Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trajectory Unclear: Feb 2013 Asteroid Will Be Within Thousands of Miles of Earth

Trajectory Unclear: Feb 2013 Asteroid Will Be Within Thousands of Miles of Earth

Trajectory Unclear: Feb 2013 Asteroid Will Be Within Thousands of Miles of Earth

Impact Would Be As Big As Siberian Tunguska Event; 1000 Times More Powerful Than Hiroshima

Mac Slavo
    SHTFPlan.com
    Monday, March 5, 2012

In the history of the solar system, and even in human history, there are clear records of extraordinary and devastating catastrophes… On the landscapes of other planets, where the records of the past are better preserved, there is abundant evidence of major catastrophes. It’s all a matter of time scales. An event which is improbable in a hundred years, may be inevitable in a hundred million years. Even on the Earth in this century there have been bizarre natural events.

Carl Sagan
    Cosmos – A Personal Voyage (1980) [video]

rest of article here:
    http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...shima_03042012
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is why we should have space based weapons, not to use on the Earth's surface, but for the once every few-thousand-year asteroid that could make for a bad few decades if it were to hit.

Or worse.

Now if we just had folks responsible enough to trust with them...

Last edited by WilliamC; 03-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

NO MORE LIARS! Ron Paul 2012

you realize that if such weapons existed they would be far more likely to be used to cause a catastrophe than prevent one

Please just strike earth so we can get the world over with...

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    you realize that if such weapons existed they would be far more likely to be used to cause a catastrophe than prevent one
    Like I said, if we can just find folks responsible enough to trust with them.

I of course qualify, but I'm only one man and might not be around much longer, so there would have to be others I could equally trust.

Perhaps you?

But there already exists an asteroid which will someday hit the Earth, and early-detection combined with some sort of space-based technology to deflect or destroy it will be the only way to prevent it or to ameliorate the damage.

If we expect to live long enough we will have to worry about this, but I tend to think for now it's kinda far down on the list.

We're more likely to kill each other before that happens
    Ron Paul: He irritates more idiots in fewer words than any American politician ever.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamC View Post
    Like I said, if we can just find folks responsible enough to trust with them.
    Like th federal governement?

This is why we should have space based weapons, not to use on the Earth's surface, but for the once every few-thousand-year asteroid that could make for a bad few decades if it were to hit.
    They are making a gravitational craft in Russia that may be used to deflect an asteroid that may be headed for the west coast of the US.

No need for a weapon, just a really big spacecraft that has enough of a gravitational pull to pull an asteroid off course by a few mm. Of course, it could also be used to direct an asteroid at the White House..
    Last edited by bluesc; 03-05-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    I learned on the history channel, on the Ancient Aliens show that there are in fact laser weapons embedded in the permafrost somewhere around siberia. They are there to protect the planet from such events. There is proof of it in our archaeological record.

So i'm not concerned about it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Like th federal governement?
    LOL.

No, this would have to be a World Government I'm afraid, with me at it's head.

But we're a long way from having to worry about it, so it's nothing I'm pushing for yet

LOL.

No, this would have to be a World Government I'm afraid, with me at it's head.

But we're a long way from having to worry about it, so it's nothing I'm pushing for yet
    Funny, many scientists are also calling for a world government to make the human civilization advance to Type I on the Kardashev scale.

I don't trust you, Smoking man. You + space always ends badly.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesc View Post
    Funny, many scientists are also calling for a world government to make the human civilization advance to Type I on the Kardashev scale.

I don't trust you, Smoking man. You + space always ends badly.
    Good for you, I don't trust me either

I remember something my mother once asked me a long time ago, in response to what I don't know. But I was always the kind of kid who was a know-it-all and insufferable too boot, so I can imagine it was something absurd, an 'if only everyone would do so and so' kind of statement.

She said "what if the whole world thought the way you do?"

And I remember replying "it would be great because everyone would stop lying to each other and start making sense to me."

Point being, the hardest thing is to realize other people don't think like you do (or I do) so what is persuasive to you (or me) might not be to them.

Of course I can't help it that most folks I talk to seem to be lying to themselves about some things and don't seem to think as far into the future as I am prone to do, but what can I do about that?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Please just strike earth so we can get the world over with...
    Really? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesc View Post
    They are making a gravitational craft in Russia that may be used to deflect an asteroid that may be headed for the west coast of the US.

No need for a weapon, just a really big spacecraft that has enough of a gravitational pull to pull an asteroid off course by a few mm. Of course, it could also be used to direct an asteroid at the White House..
    Artificial gravity would be the preferred method for deflection, if it can be made to work and powered with theoretically available forms of energy.

Just match velocity with whatever it is you are trying to deflect a few miles from the surface and power up the mass generator, then deccelerate. Depending on how far from Earth you start it would take the minimal amount of energy possible.

Now if we could do this somewhat cheaply then terraforming becomes more possible, since we could bring in materials from the outer solar system to Mars to increase the atmosphere, and possibly enough water in the form of comets to Venus to rain out most of the atmosphere and hydrate the surface, though that would take 10's of thousands of years.

Far better if we can find and travel to other solar systems with habitable planets, but as far as I can tell this isn't even theoretically possible yet.

Maybe someday...

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Really? Wow.
    What can I say, this world has gone to $#@!. We've earned God's wrath, I'm personally surprised he's put up with us for this long.

Artificial gravity would be the preferred method for deflection, if it can be made to work and powered with theoretically available forms of energy.

Just match velocity with whatever it is you are trying to deflect a few miles from the surface and power up the mass generator, then deccelerate. Depending on how far from Earth you start it would take the minimal amount of energy possible.

Now if we could do this somewhat cheaply then terraforming becomes more possible, since we could bring in materials from the outer solar system to Mars to increase the atmosphere, and possibly enough water in the form of comets to Venus to rain out most of the atmosphere and hydrate the surface, though that would take 10's of thousands of years.

Far better if we can find and travel to other solar systems with habitable planets, but as far as I can tell this isn't even theoretically possible yet.

Maybe someday...
    I'll stop pretending to know things now.

- A former IR major soon to be switching to physics

Or worse.

Now if we just had folks responsible enough to trust with them...

There's been a lot of plans put forth on how to move asteroids without having to weaponize space.

Like deploying solar sails on the surface that move it in another direction, or landing a ton of jets on the surface and taking control of it.

A space based weapon is too much.
    It's just an opinion... man...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

" Be sure to get your very own Orgoonian™ Action Figure while supplies last."
    Ex Gladio Libertas
    Bend meetup video
    YouTube - Ron Paul rally in Bend, Oregon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCVo1...eature=related

All your delegates are belong to us!

Its not on the torino scale nor the palermo scale. In addition it would not be bigger than the tunguska event even if it hit. There are other asteroids out there with a larger chance of wreaking havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    There's been a lot of plans put forth on how to move asteroids without having to weaponize space.

Like deploying solar sails on the surface that move it in another direction, or landing a ton of jets on the surface and taking control of it.

A space based weapon is too much.
    Well a rock dropped from orbit is a space based weapon, so just having the technology to do one implies the other.

The safeguards needed to protect the Earth from misuse of said technology would have to be the same in either case.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Bwaaahaha!
    Love that scene!
    " Be sure to get your very own Orgoonian™ Action Figure while supplies last."
    Ex Gladio Libertas
    Bend meetup video
    YouTube - Ron Paul rally in Bend, Oregon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCVo1...eature=related

All your delegates are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I learned on the history channel, on the Ancient Aliens show that there are in fact laser weapons embedded in the permafrost somewhere around siberia. They are there to protect the planet from such events. There is proof of it in our archaeological record.

So i'm not concerned about it.

Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

17,000 miles is still pretty far away. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...stronomer.html

The space rock will come within 17,000 miles of Earth, which is closer than some of our satellites, but Plait says this is nothing to worry about.
    He adds: ‘Seventeen thousand miles is well beneath many of our own orbiting satellites. To the best of my knowledge, this is the closest pass of a decent-sized asteroid ever seen before the actual pass itself. However, let’s again be very clear - it will miss. In astronomical terms, 17,000 miles is pretty close, but in real human terms it’s a clean miss.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1oHXxxxoB

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who says we don't
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

RT is hyping

Unsurprisingly, though very irritatingly, I’ve seen a lot of websites writing about this as if the asteroid will hit. For example, rt.com has a very confused article about DA14 claiming it will somehow both miss us and hit us:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/ba...-us-next-year/

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Who says we don't
    Don't talk about Fight Club!

There were at least 10 Space Shuttle missions that were DoD related, most of them classified, so who knows what they put up there?

Now we have to use the Russians to launch our payloads, so I doubt we are currently up to anything nefarious.

The outer ring of geosynchronous satellites are @ 22,300 nautical miles Those are your military comm sats, TV/radio, surveillance, etc. There are others in highly elliptical orbits aka Molinya/M22. GLONASS/GPS are in the 6,000 nm orbits. there should be some calculations on the 3 axis trajectory of the object, if it's only 11 months out.

The asteroid passes well inside the most critical satellite orbit paths as well as that biggest satellite target orbiting the earth, the moon.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 03-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

You mean we get an extra year?! Awesome! I thought the world was gonna end in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by ZanZibar View Post
    You mean we get an extra year?! Awesome! I thought the world was gonna end in 2012.
    Nothing is guaranteed.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast