Thread: Why oh why didn't Ron Paul vote on the NDAA

Why oh why didn't Ron Paul vote on the NDAA

I've spend HOURS trying to research this over the last 24 hours and all I've got is this:

Paul voted "no" on the house version. His son, Senator Rand Paul voted "no" in the Senate. The matter of NDAA was voted on twice (reconciliation committee). Paul was not present at the second and final vote. There were too many "yays" to override the decision and he was at a debate at the time of the second vote.

But he has always voted 'no' on such things as this before, why didn't he make himself known?

I also heard that a non vote is the SAME as a no vote but I don't think that's true.

Please someone answer this conclusively? Would be much appreciated.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ron has always voted against this type of crap. He says he's against it. His track record isn't flimsy.

This is a good man, I trust him. What's the question?
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

It just doesn't look good if he always votes on such things but when the BIG one comes along he doesn't vote at all. There must be a reason.

It was answered in your original post. He was in Iowa/NH.

If you want to know exactly what he was doing on the day of the vote, I'm pretty sure he was in Iowa telling a crowd that their Representitve didn't deserve their vote because he supported the NDAA.

His "no" vote wouldn't have changed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    I've spend HOURS trying to research this over the last 24 hours...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...highlight=ndaa
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravik View Post
    I keep hearing people say Paul didn't vote on the NDAA
    When in fact, he did:
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll375.xml#N
    HR 1540, aka National Defense Authorization Act.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsai3904 View Post
    That bill has had a lot of votes.

Here's a history of all the votes related to that bill:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...1540&tab=votes
    Ron Paul didn't vote on the Conference Report, which is the last vote.
    Last edited by hillertexas; 03-05-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

I guess it makes sense that IF he knew his vote wouldn't mean anything AND he was super busy with his campaign, he would keep doing what was more productive. I bet he'd have been there if the numbers were split. It just looks odd on record.

Anyone have a link handy to a list of things he did vote on that were of significance such as patriot act, debt ceiling etc.? Useful to have such sound bites.

EDIT: Sorry, hillertexas, just got your comments. Thanks for that.
    Last edited by AndyW; 03-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.

I asked the same question a long time ago. The answer I liked best came from otherone

" A 'nay' is the same as abstaining. Only those in favor needed to show up. "

Dr. Paul's "no show" was the same as a nay vote.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyW View Post
    Anyone have a link handy to a list of things he did vote on that were of significance such as patriot act, debt ceiling etc.? Useful to have such sound bites.
    http://www.votesmart.org/candidate/key-votes/296/

Ron Paul Introduces Legislation to Strike NDAA’s Unconstitutional Section 1021:
    Last edited by hillertexas; 03-05-2012 at 01:04 PM.
    R[∃vo˩]ution

I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. -Ronald Reagan

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.