he's got the best shot of winning.
    Let's hope we have a similar "problem" in 2016 or 2020 for the nomination.

But yeah I think Rohrer is the guy. He's got the organization, name recognition and I am going to assume he has some cash. He has phone banking operations in place already too - he just posted some pics of people phone banking on his FB feed.

BTW he has a phone from home program. I just signed up for it.
    Last edited by tbone717; 03-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Sorry, but what am I missing about Rohrer? He just seems like a run of the mill Republican to me.
    Now, Scaringi - there's a candidate that I can get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by JNL View Post
    Sorry, but what am I missing about Rohrer? He just seems like a run of the mill Republican to me.
    Now, Scaringi - there's a candidate that I can get excited about.
    Rohrer received the support of the libertarian wing when he ran in the gubernatorial primary, he was endorsed by Russ Diamond (a staunch libertarian) at that time who was running for Lt. Gov.

Here is an interview that should give you a nice overview of what he stands for on the federal level http://www.conservativedeclaration.c...es-sam-rohrer/

Summary: against Read ID, against Patriot Act, for a Fed Audit, for competing currency, against Obamacare, for Soc Security opt outs, pro states rights, limited government champion, for deregulation, supports a flat tax as an improvement over current system (but believes fed withholding to be unconstitutional), mirrors Paul on immigration, against foreign aid, supports congressional declaration of war, against the dept of education.

Honestly, what more would we want??

This is not to take anything away from Scaringi, but there is the issue of who can win - and that is a huge consideration when we decide who we place our efforts behind.. Rohrer has state wide name recognition, organization (remember he ran for gov in 2010) & money, Scaringi does not - and we vote in less than 7 weeks. Remember too, that what we talk about here as far as supporting one candidate or another goes so far beyond our personal vote - but is more so about who are we going to put money and effort behind. The race is not between Scaringi and Rohrer, but instead there are 6 candidates in this race with one of them, Steve Welch, getting the party establishment backing.

Essentially I look at is this way, if we have some grassroots activists working for Rohrer, some for Scaringi - then we are dividing out efforts and potentially we could see Welch win the primary because we were splitting the votes between two candidates we like.
    Last edited by tbone717; 03-09-2012 at 06:49 AM.

I'm 100% behind Rohrer. I like Mark. He spoke recently at our meetup and I admit I liked what I heard and was impressed. I just don't think this is his time. I supported Sam and was involved in his governors race. I like his positions overall. I've met Sam and spoke with him and really respect him. He has the experience, most importantly the name recognition and has run and won several campaigns. He has the organization in place. Don't want to see the vote split between Mark and Sam and hope the two can come to some agreement prior to the primary. Welsh is an absolultely no friend of Liberty. And Casey really has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by liberalnurse View Post
    And Casey really has to go.
    Ain't that the truth.

For those that can't see the bigger picture of the progress that we are making in the libertarian wing of the GOP, consider this. PA has when for the Democrats in every Presidential election since 1992. Five years ago our Senators were Casey and Specter (arguably the biggest RINO in the history of RINOs). Quite possibly by 2013 we could have Toomey (fiscal conservative) and Rohrer (a solid libertarian). What a huge difference 5 years makes.
    Last edited by tbone717; 03-09-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Rohrer is Demint. Scaringi is Paul. Rohrer is not a libertarian by any stretch. He is just a fiscal conservative, who I am sure would vote for extending the drug war, the war on terror, and couldn't care less about monetary policy. But by all means go crazy for him just because he has a better shot at winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Harris View Post
    Rohrer is Demint. Scaringi is Paul. Rohrer is not a libertarian by any stretch. He is just a fiscal conservative, who I am sure would vote for extending the drug war, the war on terror, and couldn't care less about monetary policy. But by all means go crazy for him just because he has a better shot at winning.
    Did you listen to the interview posted a few posts back?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    From the above: against foreign aid, for declaration of war, for audit of fed and competing currencies, against Patriot Act.

He is better than Jim DeMint. He is also better than Bob Casey, the Democrat incumbent. He is also better than Marc Scaringi, because Scaringi will not be in the Senate.

He isn't perfect. If you want perfect then we will continue to never make any progress.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    From the above: against foreign aid, for declaration of war, for audit of fed and competing currencies, against Patriot Act.

He is better than Jim DeMint. He is also better than Bob Casey, the Democrat incumbent. He is also better than Marc Scaringi, because Scaringi will not be in the Senate.

He isn't perfect. If you want perfect then we will continue to never make any progress.
    Right and as a grassroots activist we represent more than one vote - potentially each activist could bring in hundreds if not thousands of votes. If we have grassroots activists working against each other then potentially the establishment candidate could win the primary because we are splitting our efforts.
    Last edited by tbone717; 03-09-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks for the interview link, tbone717. I listened.
    I don't know the history of Rohrer's endorsement by libertarians, but I suspect that he must have simply been the best candidate at the time. I am convinced that there is a better candidate today, and I plan to go with my gut and support the best candidate rather than the one who is currently most popular. If people would stop worrying about electability (which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy), Ron Paul would be doing quite well, no?
    After this further research, I wouldn't be *crushed* if Rohrer won the primary - but I plan to do whatever I can to help Scaringi win.

Quote Originally Posted by JNL View Post
    Thanks for the interview link, tbone717. I listened.
    I don't know the history of Rohrer's endorsement by libertarians, but I suspect that he must have simply been the best candidate at the time. I am convinced that there is a better candidate today, and I plan to go with my gut and support the best candidate rather than the one who is currently most popular. If people would stop worrying about electability (which becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy), Ron Paul would be doing quite well, no?
    After this further research, I wouldn't be *crushed* if Rohrer won the primary - but I plan to do whatever I can to help Scaringi win.
    It is a matter of realism. The primary is in less than seven weeks and the guy has no name recognition, no money and little if any organization. Rohrer has all of the above and even has a phone from home program in place.

BTW what policy position of Rohrer's do you think is fundamentally different than Scaringi's? When you compare the two, I see little if any difference philosophically. The only difference that I can see is superficial as Scaringi's website is designed to attract the RP supporters by using the right buzzwords, where Rohrer's has a more broad based appeal.

As per his website, foreign policy is not mentioned. Neither is monetary policy. Neither are civil liberties. In my opinion if candidates aren't willing to call out the Patriot Act or the Iraq War while campaigning then they are showing that they are too afraid to go against their Party and the establishment, regardless of what they might believe. If these major issues aren't even mentioned on his website then they must not be high priorities for him. His website reads like a typical Demint Republican who might give libertarians some winks every now and then but when push comes to shove will stand in line with his Party. Is he really against foreign aid or is he only against foreign aid to countries who aren't Israel. He says he supports the 10th amendment like most Rs but never mentions certain issues which would show he is actually consistent on it.

As per his website, foreign policy is not mentioned. Neither is monetary policy. Neither are civil liberties. In my opinion if candidates aren't willing to call out the Patriot Act or the Iraq War while campaigning then they are showing that they are too afraid to go against their Party and the establishment, regardless of what they might believe. If these major issues aren't even mentioned on his website then they must not be high priorities for him. His website reads like a typical Demint Republican who might give libertarians some winks every now and then but when push comes to shove will stand in line with his Party. Is he really against foreign aid or is he only against foreign aid to countries who aren't Israel. He says he supports the 10th amendment like most Rs but never mentions certain issues which would show he is actually consistent on it.
    Then listen to the interview. He is very clear on these issues. If you become an activist for a candidate simply because of what is on their website then I don't know what can be said.

Perhaps though, his website he is trying to reach a broader cross section of voter and not simply trying to appeal to one segment of the electorate. That is why I research candidates fully before committing time & money to their campaign. If you look back on my posts on the subject over the last week or so you will see a transition in my support from being on the fence between the two (though leaning Scaringi) to now being fully behind Rohrer and hopefully will be able to persuade a few hundred people or so that I interact with on a regular basis to vote for him.

I'd definitely vote for him in the general, but I'm not donating to him (or scaringi) mostly because I am broke. I understand the logic of voting for Rohrer I just don't quite trust him to be really any different. He's been in politics a while and he knows what to say now just like all those other "tea party" candidates did in 2010. And how many are actually voting the way they campaigned? Rand Paul? Mike Lee? I'm just very wary of these so-called libertarian republicans who are so quick to fall in line with the Santorums of the Party.

I'd definitely vote for him in the general, but I'm not donating to him (or scaringi) mostly because I am broke. I understand the logic of voting for Rohrer I just don't quite trust him to be really any different. He's been in politics a while and he knows what to say now just like all those other "tea party" candidates did in 2010. And how many are actually voting the way they campaigned? Rand Paul? Mike Lee? I'm just very wary of these so-called libertarian republicans who are so quick to fall in line with the Santorums of the Party.
    Most of the Tea Party senators have stuck by their ideas, but their ideas were not completely libertarian from the start.

I would trust Roher to stick to his guns which are decidedly Constitutionalist, unless he proves otherwise.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand and Lee have an excellent voting record. I don't agree with them 100% of the time, but then again I don't agree with anyone 100% of the time, including Ron Paul. So I am more than happy with someone who votes the way I believe 90% of the time, and Rand and Lee are both well within that. To paraphrase what Georgia Avenger said earlier, if you are looking for purity you will have to wait a very long time to have success (if ever). One needs to look no farther than the 40 year failure known as the Libertarian Party to see that.

As far as trust. I give everyone a shot at being true to their word. If they go against their word, then when they are up for reelection, I will work my butt off against them.

fair enough
    Don't get me wrong Shane, I am not saying who you personally should vote for - that's your call of course. I am urging the folks that will bang out 1000 phone calls and knock on a few hundred doors between now and the primary to focus their efforts on the one that is winnable rather than the one that may be preferable, because like I said there is very little if any fundamental difference between the two.

My biggest nightmare is that Rohrer loses to Welch by 1 point and then we realize that by splitting our efforts up and were the cause of the loss.

Don't get me wrong Shane, I am not saying who you personally should vote for - that's your call of course. I am urging the folks that will bang out 1000 phone calls and knock on a few hundred doors between now and the primary to focus their efforts on the one that is winnable rather than the one that may be preferable, because like I said there is very little if any fundamental difference between the two.

My biggest nightmare is that Rohrer loses to Welch by 1 point and then we realize that by splitting our efforts up and were the cause of the loss.
    Agreed. It just really irritates me to support someone who I can't picture voting for Ron Paul or supporting him publicly, like Scaringi has.

From a photo Rohrer was tagged in.

"I took this picture a few years back at a student liberty forum at Drexel University. Two great Americans discussing the issues of the day. Sam and Judge Andrew Napolitano."

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast