Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kony 2012 - This won't be the last you see of this, so you may as well watch it now

Quote Originally Posted by coffeewithchess View Post
    I agree with this. When I watched the video last night, I kept wondering if the money spent/raised by the organization would be of good use if they put a bounty on Kony, and got a private firm to get him out?
    There was a bounty on Idi Amin.
    He died in a hospital bed in Saudi Arabia and is buried there.

There are US Troops in Uganda.. Have been for some time.
    The Uganda Army is every bit as corrupt and evil as this guy.

Even if he is killed,, another will stand up in his place. Uganda is a $#@! hole and has a long history of following $#@!heads.

We need to get out,, stay out and warn others to take a wide berth around it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army (for a brief reference)
    In the 1800s Great Britain colonized Uganda. While the people of the South were treated fairly, the people of the North, or the Acholi, were treated as slaves. Regional divisions fell along resource distribution lines, and the southern region, with its rich soil and fertile land, became the center of agricultural development.[20] This left the north comparatively underdeveloped. After British colonization the Acholi continued to feel underrepresented and oppressed, blaming their woes on the government of Uganda. In 1988, Alice Lakwena established the Holy Spirit Movement, a resistance movement claimed to be inspired by the Holy Spirit of God. She portrayed herself as a prophet who received messages from the Holy Spirit of God. She expressed the belief that the Acholi could defeat the government run by Yoweri Museveni by casting off witchcraft and spiritualism embedded in their culture. According to her messages from God, her followers should cover their bodies with shea nut oil as protection from bullets, never take cover or retreat in battle, and never kill snakes or bees.[21]

Joseph Kony would later preach a similar superstition encouraging soldiers to use oil to draw a cross on their chest as a protection from bullets. During an interview Alice Lakwena distanced herself from Kony, claiming that the spirit doesn’t want them to kill civilians or prisoners of war. Kony sought to align himself with Lakwena and in turn garner support from her constituents, even going so far as to claim they were cousins.[22] Meanwhile, Kony gained a reputation as having been possessed by spirits. He became a spiritual figure or a medium. Lakwena scored several key victories on the battlefield and began a march towards Kampala.[when?] Kony seized this opportunity to recruit members of the Ugandan People's Democratic Army (UPDA) and Holy Spirit remnants. In 1988, when Lakwena was defeated in Jinja and fled to Kenya, Kony became the leader of the Holy Spirit Mobile Force II some years later.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    by the way, use of military force has already been authorized as of January 2010.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...11s1067enr.pdf

section 3 paragraph 1.

edit: this is a reminder that we're all being played.
    Last edited by flightlesskiwi; 03-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.

I have no $#@!ing words.

I lied. I do.

Rick Warren is in on this bull$#@!. He of the Kill the Gays bill. Also in Uganda.

Well played, hipster $#@!s. Get rich and send money to a government that enslaves children in their military so they can kill gay people. Oh, and kill enslaved children while going after a bad guy. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

What the $#@!.

Anyone here advocating Letters of Marque for this nonsense needs to reexamine their philosophy. Advocating that action is, in principle, no different than the invasion of Iraq.
    Last edited by Feeding the Abscess; 03-08-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by iamse7en View Post
    I thought a letter of marque and reprisal is only for threats against the US. Kony is not a threat against the US. It's not the role of the US government to protect foreign citizens from their tyrants.
    indeed.
    For Liberty!

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    I have no $#@!ing words.

I lied. I do.

Rick Warren is in on this bull$#@!. He of the Kill the Gays bill. Also in Uganda.

Well played, hipster $#@!s. Get rich and send money to a government that enslaves children in their military so they can kill gay people. Oh, and kill enslaved children while going after a bad guy. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

What the $#@!.

Anyone here advocating Letters of Marque for this nonsense needs to reexamine their philosophy. Advocating that action is, in principle, no different than the invasion of Iraq.
    Rick Warren has always been a phony ,he was a Council on Foreign Relations member which qualifies him as a phony minister.No pastor in their right mind would join a United Nations type of organization and become some political bureaucrat.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAmerica View Post
    Rick Warren has always been a phony ,he was a Council on Foreign Relations member which qualifies him as a phony minister.No pastor in their right mind would join a United Nations type of organization and become some political bureaucrat.
    Wow I did not know that about Warren. I never cared for him, but this is news to me.
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

The Kony Kollection

At the beginning of the documentary we see Jason Russell tell a crowd of young people that they must STAND AGAINST WAR. By the end of the documentary, he advocates MILITARY INTERVENTION*. Perhaps we should think about this a little more deeply.

Charity Review:
    “Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.”

Commentary:

Related Sources:

The Solution?

Image: The Founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA). Who themselves have used child-soldiers.
    “I will be as harsh as truth, and uncompromising as justice... I am in earnest, I will not equivocate, I will not excuse, I will not retreat a single inch, and I will be heard.” ~ William Lloyd Garrison

Quote Originally Posted by TGGRV View Post
    Conza, why do you even bother? lol.
    Worthy Threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Nubraskan View Post

I'm a firm believer of a constitutional foreign policy. I'm a firm believer that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were a mistake. I don't want to be the policeman of the world. But how can I provide meaningful support to stopping this guy without supporting sending American troops overseas. I never abandon my principles, but it's difficult not to in this case.
    Sounds like the film maker is scamming for cash: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/...fzlow.facebook

That is strange, cuz the white guys in that pic look gay to me, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Conza88 View Post

The Kony Kollection

At the beginning of the documentary we see Jason Russell tell a crowd of young people that they must STAND AGAINST WAR. By the end of the documentary, he advocates MILITARY INTERVENTION*. Perhaps we should think about this a little more deeply.

Charity Review:
    “Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.”

Commentary:

Related Sources:

The Solution?

Image: The Founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA). Who themselves have used child-soldiers.
    That is a devastating collection of information and an absolute beat down on Invisible Children.
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.

Basically the "popularity" of this will be used as a justification for the government to put troops throughout Africa. That's exactly what will happen. The left isn't anti-war anyways... As long as you call it a "humanitarian intervention" they will cheer the bloodshed on as much as the neocons/Republicans cheered on Iraq.

It is a compelling cause. However the video convinently leaves out a key point that will turn many people away, and that is that they advocate direct military intervention by the US and international community. The unintended consequences would undoubtedly be the deaths of thousands of innocent people in addition to the massacre of these child soldiers they claim to want to rescue. The video even attemps to justify this POV by showing a former child soldier saying he would rather die than have no future. The narrator's use of his son to describe the situation is also manipulative. Obviously the solution is "stop kony" as the child says, however, if his dad told him about all the people that will have to die for that to happen, would the child then struggle with this new adult perspective? Reminds me of The Dark Knight vs The Joker. As Alfred says "some men just want to see the world burn" and to catch his man they burned down the forest. They are not being 100% honest and so it is not a group I can get behind. My .02 cents.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Kony deserves an award, he adopted 30,000 kids and gave them employment despite Uganda's struggling economy.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    That is strange, cuz the white guys in that pic look gay to me, just saying.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that...
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Kony deserves an award, he adopted 30,000 kids and gave them employment despite Uganda's struggling economy.
    Sarcasm I hope.

Anyway, can someone answer my question, can Americans still sign up for foreign militias/military?

This only requires a letter of Marque and Reprisal.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

Quote Originally Posted by DerailingDaTrain View Post
    Sarcasm I hope.

Anyway, can someone answer my question, can Americans still sign up for foreign militias/military?
    A number of students went to Libya, and I haven't heard anything about them getting punished in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Athan View Post
    No, that's not even close to the purpose of a letter of Marque and Reprisal. Advocating the use of Letters in this case is philosophically no better or different than advocating for the invasion of Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Athan View Post
    From who and on what grounds?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Just heard this on NPR today: Fact Checking the Kony 2012 video. There has been no war in Uganda since 2006 and the LRA isn't even in Uganda anymore.
    All your voter base are belong to us!

Wow, there are a lot of people flipping out here.

I'm usually thought of as one who is conspiracy theory-oriented (many of them aren't even "theories"). But for people to claim the entire IC organization was a "plot" by our government is.... how do I put this...over the top? Or at least a premature and huge jumping to conclusions.

I remember hearing about this organization a number of years ago. So it's not like they're brand new and unheard of. Also, someone I know has friends who have met them and she claims they're a good organization. She said they made mistakes when they first started out, because they were young then and not as knowledgeable.

Do I agree with the government getting involved? No. I agree with those of you who said our troops don't need to be involved in another humanitarian-type military adventure.

Is it possible this group is being used by those in power who want to do something over there? Yes. But I just think we should refrain from jumping to conclusions about the people of that organization, or their motives.

As others have said on facebook, etc..Even if this organization is iffy, the fact that this cause is getting attention (FINALLY) is a good thing. Hopefully Kony will be found and brought to justice, and we'll see that social media can be used for something other than posting silly pics and playing games.

I'm sure most of you saw this already, but IC responded to the critiques. One of the persons doing the criticizing appears to be some young guy with a tumblr blog. It's funny, how just about anyone on the internet can cause a stir.

http://www.invisiblechildren.com.s3-...critiques.html

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Wow, there are a lot of people flipping out here.

I'm usually thought of as one who is conspiracy theory-oriented (many of them aren't even "theories"). But for people to claim the entire IC organization was a "plot" by our government is.... how do I put this...over the top? Or at least a premature and huge jumping to conclusions.
    because it's impossible for a some people to imagine that there is an alternative to genuinely concerned of saving Ugandans, and opportunistic for military blood, such as....somebody just wants to make money, or take personal revenge.

I put my thoughts into a video, after watching Kony 2012... FWIW

"One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Nubraskan View Post

I'm a firm believer of a constitutional foreign policy. I'm a firm believer that the Iraq and Afghanistan wars were a mistake. I don't want to be the policeman of the world. But how can I provide meaningful support to stopping this guy without supporting sending American troops overseas. I never abandon my principles, but it's difficult not to in this case.
    marque and reprisal...

and no, its not difficult. if you acknowledge that the reasons such warlords exist is because most of the world has statist policies, especially where it concerns firearms, you realize that such problems are the cause of the people who allow statist policies to exist without resisting them.

do they deserve to be killed or mutilated because of it? no.

but removing one warlord when theres hundreds more around the world, and who easily come to power because of their advantegous access to weapons and manpower, you realize that what ever you do, including going to war with him, will have little positive effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    ...ask him why he should be able to have a dick since he could rape someone with it, then kick him in the vagina for good measure so he'll remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    If we could create a Department of Hookers and Blow that would keep these villains busy for their entire adult lives, and kept away from doing their stated jobs, I'd support that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoddle View Post
    pretty hypocritical ...Send your money or yourself to help stop Kony, but don't be for forcing our soldiers and other citizens to pay the cost of getting this guy.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Yowan View Post
    We do have a possible constitutional option to solve this issue. It's called "Letter of Marque and Reprisal "
    Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the United States Constitution
    [Congress shall have Power...] To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water.

A "letter of marque and reprisal" would involve permission to cross an international border to effect a reprisal (take some action against an attack or injury) authorized by an issuing jurisdiction to conduct reprisal operations outside its borders.

The U.S. has used this before to capture pirates and Ron Paul suggested this for Bin Laden after September 11th and again in July of 2007.
    He also suggested it for use on pirates in 2009.
    However, the bills he introduced were not enacted into law and we decided to go to "war".

A War is not needed, but we can resolve this issue and help.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    plenty of kids that need support within your own city and state, are you doing everything you can for them already?
    this. if we are going to violently steal money from americans, the least we can do as freedom lovers until we can abolish the IRS is make sure as much of the confiscated wealth as possible is spent on fellow americans.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    Konys been up to this for 25 years why all of a sudden does everyone give a $#@!?
    if you wanna stop him get a gun and a plane ticket
    this. except because of not only Ugandan, International, as well as, and sadly, American regulations, youll have to get the gun on the blackmarket in the bush rather than being able to fly with one from america.

Quote Originally Posted by bolil View Post
    I WOULD GET A $#@!ING GUN AND A TICKET EXCEPT MY GOVERNMENT WONT $#@!ING LET ME. That is the solution. VOLUNTEERS that FUND THEMSELVES. Not the government stepping in. This guy with the camerma wants to send in other men to fight this battle. Next time he should bring a rifle to Uganda and not a camera. "YAY we sent other men to do the fighting for our cause." $#@!ing cowards!
    once again, this. kony is the untintended consequences of international gun control and corrupt organizations vying for power. even the organizations that have been enenemies of Kony have probably used child soldiers or committed human rights violations. in the end, people shouldnt be fighting for one group or another, but defending themselves against whichever group decides to attack them.

but with gun control and forced allegiance to state (who, in africa, is just the successful warlord or despotic general), this is not possible.

remove that, and the people who care can prove it by hopping on a plane with their ar15s.
    ...ask him why he should be able to have a dick since he could rape someone with it, then kick him in the vagina for good measure so he'll remember it.
    If we could create a Department of Hookers and Blow that would keep these villains busy for their entire adult lives, and kept away from doing their stated jobs, I'd support that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toureg89 View Post
    marque and reprisal...
    NO. Advocating Letters of Marque and Reprisal for this purpose is no different philosophically than advocating invasion of Iraq. That would be an act of aggression and assassination.

Kony isn't even in Uganda anymore. I'm not certain how propping up an inefficient "charitable" organization or authoritarian regime is going to help his victims.

Konys been up to this for 25 years why all of a sudden does everyone give a $#@!?
    damn right casey +rep

But that would involve effort and initiative. It's much easier to share a video on Facebook and change your status to a message of outrage.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NO. Advocating Letters of Marque and Reprisal for this purpose is no different philosophically than advocating invasion of Iraq. That would be an act of aggression and assassination.
    wrong. as stated earlier, if Kony or his LRA has ever attacked american businesses or people, that would validate a response.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks...2.80.932003.29

the LRA operates in predominately Central and Western Central Africa: Uganda, Sudan, exc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks...2.80.932003.29

there have been attacks on aid workers in those countries. if it was by the LRA, and if any of them were Americans or a part of an American NGO, then it would be valid to go after Kony.

this guy is british, but if he had been American, it would validate MnR.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4415214.stm

if it is constitutionally a government's duty to protect american ships peacefully traveling through the seas, it is also constitutionally a duty og the government to protect americans who are peacefully feeding and healing in foreign lands.
    Last edited by Toureg89; 03-09-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Lightbulb My response

I wrote a response to this video on my blog: http://www.elliotmlee.com/2012/kony/

Brief excerpt:

We indeed live in a world where terrible things happen.

They happen every day. Every minute. Every second.

And we can do a lot to stop bad things from happening.

We should push for an adequate police force. We should encourage our friends and family who are helping to organize governance, fight crime, and set up fair and just laws that keep people safe. I’m sure that’s exactly what many local Africans, near the scenes of the crimes, are doing.

We should do everything that we can to ensure liberty and freedom for all people.

Each individual ought to have a right to his or her own life. And it’s pretty clear that isn’t currently the case for many people in Africa.

So we should do what we can to fix this problem. It’s a wonderful thing to spread awareness about the crimes being committed over there. We should care for others, and give graciously to people who are in need.

I believe that true Christians are marked by radical generosity. See Luke 10:25-37 and Matthew 25:31-46. We should always care for our neighbors.

So I truly admire and support the sentiment of the video.

But when you start talking about spending other people’s money — well, to put it plainly, that’s theft.

You don’t have a right to reach into your neighbor’s pocket and take his money. Not even if you really need it. It’s up to him to voluntarily give it to you.

Your comments appreciated.
    Last edited by intelliot; 03-09-2012 at 07:13 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast